A few questions about pharmacies in Taiwan

I know I’ve been here long but I still don’t know about this stuff.

1. Why do pharmacies not give invoices ? For over the counter stuff. E.g If I buy strepsils in a pharmacy I get nothing but if I buy it at a Watsons or Cosmed, I’ll get an invoice.

2. Why do pharmacies only accept cash ? Only rarely do they accept cards.

3. It’s the same in pharmacies located inside hospitals or clinics. No invoices. Almost always ask your cash.

I don’t see this in any other area. Are pharmacies exempt from this?

It’s not just NHI stuff either, which I know is subsidized. Even for out of pocket medical services or medicine, it’s the same.

For my parents I spend thousands each month out of pocket for medical and medicine, and I always have to pay in cash and never get invoices.

Just wondering if there’s a reason for it.

1 Like

Also want to share an experience that maybe helpful to you all :

There’s a small pharmacy near my home. Family owned. Very nice and friendly people. In fact they have a kid my daughter’s age and they sometimes play with each other while I purchase medicines.

I always go there because it’s near my home and most importantly they are open till 11:00, which can be helpful.

My parents need a lot of meds. On average I spend between 5000 to 10,000 each month.

Based on that, I am certain that just in the last 6 months I must have spent at least 50,000+ at this little pharmacy.

For some reason lately I felt like some of their stuff was unusually expensive. Basic things like cough medicine, stomachache etc… Last week I bought something there for 200 and later found it at Watson’s for 100 only.

Last night, ver late I was tending to my dad so I asked my wife to get a few medicines from the same store. It cost about 2000NT.

Even since the watson thing, I have been meaning to test their prices to make sure they haven’t been taking advantage of me.

So today, I finally did it. Went around on the scooter, kept asking the prices of the same medicines I have been buying at this pharmacy for months.

Turns out, they have been over charging me, by a lot.

If something costs 30 nt, they charge 50. For something that costs 1000, they charge 1300. For something that cost 250, they charge 450.

I went ahead and bought medicines at their “normal” prices from the other store, and then returned to that pharmacy where we’ve been buying this whole time.

Very politely I confronted them. I only asked why their pharmacy alone was so much more expensive than others. I showed her the pills I just bought (same ones they sold my wife last night). I wrote down the prices. The difference was 600NT.

The lady was speechless. She gave me 600 immediately that she had overcharged my wife last night, and began apologizing, acting dumb.

Anyways, I never said anything to her. I was very polite.

I left realizing that I must’ve lost thousands at this shop over the last several months. Behind the smile and friendliness, they took advantage, just because they could.

Only sharing this to say, be careful! Follow your gut. Always ask around. Most Taiwanese don’t do this, but there’s definitely some bad (dishonest) apples around.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t call that dishonest behavior unless she is charging different customers different prices and purposely taking advantage of particular customers who don’t know any better. It is like comparing a convenience store pricing to a supermarket. Her location may be more convenient, open later, and she has to shop around to collect the items from other shops so she has to make a profit somewhere.

For some of my meds that I used to take such as finasteride, the prices have ranged from 1300NT for a box (at a Shilin pharmacy) to 550NT for a box (at a Zhongshan pharmacy). I think it’s just doing business, and better to shop around as a consumer. She probably gave a refund because she knows you. I wouldn’t get a refund if I got ripped off when buying my finasteride at the Shilin pharmacy.

Though as a business owner I would probably offer a refund so it brings the price similar or a little higher than the larger chains, for keeping a loyal customer and trade off in convenience.

1 Like

It’s possible, it’s what you say it is.

For reference, I live in downtown. There’s a bunch of pharmacies around all in 5 min scooter driving distance. They are all small pharmacies. I always went to this one because it’s the closest and I can walk there.

Just surprised at the difference.
And from look on her face it seemed like she knew.

Anyways, the lesson is that it’s good to ask around.

3 Likes