6 young folks killed in car crash

Ah, so that’s you!

I’ve seen that, also in YMS. Stopped riding by night there because of that reason.

1 Like

Here is where the crash occurred:

1 Like

Neihu into the tunnel - same place that a guy drove his Lamborghini into a work crew a few years back and same place that a guy drove his…don’t remember the brand…father’s car up the wall a few months ago - nearly every weekend. I’ve seen cars blow four to five consecutive lights through an area that has MRT stations on both sides of the street.

2 Likes

I once witnessed the aftermath of something like this.

Some hotshot 18yo with a license not even cleared for night driving, went blazing down a 40mph rd (~70kmh), at about 80mph (~140km)

It was a dog-leg straight-away, with a dip just after the kink. They slid just-like-this, …, except they hit a pine utility pole (which snapped), and spun 180 to come to immediate rest against a dessicated pine tree.

The front passenger, 16yo male, was ejected into grass upon impact with the pole. The rear driver side passenger, 16yo female, was ejected upon impact with the pine tree. The right rear passenger, 15yo female, was incapacitated, possibly killed, upon impact with the utility pole.

Gas tank was ruptured on initial impact. I arrived just before the fire started. A neighbor and I moved the driver away from in front of the car, then noticed the girl. We nearly broke the window frame off the door but the door never budged.

The pine tree went up like a match. Thankfully the police officer who first arrived circled the scene and located both ejected youths. Both survived, despite both being in coma for some time, the girl did unfortunately receive burns to her legs.

The driver was mildly concussed.

Wonder how come no one else is crashing?

Because it’s the driver’s error.

I wish the president will speak up about this accident and I seriously hope the penalties for driving without a license will be much higher (add a “0” to the current 6.000 NT$, which is a joke itself).

I am curious, why there should be a lawsuit. The street isn’t 100% perfectly flat, so I am assuming there is a reason for it’s Speed-Limits. So I don’t see a valid point to sue the government.

The driver was an adult (even in regards to taiwanese law). What’s the point to maybe sue the driver’s parents. Everybody involved is terrible affected by this tragedy.

Now is the point for the government to react harshly. If not now, this reckless driving and drinking will never end here in Taiwan.

2 Likes

You don’t know Taiwan.

1 Like

What I really dislike is the distribution of responsibility in alot of crashes. For example, I mean when someone late at night walks across a road (jaywalking) not at a crosswalk intersection and is hit…why should a driver be responsible? The claim that drivers should be able to avoid all situations like this is laughable.

I almost hit a motorcycle yesterday. Coming up to an intersection I saw motorcycles making right turns into my lane. You know the no looking for oncoming cars just swerve quickly close to the curb and get into my lane. So as I enter the intersection (no traffic light) the first right turns right, the second one turns right, then the third one who is turning right suddenly changes his mind and wants to go straight across the intersection…which means driving across the path of my car. I brake and honk…and can see a smirk on his face (we are very close at that point). I bet if I hit him most of the responsibility would be mine.

I am not a car crash expert at all, but I am kind of surprised that no-one has survived. It seems like a more recent car so it should have lots of airbags inside, inclusive side-ones.
Did even the front passengers did not have their seat-belt on ?

PS
In my country it is the drivers responsibility to ensure that ALL passengers put their seat-belts on. In case and by law the driver can be made fully liable. Insurances still need to pay out to protect all affected victims, but they have the right (and most do) to keep 5.000 Euros from the drivers private money (account).

Similar experience when I was driving in the US. Car flipped multiple times and my car doors and windows were gone.

This is a tragic accident. People in cars are most vulnerable when hit or hitting something with its sides. There is relatively little protection. Not sure this car had side airbags which may have helped but the force of the collision may still have been too much to escape death or serious injury.
I dont know about you, but when i was young i did drive without a license once or twice and i was no doubt going too fast at times and i am sure if i hadn’t been lucky i could have run into a truck, etc.
They were on a long journey and therefore they had probably been driving over the limit (dont we all??) . So it was just unfortunate that when it went over this road imperfection on a straight away the car lost control and resulted in a crash into the sides which are very vulnerable. Young and foolish has killed many young people around the world.

It is an unfortunate accident. To prevent such accidents of course:

1. no carrying anyone who doesn’t have a belt on.
  2. no speeding much over the limit
  3. no driving until you have a license and enough experience
  4. don’t lend your car to other people, especially ones who are young and without a license.

There is blame of course, but I say RIP to those who lost their lives , including the little doggie.

2 Likes

Here in calif its the drivers responsibility to ensure his passengers are belted in. The fine is only 100 bucks though.

I feel sorry for their parents but it’s hard to sympathise when you were stupid enough drive WITHOUT A LICENSE and go extremely fast.

At least they didn’t kill any innocent bystanders. If that had happened it would’ve just made me happy that they had died.

The driver killed 5 “innocent” people and an “innocent” doggie.

I am not fast to overly malign the driver though, because many of us were young and foolish too but we were lucky to have survived. IT could be that the straight away fooled him into thinking his speed was “relatively” safe but not taking into account the dip in the road would have caused him to lose control and slam into a building with the side of the car. Not being belted in is a major cause of injury. But I remember not till the 80s did cars sold in Taiwan EVEN HAVE SEATBELTS. And my 1987 Ford Telstar only had seatbelts in the FRONT as they were not required for back seat passengers even. I don’t think excessive blame should be heaped upon the young driver who also paid the ultimate price.

There by the grace of God…

However, i do find that at least there should NOT have been a case of carrying six passengers in a five passenger car and everyone should have been belted. That is the least amount of responsibility one should take when driving a modern car. At least be belted in.

Mind you you can still be belted in and die though.

One should not go much beyond the speed limit. We do know that most speed limits are often ridiculous.
LIke many roads in taiwan have a limit of 25 kph. Which is so slow that nobody follows that rule.

And even here in the USA, where our speed limit is 65mph on the freeway (25mph in the cities). NOBODY GOES 65 . Everyone does 75 to 80 until they see a police car.

I say dont go much over the limit, be responsible, expect the unexpected.

But when you are young and you have six people because of three couples and you have borrowed a friends car. Its understandable to get tempted to do what hey did. Of course at least they should drive slower.

And honestly they may not have been going all that fast on that straight away which was a fairly big road.
Had they gone off the road into a grass area say , most likely they would have all walked away. Crashing into buildings and trees and utility poles and the such are very bad to say the least.

If i heard correctly there was a licensed driver in the car but he wasn’t driving at the time of the crash. Probably trusted his friend had enough driving knowledge.

Here in CAlif, people can get a driving permit which allows them to :

drive with a licensed driver in the front passenger seat
carry NO rear seat passengers

From what I’ve read on the news, it was more like if the driver hadn’t driven any of the other 5 would’ve gladly filled in for him.

The dog was innocent though.

2 Likes

You say this based on what? Lots of evil dogs here.

Another bad crash video from Tainan, crazy driver. (video and photos not for soft of heart)

Not sure why AppleDaily has to mention the 16 year difference between the couple…especially in the title of the article.

English article.

The McClaren…barely anything left…

3 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t sure I was understanding the Chinese correctly because I thought the same thing.