A general psychology thread

Another goodie from Flipboard, and seeing as how there is no general psychology thread for such interesting news, well, now there is.

I’ll start it off with said goodie:

Those posters particularly proud of their ‘radar’ or intuition would do well to consider the possibility that they might just be mistaken.

2 Likes

Speaking with The Debrief, Dr. Justin Couchman, professor of psychology at Albright College and co-author of the recent study, says the ability to make correct intuitive decisions is increasingly becoming one of the most critical skills to have in the modern information-technology age.

I’d have to agree with that. One cannot immediately process the flood of information one gets these days. We’re wired for reflection and when we don’t utilize it, well…

Most everyone can recall a time when they’ve encountered someone unabashedly declaring they are correct and everyone else’s contradictory opinion is uninformed and simply wrong. At times it may seem evident that this person doesn’t know what they are talking about, however, they appear to be blissfully unaware of their ignorance.

In psychology, this phenomenon is known as the Dunning-Kruger effect

One wonders if the amount of argumentative pushback when challenged one suffering from DKE correlates to their depth of their ignorance. :ponder:

To put it bluntly, the Dunning-Kruger effect says that due to cognitive bias, incompetent people are too inept to realize they are incompetent, which causes them to defend incorrect opinions or beliefs.

If only we had a way to access this kind of data on the flob. An audit of some kind.

Results of Dunning and Kruger’s research did not show that incompetent people think they’re better than competent people. Rather, it showed that bias causes incompetent people to believe they are more capable than they actually are.

Which might explain the humility…you know…of such a poster…er person.

A frequently cited problem on the CRT is the question: “A bat and ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat cost $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?” The intuitive answer that readily comes to mind is .10, which is incorrect. The correct answer is $.05 ($.05 ball + $1.05 bat = $1.10 total). To arrive at the correct answer, one must reject their initial “gut” response and engage in deliberative, analytical reasoning.

ha

Researchers said the results suggest that low-performers were either less likely to initiate analytical thinking to verify their intuitive responses, or the output generated by analytical processes failed to provide convincing evidence for them to overturn their intuitive reaction. The results could mean that low-performers and high-performers may not use the same heuristic cues when judging their intuitive decisions’ accuracy. Low-performers may more heavily rely on less reliable suffice clues, such as answer fluency.

“We know from both human and monkey studies that our minds are capable of learning to notice when we are facing uncertainty and adaptively respond to it,” said Dr. Couchman. “Education is key. There is some hope that through education about intuitive errors and other cognitive fallacies, we could become better at mitigating our implicit biases. Metacognition often helps the implicit processes become more explicit, which is the best way of addressing bias. Rather than overriding your strongest intuitive response or fighting against it, you can learn to have other, more adaptive responses in the face of uncertainty.”

Hopefully, this will back educators away from “Ah-HA!” moments of “intuition.”

Good read, TT. Here’s the actual study for the nerdz:

1 Like

Dunning and Kruger deserve a Nobel, IMO. Their research is as close as you can get to a Theory of Everything in psychology.

“To put it bluntly, the Dunning-Kruger effect says that due to cognitive bias, incompetent people are too inept to realize they are incompetent, which causes them to defend incorrect opinions or beliefs.”

This article was a very helpful and insightful look into the OP’s psyche, and I’m glad a couple posters here have set upon a journey of self awareness and recovery. It takes courage not only to embark on this difficult journey of self reflection, but to have the courage to share this with others really represents progress. What a breakthrough.

Namaste, soldiers. We’re here for you.

Another useless contribution from @McNulty.

If you think the recent and interesting article demonstrates something about my psyche, please elaborate on your opinion here. If you are trying to clearly state some point, I’m afraid you have not done so in a competent manner.

As for progress, I wish I could congratulate you on the same.

or don’t.

Sure, no prob.

Narcissistic personality disorder - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

You seem to be drawing the conclusion that if someone defends their opinions or beliefs, they are therefore incompetent.

The D-K effect is quite complex and nuanced. People who are competent tend to be confident. People who are extremely competent tend to doubt themselves more than they ought to.

Quote me saying that if you feel that way. :slight_smile:

Well, it comes off as a thinly veiled personal attack, but I’m not going to just trust my instincts on that, because I am:

1. capable of learning
  2. open to the possibility that I am wrong
  3. a decent human being with a sense of generosity

So, let us see if there is a response which is not a personal attack, in which case I will have erred on the side of competence. If a non-personal elucidation is not forthcoming, well, that is a result which we can also interpret in light of the posted article.

1 Like

Could just be he’s a cokc.

1 Like

Is there another interpretation of your comment? Why not spell it out?

Imposter syndrome?
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02401-6

Well, I definitely got my answer on this one.

Seriously, McN? You’re think this applies to the OP, whose only offence is to start a thread on ‘general psychology’? Do you have any idea what NPD looks like? It is almost certainly not what you think it is.

@jdsmith, are you working with a professional here or are these delusions being projected? If that is being projected, I wonder what else could be? My doctorate is in education, so I’m not really sure on this one…

I have a pretty good idea of what weak sauce looks like, and projection.

1 Like

I’ve learned quite a bit about it in recent months! :slight_smile:

I doubt it. NPD individuals are vile. They are absolutely impossible to get along with. They reduce people to tears for the fun of it. They’re a shade short of being psychopaths. To the extent that you might make a tentative diagnosis from the way somebody writes, nobody on Forumosa is even close to being NPD.

nobody?

If you had to pick one, it would be me though, right?

I guess someone here disagrees! That takes courage. We’re making big strides today.

@Finley Is there a name for the psychological condition in which one continuously talks about oneself and exaggerates their own credentials and accomplishments?

Talking about yourself all the time doesn’t necessarily mean you’re a narcissist — here’s what could actually be going on

• It’s a common belief that narcissists talk about themselves a lot.
  • While this may be true, frequent use of the words"me" and “I” in conversation may indicate something else.
  • This “I-talk” could be a sign someone is emotionally distressed, according to new research.

There are several ways to spot a narcissist. They are usually the people who have a highly inflated sense of themselves, a lack of empathy, and a need for admiration.

Sometimes, people consider someone who constantly talks about themselves to be a narcissist. But this might not actually be true.

While one type of narcissist, the grandiose type, will be very self-obsessed and self-important, not all of them act this way. Also, as new research suggests, being all “me, me, me” could be an indication of something completely different.

The study, published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, examined a large dataset from 4,700 individuals from six labs in the US and Germany. It showed how much people used “I-talk” — “I,” “me,” and “my” — in written and spoken tasks, as well as how they scored on measures of depression and negative emotions.

Talking About Yourself Could Mean You’re Emotionally Distressed (businessinsider.com)