46 dead, 41 injured after Kaohsiung 'ghost building' fire

Here is another example of fines getting nowhere:

At least in this case the owner does not live in Kaohsiung. Probably abroad. Still, why keep all that garbage?!?! 3 cars for Pete’s sake!

The hundred mice is a nice touch…

I think there are several of these in Taipei.

2 Likes

Update to the original story of 46 dead and 41 injured from the 2021 fire.

1 Like

I don’t think anything changed about buildings, fired hazard and inspection. I remember they made some promises on that time.

2 Likes

From the story linked above:

The Kaohsiung Branch of Taiwan High Court, the second instance court, sentenced Huang to life imprisonment and disenfranchisement for life at about 9 a.m. Wednesday through a remote court hearing.

According to the court, there was sufficient evidence to prove that Huang meant to kill people and therefore the previous ruling of manslaughter was overturned.

No doubt this will be a blow to all those pro-arson and pro-mass murder parties out there who were counting on her support. :neutral_face:

Guy

There has been a lot of activity.

The Legislature passed this law as a response.

Kaohsiung City is rebuilding dangerous housing for more than 9,000 households.

Here’s a database of building inspections in Kaohsiung.

Kaoshiung also expanded scope of inspections and designated certain types of businesses for special attention.

The Ministry of the Interior has ordered the creation of management commitees at dangerous buildings and will fine units individually for failure to comply.

A lot has been done but I can’t find any reporting in English. How effective all this will be is another question.

7 Likes

Thanks, my building in Taipei still put signs one week before the inspection asking everyone to remove the fire hazards from stairs and commons areas, after the inspection everything go back. Also my building have only one way to go out, the stairs are not even separate.

Why did you willingly move into such a place?

Are you somehow tied to it?

Is the obvious risk (you clearly understand it) worth it?

Guy

1 Like