80's theme party: Absolute necessities?

No…just booze.

1 Like

I know. What was I thinking?

Obviously you weren’t! :man_facepalming:

The original Nintendo comes to mind. Set that system up with that robot that came with some versions.

1 Like

I have a whole package of them in my house from someone. I hate twizzlers, it doesn’t taste like anything!

80s were all about Schwartzenneger and James Cameron. Terminator and/or Conan should be in your possibilities.

Music: Tears For Fears (anything from Songs from the Big Chair should do), Devo, Talking Heads, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. James Brown, Dire Straits, Merle Haggard, Cyndi Laupner, UB40, U2, would be authentic. Rock and roll was being replaced by hip hop almost unknowingly, so almost anything close should sound ‘authentic’.

Food: Pizza Hut was at its peak, so was Wendy’s. Coke Classic vs Coke vs Pepsi. Bud Light made its appearance.

Big hair and shoulder pads have already been mentioned. Pastels vs bright colors, and how those colors evolved during the decade, have not been discussed yet. Big backlash in the 90’s, not in scope.

Scents: CK One was huge at the end of the decade. It’s still available in Taiwan, too.

Sounds fun, good luck!

1 Like

And Stallone! Rambo II even got mentioned by Reagan at one point. Top Gun and War Games also have that Cold War vibe. Back to the Future is a great artifact of the era (but just the first one–the rest are garbage).

Ferris Buehler’s Day Off, Breakfast Club, and Princess Bride are still fondly remembered. There was a lot of stupid funny stuff at the cinema, from Airplane (1980) to Bill and Ted (1989), and including both Ghostbusters and several National Lampoon Vacation movies.

The Indiana Jones movies and two of the Star Wars were some of the biggest hits of the era, though set long before :slight_smile: . E.T. is interesting, in that back then aliens were assumed to be benevolent–nobody thought E.T.'s glowing finger was an anal probe! (Although if you watch carefully, he seems to be mentally controlling / absorbing life-force from Eliot.) If you want science fiction from then, but set in our era (so you can laugh at it), try 2010: Odyssey 2 (the sequel to 2001). It also has a Cold War vibe.

In terms of music…are people like Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Sting too obvious? Or do you want to focus on the ones that were only popular in the 1980s, like Cindi Lauper? Bruce Springsteen is pretty iconic of the Reagan era. Boy George still gets joked about in Adam Sandler movies. Kenny Rogers had some regional appeal.

2 Likes

Mind how you play all that music.

Okay now post-80’s kids, spot the anachronism! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Spot the anachronism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWNQTqMkezc

I actually have the 80’s boombox back in the USA. Having it shipped to me here. :slight_smile:

Hope your music is still on cassettes then.

Yup. Some of my family saved all of there cassette collections.

Maybe from secret admirer @Yang_Gui_Zi ?

The term “ghetto blaster” is extremely non-PC!

But I’m a time traveler from the 80’s, so I’m PC enough by the era’s standards. :innocent:

Um, it wasn’t even PC in the 80s…or was Canada just “less evolved” back then?

Oh I’m sure there were people complaining, but I never noticed. Don’t forget, the interwebs weren’t a thing yet.

I had one, first with tape, then added a floppy drive with humongous floppies, and thermal printer.

That had such better games than our our Apple IIe+ (*clone)!!

https://classicreload.com/commodore-64-games

1 Like