8 Divers reported missing off Seven Stars (Kending)

TV News is reporting 8 divers missing off Seven Stars.

:frowning:

[quote=“finsarefun”]Hi divers, just wondering if any of you will be going to the DEM diving show [demaasiapacific.com/] which is May 9th, 10th and 11th. I will be going up from Kaohsiung on the 10th, overnighting and heading back down on the 11th in the evening. Would be great to see any of you there, if you are going please PM me, leave your cell #, and we can hook up in the exhibition hall. It should be a great show. Lots of divers from the south will be there.

I will also be putting together my annual dive out to the fabled Seven Stars [May] soon so if any of you would like to come on board for that one drop me a PM too and I will keep you informed.[/quote]

I’m in for both…

God, I hope the 8 of them are together…And carrying safety balloons. :pray:

All eight still lost at sea…Including the instructor.

I think it’s safe to say that 7 stars is a serious Advanced Diver dive.

And in that light, any instructor/guide taking divers out there best to be picky about their charges.

Stick together guys!

I think about my near miss out there often.

My heart goes out to these guys, but it is an area that has to be researched carefully, and conditions ideal for any kind of safe dive out there. After checking the local tide charts there was only one high and one low tide today, conditions that can create some strange currents during this phase of the moon.

Lets hope they got blown into the Kurushio current and are headed upstream. If this happens, they’ll have a much better chance of rescue.

Whats a near miss? It almost did not hit? JK

So is there any news on them? I seem to only get my breaking news on Forumosa. :frowning:

End of day two and the 8 remain missing.

:frowning:

News reports say 8 divers dissapeared down in Kenting a few days ago, apparently swept away by strong currents.
Any divers on this board know what happened?
Could the accident have been avoided if the dive master was more familiar with the conditions there, or is it just one of the risks of diving?

They’re talking about it in the dive forum over here.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 6&start=30

Hoping for a miracle!

HG

Thanks, did a search earlier but the board has been slow…so didn’t get any result for “dive”.

Doesn’t seem to be any discussion about this.

Any news?

My thoughts and prayers go out to those divers.

Shellback diver, myself and a couple of the other expat divers are having a discussion regarding over at Scubaboard

One diver made it to shore in Taitung and reported that the other divers were close behind him but too tired to swim. Fingers crossed.

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”]One diver made it to shore in Taidong and reported that the other divers were close behind him but too tired to swim. Fingers crossed.

marboulette[/quote]

Confirmed? Yes, it was Henry, the dive shop owner’s nephew!

Kurushio current…You fat assed, ocean river of life.

Yippee!

Hope they can find the others!

The paper this morning said rescue attempts were also being focused around Taitung so hopefully they spot them this morning.

I’m curious how such a current works. If a diver gets sucked into this current how far will they likely be carried before they are able to surface?
How fast does this current move?

It seems that if they weren’t spotted soon after disappearing they were carried under water by the current for quite some distance :astonished:

They’re all safe.

Amazing! :bravo:
Where di you hear this?

More news please.

And yes I know my avatar is obscene, I’m working on it.

Respect to those.

I’m getting mixed signals: It was just reported on the radio that two are still missing (下落不明), though online news sites have reported all eight found safe and sound.

Dunno… my wife was watching the tele and the report indicated all were safe. That was about an hour ago.