46 dead, 41 injured after Kaohsiung 'ghost building' fire

Why don’t the fire trucks have police-grade bumper guards to push the scooters out of the way?

1 Like

what a sad economy we live in… that the owner of 40 studio apartments still needs to collect rubbish to make it…
\sarcasm

4 Likes

Doubt many rooms were occupied. The whole building was full of recycling - and you know that stuff is never clean. So riddles with mice and cockroaches too.

1 Like

So sad for these people. Taiwan landlords are the greediest, stingiest and most dishonest people. Dealing with them has been the worst part of my experience here.

3 Likes

In the news it says the guy put things to fire because he had a fight with lanlord about letting him “keep his goat” with him in the house but she refused and he wanted revenge.

Now thats a reason i could have never imagined.

3 Likes

“You keep all this trash everywhere, and I can’t keep my pet goat?!”

Such is the start of a tragic series of events.

Guy

3 Likes

Probably the goat was eating the valuable trash.

4 Likes

so… we have

1: an alleged asonist
2: illegal rooftop addition
3: land lady with 40 rental units
4: land lady decides she needs to “store recycling to make extra money”
5: EPA knows about the trash problem and there are even outstanding fines
6: and a goat…

cant make this stuff up.

13 Likes

In fairness, Number 2 and Number 5 on your list are probably so common that they wouldn’t attract a minute’s attention. Put them all together, though . . . :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

That’s what tow trucks are for. Problem is tow truck couldn’t get in, either.

No no no. It’s a fire, no time to load them on the truck.

Use the bumper and push them out of the illegal parking. Damage be damned.

2 Likes

Worse part is the goat also perished in the fire.

Come to think of it, something is amiss here. Mad enough to burn the place down for the goat, bit not willing to save it or at least get it out before starts the fire? :ponder:

I am still not over the landlady’s smelling smoke …and getting IN the elevator…

1 Like

she knows its obstacle free…

3 Likes

She was only fined. Probably 2-3 months rental income.

2 Likes

Well now we know the price of life in Taichung: NT$1.44 million / 6 = NT$240,000.

That is, if she even pays the fine (she reportedly didn’t do so with the outstanding EPA fines levied against her).

Guy

5 Likes

Update on the Taichung fire from the tenant with the goat that killed 6 people…

Prosecutors charged the tenant, surnamed Cheng (鄭), with homicide and offenses against public safety for deliberately setting the building ablaze.

Prosecutors also charged the landlord, surnamed Chuang (莊), with offenses against public safety and causing death by obstructing fire escape routes in the building with flammable items.

Reminder, the landlord kept tons of trash and it was a known issue for years…

The prosecution said Chuang received 35 public safety-related fines over the past two years due to the condition of the building, and was charged with endangering public safety late last year with fines totaling NT$201,600.

3 Likes

Update about the Kaoshiung fire:

Must serve 25 years before being eligible for parole.

3 Likes

wow, all these fires on purpose!? smh

So this is a government oversight issues they knew but still did nothing to enforce the law. Just levied fines. They should have cleaned it up and sent her the bill. Seized her assets and or lock her up if she doesn’t pay

5 Likes

this is classic in Taiwan, blame only one person and keep the corruption. The tragedy of the train? Oh yes, the truck driver… damn

2 Likes