A bridge from China to Jinmen!

President Ma has indicated that plans have been made to construct the 金嶝大橋 (Jin Deng da qiao), a bridge from mainland China’s Xiaman to Taiwan’s Jinmen. It’s going to be 8.3km and cost around 112 億Nt, which is about 224,000,000 English pounds or about 448,000,000 US dollars.

What are your opinions? Is anyone terrified?

When I first came here over 4 years ago I joked with other teachers about the possibility of China building a “peace bridge” :ponder: across to Taiwan, of course the political situation has changed a lot, but doesn’t anyone think it’s still a bit early for bridges?

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=856888&lang=eng_news&cate_img=logo_taiwan&cate_rss=TAIWAN_eng

He’s just given the green light to study the feasibility of building a bridge. No construction to start anytime soon. Personally, I think it would be a huge waste of money.

There goes Taiwan… :frowning: This is starting to remind me of Tibet. Make a train to Tibet. Although, a bridge… Yeah, it is a waste of money.

Construction companies must be licking their chops and already wrestling each other to gather the political capital to take on this tasty morsel. :unamused:

Well as far as infrastructure spending/economic stimulus packages go you can be at least thankful the bridge is going somewhere. The Japanese, on the other hand, built roads and bridges to nowhere.

HG

At least they build something. Back home, they get donations from developed countries for a supposed bridge… and make them dissappear.

Then those developed countries give them/sell them the parts… They linger in warehouses for years, dissappearing a piece at a time…

Or they buy/receive donations of Bailey temporary bridges, and set them up in dangerous places, so they will be carried away by the current/next high tide, along with a few poor people -their tactic for fighting poverty. If they are not destroyed, then they stay there for years… until they fail. Then they get replaced by another Bailey bridge…

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Well as far as infrastructure spending/economic stimulus packages go you can be at least thankful the bridge is going somewhere. The Japanese, on the other hand, built roads and bridges to nowhere.

HG[/quote
theres a bridge between danshui and yangmingshan rear entrance exactly the same as that…crosses a stream then stops in a farmers paddy…must get a photo next time i’m up there…taipei county is littered with roads going nowhere…

The Americans too: The bridge failed, but the ‘Road to Nowhere’ was built

Oh yes, of course! :laughing:

HG

Sorry to nitpick, but is the pound worth two dollars again? Is it 40 NT to the US$? Someone needs to recalculate exchange rates.

And if I were suicidal (I’m not!), I’d love to barrel down that bridge (photo) at about 250kph.

Will there be a border crossing in the very middle of the bridge, or will this be considered another ‘domestic issue’?

BINGO!

You’ll still need the TBZ or Chinese Visa to go to the other side, so a border will be there. Still… Hong Kong and Macau have borders, don’t they?

After they build the bridge, will foreigners finally be allowed to cross?

[quote=“Dr Jellyfish”]President Ma has indicated that plans have been made to construct the 金嶝大橋 (Jin Deng da qiao), a bridge from mainland China’s Xiaman to Taiwan’s Jinmen. It’s going to be 8.3km and cost around 112 億Nt, which is about 224,000,000 English pounds or about 448,000,000 US dollars.

When I first came here over 4 years ago I joked with other teachers about the possibility of China building a “peace bridge” :ponder: across to Taiwan, of course the political situation has changed a lot, but doesn’t anyone think it’s still a bit early for bridges?[/quote]

WTF? (Why, not What.)

The bridge - in the unlikey event that it is actually built - would be an attractive target for the Panda Liberation Front (and even more so for the radical breakaway group known as the EEJIT Brigade).

Foreigners can cross to China, including by means of the boats from Kinmen. There was a thread about this recently and someone stated it’s possible.

Fuck off. We’re the Liberation Front of Panda. :smiley:

This is a crazy plan. The only way they could make that expensive bridge worthwhile would be to legalize gambling in Kinmen, which would in turn be very attractive for money laundering.

[quote=“Sleepyhead”][quote=“Dr Jellyfish”]President Ma has indicated that plans have been made to construct the 金嶝大橋 (Jin Deng da qiao), a bridge from mainland China’s Xiaman to Taiwan’s Jinmen. It’s going to be 8.3km and cost around 112 億Nt, which is about 224,000,000 English pounds or about 448,000,000 US dollars.

When I first came here over 4 years ago I joked with other teachers about the possibility of China building a “peace bridge” :ponder: across to Taiwan, of course the political situation has changed a lot, but doesn’t anyone think it’s still a bit early for bridges?[/quote]

WTF? (Why, not What.)[/quote]

No… I’m pretty sure the question was right, and should remain: “What are your opinions?”
Not: “Why are your opinions?” That would just be moocho estoooopido.

And… yes, the pound probably isn’t worth 2 dollars anymore… I just read the newspaper article which quoted NT dollars, divided it by 50 for English pounds (was about 50NT to the quid last time I checked) ~ then I ‘hastily’ multiplied the amount by 2 for US dollars… coz the last time I checked the value of zee US dollar was a long time ago. If I have offended any denizens of the US, you have my humble appologies.