$50,000nt government rebate when buying a new car. Applies to foreigners?

I can try to calculate based on the info you provided.

Assuming that you missed a zero, and it’s in fact 9200NT per month, I think there’s still missing something. Did you give any down payment?

Even if the interest rate was 0%,
600k/60months=10k/month
which is more than what you are paying monthly. So, the interest would have to be negative to make sense… :eek:

sorry payments total are 10920. 920 is the interest

It makes sense now.
You got 3.58% per year.
I know taiwanese can get as low as 2.88%, but as a foreigner I’d say it’s not too bad!

nice thanks.

I got 15% interest annually on my credit card lol. I think it ranges from 7-15%? I can’t remember but they gave me the max! :confused:

1 Like

I was asking @riggers since he/she said they got everything in their name.

They did the same for me. Just make sure and pay it off every month, then it doesn’t matter what the rate is. As far as you’re concerned, it’s 0%.

I have an APRC. I don’t off hand know how much interest was, but I don’t recall thinking I got screwed. The loan was organized by Toyota

1 Like

The guy who approves the loan phoned me and asked me how many years I have left until I get an APRC, how often do I change jobs or renew my contract, is it up to me to decide or the school. He’s just wanting to know how committed you are to staying in Taiwan.
Then again, if you flake on your loan and leave the country he has the guarantor as plan B lol.

That’s awesome you got it without a guarantor! Was this recently?

June last year

I remember maoman made a post many years ago where he told the salesman that if he arranged the loan without a guarantor he would buy. The salesman was incentivised by the commission , made a few calls and got it done.

I’d like a car since you can go anywhere whenever you want but since I have no family it isn’t really practical with parking, license fees, gas, navigating heavy traffic. If I had kids I’d get one. For trips i just use Taiwan’s great and cheap long distance busses and tra.

Maybe I should start a new thread, but how does the insurance work here? What are the approximate costs per year?

I got the best insurance and it was 32,000nt for the year.

They offer different things too like I can hit/get hit by a bicycle or person it will pay out. If you get the insurance that is 20k a year it only covers things with a licence plate (car, truck, scooter, motorbike).

If my car is a total write off I get 75% of the value back (the other company was 85%) BUT they will have their lawyers go to court for me if anyone wants to sue me.
You just have to read through them all and decide which one you want. I would rather have the lawyer option so that I don’t miss work having to go to court all the time when they drag out a case.

My first two years driving around Zhongli and to Taipei about twice a month I had insurance and nothing ever happened but with a new car I am paranoid.

4 Likes

Every month I put away 2670nt in an envelope to save up for next year when I renew the insurance.

1 Like