921 remembered

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I was asleep, in bed, on the 3rd floor in Taipei. My bed started shaking VIOLENTLY, stuff started to fall off of my bookshelves (in the pitch dark) and I thought the ceiling was going to start cracking and collapsing. It was pretty damned scary.

Before that, I thought earthquakes were fun.

I was living on the same street as the hotel that collapsed in Taipei. As we ran to a nearby park to get away from tall buildings, other people were pointing in the direction of the hotel and telling us how they’d seen fire and smoke soon after the earthquake hit. I visited the site the next day and watched with thousands of others as the fire brigade used cranes and buckets to pull out bodies - some alive; some not.

Two days later, a friend and I rented a van and helped ship emergency supplies from Taipei City Hall into the hardest-hit areas. We were given signs to put in our front and back windows so we could use the hard shoulder without being stopped by police - bloody glad about that, because the motorway was chocka all the way.

We stopped at a small town on the way, and it was incredible sight; buildings all around were tilting. Some had only the bottom two or three floors collapsed, often crushing cars parked on front. Roads were buckled and bridges were destroyed, and we found ourselves having to go off-road in areas where emergency volunteers had been killed just the day before. Every time we stopped, we would be approached by people asking for food and water, or tents and blankets.

We ended up at a school, where a makeshift camp had been set up for those whose homes had been destroyed. We unloaded most of the goods and entertained the kids for a while, who were all in remarkably good spirits considering their plight. We were asked if we’d like to stay and help out some more, so we drove to a nearby stadium and helped a group of soldiers and civilians unload trucks as they arrived. Huge mountains of blankets, tents, water, and noodles soon formed.

We worked into the night, and in the early hours were taken to a carpeted office to get some sleep before sun up, when we would be taking supplies up into the epicentre. We slept surprisingly well before being woken by the sunlight streaming into the room. We were given coffee and bread, which we devoured happily while watching helicopters land, load up, and take off in rapid succession. I felt like I was in MAS*H.

We were given a guide/translator and told to follow another vehicle. The journey was treacherous, and seemed to take forever, as the roads were half collapsed and extremely narrow, or half-blocked by boulders, particularly on the climb up into the mountains. We had to cut our mission short, as we were informed upon arrival at a police station that the road ahead was completely unnavigable, and we were forced to unload our goods and store them there until those trapped at a higher elevation could be reached.

Seeing all that devastation was something I will never forget. I grew up thinking that buildings were our castles, and protected us from harm. BUt the buildings we saw had turned into death traps, and we could only imagine the lives lost as we passed building after building that had collapsed or toppled over. But the resilience of the people was incredible, and I was in awe of how they were able to get on with life so soon after the disaster.

I still have the photos from that trip, and really must get them uploaded before I lose them.

Here’s hoping we don’t see another like that in our lifetime. That was scary! :astonished:[/quote]

Dude,

Just when I thought your benevolance was restricted to creatures with four legs… :notworthy:

I was at 45’s that night until about 1am with a Brit friend. I can remember a few hours before the quake, I looked up at the glasses hanging over the bar and saw them swaying. I told my bud we just had a small quake. About a half hour later, after he took a piss, he said, that big bucket of water in the bathroom was shaking.

An hour later, I was back in my apartment in Panchaio, then wham! The big one. My new Tv fell off it’s shelf, put a big divot in my wood floor and was out of commission. I ended up having to drift around freinds houses/bars/coffee shops to see the damage. I went to GiGi a few months later, it was pretty amazing to see all the damage in Nantou. To this day, I still keep my wallet, passport, keys, flipflops, etc. near my bed, just in case.

I saved the paper from that day. (actually 922 since 921 happened at 1:47am)

Paper from 04.01.02 a 6.8 quake that knocked the cranes off of T101.

BTW: I was in Huntington Beach, CA when the LA/northridge quake hit. 921 was my second biggy.

I was in Beijing, just starting on a scholarship I got there. When I was applying, I was considering both the mainland and the Taiwanese government’s scholarships. About two weeks after getting off the plane and hearing the reports out of Taiwan on my junky shortwave radio, I sure was glad that I didn’t choose Taiwan. I remember reading the English-language propaganda rags after the quake, which talked about how the PRC offered hundreds of millions of dollars in reconstruction aid (of course without mentioning what sort of strings would be attached to that), and thinking, “Gee whiz, those commies sure are nice.” Ah, the innocence of youth.

