A Day in Delhi

I’m flying to Delhi (for my fellow American posters, that’s in India :slight_smile: ) in January. I can just fly in and fly out once my business is finished, or I can stay an extra day and have a look around. I’ll be in the IT area, a place called Gurgaon.

Is it worth it? Travel websites I read make Delhi seem like a land of pickpockets, hassles, official incompetence, and intestinal diseases.

On the other hand, I don’t often believe what I read on travel websites. Has anyone been there recently? Is it worth having a look around? What should I see if I have a day and a healthy budget?

Thanks,

Tomas

[quote=“Tomas”]I’m flying to Delhi (for my fellow American posters, that’s in India :slight_smile: ) in January. I can just fly in and fly out once my business is finished, or I can stay an extra day and have a look around. I’ll be in the IT area, a place called Gurgaon.

Is it worth it? Travel websites I read make Delhi seem like a land of pickpockets, hassles, official incompetence, and intestinal diseases.

On the other hand, I don’t often believe what I read on travel websites. Has anyone been there recently? Is it worth having a look around? What should I see if I have a day and a healthy budget?

Thanks,

Tomas[/quote]
Hi!!
Nah, it’s not bad. Hire a car for a day, and enjoy yourself sight seeing. A car with a driver, should be around 1500 INR per day…MAX!

Check out some beautiful Mughal Monuments, the latest craze is Humayun’s tomb after Obama dropped in, the Taj is based on the same model and shop at places like Dilli Haat. January is a fabullous month to come to Delhi, it will be foggy, COLD, and lovely :laughing:

Shopping! Shopping! And eating, eating!

Proper caution as with any other big city is advisable, but other wise I found it not scary. Monuments are a must, I liked the museums but they are not everybody’s cup of tea, and it is a lot cheaper in the museum stores.

Thank you ladies. I’ll book the extra day, see the monuments, buy some things for my wife and daughters.

I like the idea of arranging a car. I should be able to do that through the hotel, eh?

We booked a car/driver with a local Indian travel agency -since we also took trains and planes . I had the car to myself for half a day as my friend was working, so in the morning I walked and took tuk-tuks while in the afternoon I told him where to go -there are several markets, from Khan to more traditional. In other places we had a guide, like to go to the mosque and such, as they get preferred lines -get in faster- and can explain a lot of details books do not get that much right. Guides are not good for shopping -remember, if it is the official Government store, it looks like a government store.

I’m headed there tomorrow Tomas, so I’ll let you know about the hassles and intestinal maladies, if any. Don’t think we’ll have much time for sightseeing though, unfortunately.

We have a driver booked too—if he’s any good I’ll pass on his details by PM.

Cheers, Taffy. Safe travels to you.

[quote=“Taffy”]I’m headed there tomorrow Tomas, so I’ll let you know about the hassles and intestinal maladies, if any. Don’t think we’ll have much time for sightseeing though, unfortunately.

We have a driver booked too—if he’s any good I’ll pass on his details by PM.[/quote]
You’ll be seeing ME :slight_smile:

Tomas, cars are aplenty everywhere, hotels ofcourse will be the STEEPEST, yet affordable.

This is true. Obviously in comparison the rest of Delhi’s attractions pale into insignificance…

Well if divea is in Delhi and doing well, I’m sure it’ll be fine. Like I said, I don’t really believe those travel websites.

Looking forward to it, booking my ticket now.

Thanks! Without that explanation, I would have thought you meant you were going to Delhi, Iowa! :doh: :smiley:

This is true. Obviously in comparison the rest of Delhi’s attractions pale into insignificance…[/quote]
Ha!! That sounds as if I were the extinct dodo :laughing: