7-11 drinks: What's good?

I quite like Fin. Is it made from distilled seawater? It has a picture of the sea on and it tastes a little bit salty.

Drinks with a little salt as well as sugar are good for instant rehydration, although of course I guess they’re not so good in the long-term. I was ministering to a friend who had an acute hangover, and I went to the pharmacy (drugstore) to buy some of those rehydration salts. They were about 3 pounds though so the nice pharmacist told me I could make just about the same thing by putting a large pinch of sugar and a small one of salt into a glass of room-temperature water and stirring it well. I gave it to my friend with trepidation but he drank it and instead of vomiting he was up and about, feeling much better within ten minutes.

I haven’t felt brave enough to try salty sarsaprilla yet though. Anyone who likes it here?

Salty sarsaprilla tastes roughly the same as the usual stuff.

Big cans of Bar Beer (a Kirin product) for only NT$37!!!

I too find Super Supau too sweet. Haven’t tried Fin. (I’m a bit leery of potable seawater.) My choice of post-workout drink is Pocari Sweat, a good substitute in the absence of Gatorade.

I sometimes down a can of that stuff with my dinner – and imagine the looks of horrified disapproval that would appear on Sandman’s and Tigerman’s faces if they could see it.

I know it’s piss, but it washes the food down well enough.

I admit… I drink Taiwan beer most of the time. Or one of the German brewed look-alikes at times.

One drink I like is the sweet Ai Zhi Wei tomato juice. The yellow one is good.

I love that new yellow tomato juice in plastic bottles although it’s overpriced.

I bought some of the red tomato juice with the intention of making bloody marys, but stupidly added vodka before tasting the juice. Gaaah! Sugar! nothing like proper tomato juice, this stuff was like liquid tomato candy or something. Absofuckinglutely disgusting waste of perfectly good Absolut and habanero hot sauce.

The guava juice in the small green cartons, and the large cans found mostly in Taiwanese restaurants. Not as good as the stuff back home, but delicious nonetheless.

The Cleanfield Milk tea box Switzerland flavor wasn’t too bad. It had a different milk tea taste over the regular ones but it felt like a high quality milk tea if there ever was one.

Maybe it was called Clearfield :?:

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]I sometimes down a can of that stuff with my dinner – and imagine the looks of horrified disapproval that would appear on Sandman’s and Tigerman’s faces if they could see it.

I know it’s piss, but it washes the food down well enough.[/quote]

Actually, I’ve been meaning to buy a can of that stuff… not to drink, of course :shock: … but because it has what must be the most idiotic slogan printed on it. Ever read it?

Omni, please don’t drink that stuff… Be good to yourself, for heaven’s sake… I think Bar Beer is like the Asahi stuff they sell next to the paints back in the States at the Home Depot hardware stores.

In terms of beer, quantity over quality anytime!

[quote]I think Bar Beer is like the Asahi stuff they sell next to the paints back in the States at the Home Depot hardware stores.
[/quote]

No Tigerman, that would be the paintbrush cleaner, but you could be forgiven for confusing the two. :wink:
That Bar beer really is awful, though, and yes I have tried it – more than once. Even at half the price it would still be a rip-off.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :?

Well, as a self-confessed dead man’s booger-sucker, I think we all know how much we can trust your judgement in these matters :wink: !

[quote=“tigerman”][

Actually, I’ve been meaning to buy a can of that stuff… not to drink, of course :shock: … but because it has what must be the most idiotic slogan printed on it. Ever read it?
[/quote]

I hadn’t ever looked at it before, but I see that it runs:
“Work for fun, study for fun, live for fun,
Challenge for fun, think for fun, strive for fun…
Whichever life you choose, don’t forget Bar.
Every time you have a Bar,
The world will be full of fun.”

Huh? Are the beer marketers targeting the under twelves now? Pretty moronic, but at least there aren’t any spelling mistakes, and the grammar just about passes muster – which is quite remarkable for anything written on a Japanese product.

Just noticed a whole new line of “Amino Acid” drinks. Tried a couple and thought the taste was “okay”.

Can anyone explain the benefits of drinking such things?

And given the high sugar content of Supau, would it actually help?

[quote=“The Big Babou”]Just noticed a whole new line of “Amino Acid” drinks. Tried a couple and thought the taste was “okay”.

Can anyone explain the benefits of drinking such things?
[/quote]

Sure. The manufacturer will make a lot of money. Other than that, I don’t know.

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Some bodybuilders take AA supplements in an effort to increase muscle mass, but I don’t know of any studies that support this idea (haven’t really looked). There are specific uses for certain amino acids. For example, L-lysine is thought to suppress herpes outbreaks and L-tryptophane is supposed to promote sleep (that’s why turkey makes you sleepy). I’m not sure how well the uses have been studied.

If you want more amino acids, eat a steak. Or chicken. Or fish. Or soybeans. Drink water.

Well, as a self-confessed dead man’s booger-sucker, I think we all know how much we can trust your judgement in these matters :wink: ![/quote]

Better watch those danglers, sandman–unless you meant to confess? :laughing:

Ovaltine —malt drink yum
Vitali (yellow can) ---- great for a hangover or whenever
Viatali Champagne Drink ------yum yum yum
Yes water -----tastes ok I guess
Vegetable mix drinks that say 100 on them (does that mean they are 100% veggie+fruits?)

nough said