Kaohsiung, in bed on the 4th floor of a very old house. the place was rocking 45 degrees. I ran out side and sat on a neighbor’s car, rode it up and down the street, and watched the houses sway back and forth. It cracked the building I lived in, but no visable serious other damage. Scared to death. The constand after shocks had me tied up and I couldn’t sleep in my bed for months. I’d go to school very early in the morning and sleep in my classroom before classes started! I lost 30 lbs from the end of that sept. to december. And I STILL have earthquake nightmares.

I was in Milan on business. Since there was nothing on TV there in English except for CNN, I was working and half listening to the news when they started mentioning an earthquake in Taiwan. I was concerned about it, but guessed the quake was on the east coast as usual and that no one was hurt, as usual. I decided to call home anyway just in case, but the phone just rang and rang and my wife should have been home at that time of night. I paged her instead (remember pagers?) and went back to work.
Next up, some hack reporter was on saying that a building had collapsed in Taipei, so on one hand I was a bit more alarmed about the extent of the destruction, but less worried about my wife. Some time later the same hack reporter came back on to say that the epicenter was in some place called ‘Nan Too’ :laughing: and that was some uninhabited place that wasn’t worth worrying about. Of course I thought to myself that if buildings were falling in Taipei and the epicenter was in Nantou, then Taichung had probably been reduced to rubble. :astonished:
I tried calling the home phone again but couldn’t get through at all. Mr. Panic started to tiptoe around me. I paged my wife again and sat in front of the TV looking at the still photo of the collapsed hotel and waiting for info. The wife meanwhile had run down from the fifth floor and was cowering in the nearby park with all the other neighbors, terrified that the apartment buildings around them were going to fall and crush them. She had gotten my page so once in a while she’d work up the courage to go into the building to get some clothes and try to call me, but every time there would be another aftershock and she’d come running back out again. Finally she was able to call me and tell me what was going on, but that was about the time the backup battery system for the telephone exchange died and no more calls were possible.
I got on a plane the next morning and arrived on the 23rd to the inevitable mess at the airport, the inevitable chaos on the freeway and a mess in Taichung. Of course there was no water or electricity, but at least our apartment was undamaged. That was the evening of the biggest aftershock so I got a little taste of the real thing.
In the aftermath I went out to Puli to check on some friends there only to find them cowering in a park full of tents and living on handouts, their homes destroyed. Another friend in Taichung had been killed instantly along with his nieces, aged 3 and 4. :frowning:
My wife’s friend had just signed papers on an apartment in the same building which had collapsed and she couldn’t decide whether to cry for signing up for a mortgage on a worthless pile of rubble or be happy that she hadn’t moved into it yet. She’s still paying both that mortgage and the rent on another apartment.
The reports of all the heroism on the part of the public, and the donations, and the relief work carried out by ordinary people were uplifting, as was the temporary suspension of the “Me first!” rule in general. Then the reports started to come in about salad-oil can houses, price gouging for food, batteries and bottled water. Beijing’s petulance in demanding that all international aid go through them… :fume: … and
assholes like Lien Chan and James Soong posing for the TV cameras in rescue gear pretending to give a shit. :fume: :grr:

I remember sitting in my office some years ago discussing this topic, and everyone giving their terrifying stories of broken mirrors and books falling off shelves. We finally asked the last guy, who had been listening with great interest to our tales of fear and woe, only to have him casually recount how he was in the epicentre, his building toppled over, and he spent the next 24 hours cowering under a desk and all the other furniture that was now piled up on his wall-cum-floor! :astonished:

Whizzing about at 60mph just south of Berwick-upon-Tweed, UK, at 1’0’clock in the morning when the news came on the radio. I’d just left Taichung after 3 months and I was due back in a couple of weeks for another 1 - I missed everything as usual.
I pulled into a petrol station and watched the news unfold on the TV while drinking a coffee. A strange feeling.

I had arrived the evening of September 20th on a trip to decide if I wanted to move to Taipei to be with my then girlfriend, now wife. My Dad, sister and my sister’s friend had also come along to do the tourist thing. We had spent the evening at a Sichuan restaurant and then went out to the Tonghua night market before going to bed. My sister’s suitcase had gotten busted on the way over so she had bought a cheap replacement at the night market. I was at my girlfriend’s house on the second floor while my family and friends were in the Golden China hotel on Songjiang street.

