6 months parental leave can be taken by father?

Hi

My wife (Taiwanese) is telling me that I can take 6 months off at 60% pay as we have a child under the age of 3. I have been working full time at my current job for 3 years, my wife is not working and we have 3 kids (youngest is under 2). To me it seems to be too good to be true as usually these sort of schemes are only for the mother and only if both parents are working (My wife also seems to misunderstand things often as well). Does anyone know if it really is the case I can do this?

I haven’t seen anyone else in the office take that sort of time off. I don’t want to seem stupid going to HR and asking unless I am quite confident that I have the correct information. Our HR is useless and probably wouldn’t know the law anyway. I would have to supply them with the exact information. The company I work for (not teaching) has always followed all the legal laws here (in my experience) so I think they would honour any requirement if it is by law.

Here is the link my wife gave me (it’s in chinese)
https://www.bli.gov.tw/0017299.html?fbclid=IwAR2wRagcPb1AXHzdUzlqUlMzRSty-QigrvSuSyrYNK77IfTzjhUXDHaoduk

Thanks.

As far as I know, it is true, you can take up to 6 months leave.
I’m not sure about the requirement of both parents need to be working and I didn’t find it in the link you’ve shared.
Perhaps @tando can throw a light on this?
One point to notice tho, it’s that the 60% pay is based on the insured salary, not the full salary. This means that if your salary is above the ceiling (about 45k/m, which is the most case for white collar foreigners), you’ll get 60% of that, which is something about 27k.

1 Like

Was getting all exciting about my upcoming holiday until I seen that!

So was I, I knew it must have been too good to be true in some way :frowning:

Regulations for Implementing Unpaid Parental Leave for Raising Children
https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=N0030018

Article 2
When an employee applies for an unpaid parental leave for raising his (or her) children, he (or she) shall file an application in writing in advance to his (or her) employer.
…
(6) Rendering the proof documents of the spouse’s employment status.

2 Likes

So it is unpaid (?)

From your employers perspective it is unpaid because they don’t pay anything and I think can be up to two years. as @RickRoll said above, labor insurance will pay 60% the insured amount for up to 6 months but the insured amount is capped at 45k, so it ends up only being about 27k per month.

6 Likes

I knew we could count on you! :wink:

For most foreigners, that would be a huge hit to their monthly salary.
That 60% of the 45% is not enough to entice anyone in my opinion.

That’s why most of people I saw that took this leave were planning to quit anyway. So, they’ve used this time to look for new job or to have a sabbatical period before going back and quitting.

Hi Mike, I changed the title to avoid confusion.

• Maternity leave is 8 weeks with pay.

• Paternity leave (or accompanying-maternity leave, as we might need to call it now that same sex marriage has arrived) is 5 days with pay.

• Unpaid parental leave (育嬰留職停薪) is separate.

Act of Gender Equality in Employment

Regulations for Implementing Unpaid Parental Leave for Raising Children

As for getting paid while on parental leave, you need employment insurance (jiubao), not labor insurance (laobao), but the BLI handles both.

Employment Insurance Act

1 Like