31% of Taiwanese earn less than NT$30,000; 10% earn over NT$61,000 per month

Amazingly Jennings can write and research great articles when he wants. Really feel bad that the quality of his stuff dropped. Not all his fault cos Taiwan can be tough place to make a living and so is journalism.

Read this article to get a clear understanding of what has been happening in Taiwan for two decades.

Wages only went up 0.9% a year prior to the financial crisis.

1 Like

The title of that 2012 Forbes piece says it all. Through tighter integration with the PRC, Taiwanā€™s ā€œcompetitivenessā€ relies on pushing down wages. Great if youā€™re a factory boss; sh*tty for everyone else.

Guy

1 Like

The landlords get rich! Tenants go broke!

No, but the figures of that site are usually complete bullshit. Idk what the sources are.

I donā€™t think Taiwan can be held accountable for his shitty journalism.

Real estate inflation brought to you by ten years of quantitative easing.

This doesnā€™t end well.

Of course, when you have low wages, more businesses would want to come here. Thatā€™s what worked for Taiwan in the 60s-70s. Looks like itā€™s working again now:

The interest in Taiwan owes partly to a cheaper pool of talent than in China, where labor costs are climbing steadily. In Taiwan, entry-level engineers with masterā€™s degrees employed in electronics or telecommunications earn an average of about 45,000 New Taiwan dollars ($1,509) a month, according to a local staffing agency.

How much of that #5 wealth is KMT assets?

I was going to post that to get peopleā€™s opinions.

So we have reached lowest common denominator status in the region.

My opinion - the quality of academic collaborations suggested were very poor and minor investments . You are not getting to get top AI engineers from Asia Uni.
A cloud collaboration with Songhai Uni?
Both private unis and not highly rated in Taiwan.
So Iā€™m a little bit suspect there is much to this.

2 Likes

A lot of older folks have life insurance , basically private pensions . They were really popular as interest rates were pretty good then. Also a lot of Taiwanese own stocks local and foreign .

1 Like

Jiaotung is top notch. One year they beat out MIT to lead the world in publications in the leading electrical engineering journal (IEEE).

Google and IBM have also set up Taiwanese bases for AI-related R&D. Google has announced an initiative bringing together the public and private sectors and academia, including the prestigious National Taiwan University and National Chiao Tung University, to train 5,000 AI professionals. It intends to hire the cream of the crop.

Probably why so many open.up their own business. Often to still be lazy an.unproductive, and many earning less than their 30k slave driving boss paid them.

Taiwan is pretty ripe for the picking for entrepreneurship, its hard work he.Dr why people donā€™t do it. Also hence why thereā€™s this bad circle of bosses not treating employees well and employees not working much for their employer. Lose lose all around. As an.employee, I became.self.employees here cause working for a company here blows. As an employer we cannot afford to pay by the hour, we would be out pretty quick. So in the end im still doing lots of.the manual work myself with people who are ok d of sub contracted, paid by the job. Clearly canā€™t work in many fields, but for us its the only way to remain a company and not a charity.

a really tough dilemma in Taiwan I have no clue how to figure out. Finding quality long term employees that donā€™t try to escape the country is exceptionally difficult. Long term contracts, bonuses etc etc help, in the end a close bond and relationship is the only way, which only works for small companies.

You donā€™t understand Asian higher education. These places are publication factories. Itā€™s not comparing like for like with MIT

Who in the world is delusional enough to think Jiaotung is on par with MIT?

Just saying they are a serious research institution.

Hmmmm have you spent any time in Asian higher education? They are gaming the system. They get Indian postgrads to churn out articles in as many publication as possible. The demands for publishing are way higher than Western schools, at detriment to the teaching.

1 Like

Less so Indian and more so any student with a nationality with diplomatic ties and PhD for free scholarships. Many of them.are held ransom in Taiwan by professors, pretty ironic slavery and allā€¦

Though have seen many an Indian student for hire in Korea China and japan quite cheap. So companies here pick them up real cheap. The import and reason/difference is you can pay 25 to 30 k for a really smart AND capable Indian to work for you, pay the living costs and visa runs and not deduct a thing a the cost to productivity ratio compared to Taiwanese students is still a WAY higher. A sad truth, from both sides. But a reality

1 Like

I know the head of Gogoros battery is a guy from MIT

Engineering professors love Indian and South Asian students. Can write in English and will work long hours. They write the papers and the professors sticks his name on first. Like you said, they are held to ransom and never allowed to graduate

1 Like

Seen it with local students too. Itā€™s a sick system. Some people six or worst I heard seven years! I got offered a PhD place and said thanks but no thanks !

1 Like

You donā€™t need to be an economist to know that after a certain period any low wage country will be getting more expensive, or even when low cost it canā€™t compete due to lack of talent or higher costs due to more people working on the same product. (instead of 1 person producing a product you need 2-5 to do the same job)

Yep, gives context regarding Taiwan universities managing to publish so frquently