Shortly after drifting to sleep I woke up suddenly as the air conditioner and power went out. I’m a very light sleeper and even something small like this was enough to wake me up. At that point things were still quiet in Taipei so I just thought it was a power outage and rolled over to go back to sleep when suddenly the whole house started shaking. I tried to get out of bed but it was difficult to stand up. My girlfriend’s sister in the next room was started to scream. And my girlfriend was still lying there in bed fast asleep. I tried to wake he up and pull her onto the floor where it might be safer but she had barely awoken by the time it was over. I realized later that the power went out in Taipei before the shaking started because ground waves move much slower than electricity.

We had a few things fall down, but were fortunate that nothing got broken. We fumbled around in the dark trying to find flashlights but found the batteries were all dead. We eventually found some candles and lit them up. I put on some clothes and we walked over to the hotel. It was weird to walk through the middle of the city with all the lights out and everything so quiet. At the hotel I found my dad, sister and her friend standing out in front of the hotel. They had been up on the 8th or 9th floor and had gotten quite a shake with everything falling over and even some water pipes had burst.

The hotel had powered up a generator and had brought out some snacks for the guests. They had everyone stay downstairs while the building maintenance guys went around inspecting the damage. My sister was hysterical and stayed outside the hotel on the front sidewalk all night. She wanted to go back right away. The local airline office was closed but we were eventually able to get through to the US office over a cell phone and get them a confirmed booking on the morning’s flight. I decided to continue my stay. We were worried that the airport buses wouldn’t be running, but they were running as normal. I took them out to the airport and got them checked in before coming back to Taipei.

I think I spent a week here at that time and every day there were one or two aftershocks strong enough to be felt in Taipei. Water and power were only intermittently available, so we would have to plan activities like bathing depending on when services were available. Even after all that I decided to make the move, and later arrived in late November.

20th anniversary coming soon. There will be remembrance activities and the Government is organizing the National Disaster Prevention Day.

Oh, don’t forget to have a look>

When I first arrived I tried a “Where were you…” and “What were you doing…” 9/21 lesson. The answers would have been predictable had I known the time the event occurred.

1 Like

I was asleep in an apartment building in Taichung. My roommate runs in and goes “WAKE THE FUCK UP OH MY GOD IT’S AN EARTHQUAKE OH MY GOD OH MY GOD.”

I got up. We (unwisely) took the elevator downstairs. I got to watch my apartment building wobble back and forth like it was made of jello. You could hear glass breaking inside, and all my neighbors going “Whoo.”

My grandpa was at home slowly dying of cancer at the time. My mom slept on a cot next to his bed and my grandma and I slept together in another room.

I didn’t actually wake up until the very end, when my mom came to our bedroom. But my mom said right before it began, she woke up suddenly because it was so unearthly silent. Then the shaking started. She let it go on for a bit until she realized it was lasting much longer than she expected, and so she got up to fetch us and to move my grandpa under the dining table. But by the time she got to waking us up so we could get moving, it had already stopped.

So yeah…I slept through it.

1 Like

I was meditating. Didn’t even drop a mantra stroke.

th’ bear abides

For your perusal, pictures, testimonials, now and then.

wrong date / event

You might be in the wrong thread.

lol yea

A series of now and then photos.

3 Likes

The memory of 921 will forever be etched in my memory.
GF and i were about to get it on. neither of us had clothes on when the power suddenly went out. Thought not too much about it for a millisecond but realized that there were no lights at all anywhere , which was unusual to have a total power failure. Then suddenly the ground started to sway possibly a few FEET in each direction.
The quake seemed to subside momentarily but then came back full steam.

I was searching frantically for my clothes and GF for hers. We managed to dash out into the street from the 4th floor just as the quak ended, think it was nearly 2 minutes long !

Didnt have a car to sleep in, or would have. STrangely no neighbors came outside. Didn’t know the severity of the quake but knew it had to be pretty big.

We lived in a hillside town near Wanli. MInutes later a police car came driving by and I hailed it and asked the policeman what happened. He said MAJOR QUAKE. And there were fatalities but news was sketchy.

We ended up staying till sun up. leaning against each other on the street to pry each other up.

Daylight came and we went back into the house. Phoned my mom and other relatives earlier in the night when I snuck back upstairs briefly.

The next day while in Keelung a rather large aftershock hit. Aftershocks were bout 6.6 and 6.8. Major earthquakes in their own right.

I was already scheduled to leave taiwan and i remember the tens of thousands of aftershocks . The power outages. It was horrible.

The memory of those days shall forever be etched in my mind not good memories. not good at all.

Oh, man. Now I have the image of tommy525 about to get it on etched in my memory!

2 Likes