A complete set of the current TWD currency (inc $200 and $2000 bills)

Hi,

I want to get one of each of the current TWD notes and coins for my family back in England.

I need them to be brand new and crisp and I also need to try and find a $200 and $2000 bill.

Does anyone know where I can go to get these? Perhaps a trip to the Bank of Taiwan?

Are the $200 and $2000 freely issued? Ordering is not a problem as I can wait.

Many Thanks

Taiwan Coins and banknotes
$2000 Bank-note

Bank of Taiwan.

Its quite common for locals to order pristine red 100NT bills at CNY for example. The bank is quite used to such a request. New notes may also be required if taking them abroad for exchange at foreign banks.

I don’t think 200nt bills are printed anymore.

In close to 2 years here I’ve seen two 200NT notes and kept both of them. But I’ve never seen a 2000NT note. Maybe they are only for rich people.

haven’t seen those 200nt and 2000nt bills for awhile now…

I’ve seen a shitload of $2000 notes, in the cash drawer of the bank I went in to get one. It was a normal bank in Taoyuan City though, nothing special about it. The girl said “I often receive, but never give” which I thought was pretty amusing!

I’ve never seen a $200 though, and only three or four $20 coins.

Don’t post them home either. I did what you’re doing in India a few years ago, stashed them in a book and sent them home. None of them made the trip. $1685 rupees and a lot of work down the pan at the hands of some over zealous and underpaid customs worker, somewhere.

There’s a 50 NT note too. It’s really quite elaborate.

I’ve got some $2000 notes if you’re still looking…

I’ve gone to the Bank of Taiwan in Taoyuan and asked for a $200 note, a $2,000 note, and a $20 coin and have received them all without a problem. I hide them in my wallet for good luck and as conversation makers. They’re also there if I need emergency money.

I’ve seen a $2000 NT note in circulation one time in nearly 3 years here. I have seen them bundled up behind bank counters quite a few times though. I don’t think there’s anything too special about them. Sort of like $2 bills in the US. You don’t find them in circulation often but you can acquire them at any bank. Same for the $200 bills here. I’ve seen them in circulation only a handful of times but every time I win $200 NT on the receipt lottery I always request them from the post office bank and almost always get them. I’ve seen a $20 NT coin only once. It was sitting by itself in a coin holder behind the bank counter. I pulled out two ten NT coins and demanded the coin immediately. Still hanging on to it in my coin collection.

After 5 years I have received my first 2000NT note. Not sure if I will keep it but it will be blogged.

There are not many 2,000NT$ bills around in public as most are used as black money, saved or used in crime related stuff, it’s easier to carry around.

There just isn’t much reason to use them. Typically when I withdraw money I end up breaking 1000NT notes because things are cheap here. For bigger purchases it’s not that much more efficient to use twice as many 1000NT notes. The one time that I would like a larger note is when I need to 30K or 70K in cash but I would want a 5000NT note for that. And those days are rare.

There just isn’t much reason to use them. Typically when I withdraw money I end up breaking 1000NT notes because things are cheap here. For bigger purchases it’s not that much more efficient to use twice as many 1000NT notes. The one time that I would like a larger note is when I need to 30K or 70K in cash but I would want a 5000NT note for that. And those days are rare.[/quote]

At home we had 10,000 BEF years ago … now there are 500 Euro bills

There are more and more ATMs recently that have offered me the option of withdrawing in $200 bills. I took out $5000 in $200 bills last week.

One ATM near Gongguan MRT station always offers me $200 bills. I like the colour, so why not take them.

Taiwan Handicraft Promotion Center
Address: No. 1, Xuzhou Rd, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, 100
Phone:02 2393 3655
Hours: Open today · 9AM–7PM

A stone throw away from NTU Hospital MRT Station.

All sets of recently issued NT Dollar bills and coins.
Sold in wrapped box in almost face value.

Due to be phased out on the next update of the Euro notes in 2018. Apparently only really used by criminals. When I changed RMB to Euro in China the bank insisted on large denomination notes so I had 500’s & 200’s, went hungry for a while on arrival in Germany before I found somewhere to break a note…

Do aware that most vendors (even 7-11) would scrutiny you like a pariah if you try to buy stuff using 200 or 2000 bills. Some insisting of you using other denomination.
Bank will accept the bill though.

I really wish they would put more 2000 NT bills (or ideally an even higher denomination) into circulation. It is incredibly inconvenient to have to carry a wad of bills around, considering how many businesses don’t take credit/debit cards here. What other developed / first world nation has $31 USD as the highest value for a bill?

Taiwan is not a first world nation. It’s a developing nation.

Also consider a lot of the locals only make 22,000 to 60,000 NTD a month. So they are probably not wanting to spend that much.