A budding musician want to enter Chinese music/film market

Greetings everybody, ni hao? :slight_smile:
I’m a new member here.
Nice to know you all ^^

A bit of background & introduction information: I am a 28-year old musician/composer/songwriter here in Indonesia (I am male), and have past experiences and projects in music here, I am of Chinese ethnicity (here in Indonesia, it’s called “hua ren”)
but I’ve decided to really pursue the bigger market, which is Chinese market (although preferably Asian market as well, ie: Chinese/Japanese/Korea),
as a lot of people have told me my music will fit well in the “Asian market”.
You can hear some of my music compositions sample here: nikiwonoto.com
and my Myspace: youtube.com/nikiwonoto

So that is for a bit of info about myself.
Now, as I’ve recently browsed and read a good lot of informative and detailed posts here in this website/forum,
I do want to ask you few urgent-pressing things, and this is also related with ultimately my decision & future:

1. Speaking of music and movie/film scene in general, which one do you think nowadays have more good prospect and also for the future: Mainland China (ie: Beijing? Shanghai?), or Taiwan?
    As I am also a budding musician/songwriter/composer, trying to expand my career into Chinese market (while also take language school for about 1/2 year)

2. If given only a 1/2 year chance by my parents (especially father), where would you suggest me to go as for the good prospects/chances for music and movie/film, between those two?
    This means I have to really make the BEST, right-est and most efficient decision of which country I should best pursue my Music career to expand.

Please be as objective and honest/straight-forward as possible in your opinion or advices.

I really hope I can hear back from you guys, as this is really important for my ultimate decision very soon.
Thank you very much!

1 Like

6 months to crack either market? Nuts.

And if your music is any good, it’ll be pirated a lot faster and further in China, though you might also make a few dollars more in legit sales over there. Pirated music still makes you popular, though. And that’s what you want, isn’t it? The adulation? the adoring crowds? the hot la-mei fan club?

Your dad gave you 6 months? And you agree that’s all the time you want to spend on it?

I think Hong Kong would be a good choice. Still, why try if you won’t actually commit to it?

Some good tunes there. However, 6 months is a ludicrous time frame. It would take that much at least to build up a nest of contacts, and that’s even before such could hear what you can do.

Be wary. This island is pretty saturated with Foreign Born Chinese who came thinking Taiwan would be the easy place to become a music star and learning the hard way that it actually takes a lot of work to make it. I’ve got three of them living in my building. It’s possible, but know that you are going to have to work your butt off for it, and 6 months is way too short of a time frame.