A general psychology thread

Yeah, but probably not in the ways you intended. Really, someone should do a study on the psyche of anti vaxxers, anti science corporatist types’ brains. They’re wired differently.

Cheers yo, got stuff to do this afternoon.

Long term as well. Science is always evolving and proving itself wrong. Thats the beauty of it, always humbling. Which is normally an amazing feeling.

Sure. Facts don’t normally turn on a dime, but I see your point.

Science is, in the most basic of terms, the pursuit of “truth/fact”. How people use it for their own bias should not be considered science at all. Science is simply just that. And its dangerous to mistake that with scientists whih may be very corrupted. Any person that is true to science should be THRILLED their theory got proven wrong.

I’d counter this with, but to the extent my senses function at a competent level:

I’ve had experiences with this type of individual. The fact they’re writing things, not speaking them, doesn’t mask it very well at all from over here on Radar Mountain.

I know, dumb name for a mountain.

1 Like

You mean, like fake doctors?
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 6.45.10 AM

I’ve been employed at places where a new employee came in and acted this part, insisting they have some kind of elevated background/prestige (when they’re just the same level of experience as every other employee).

I guess it’s some kind of pre-emptive attempt to establish a buffer in which they don’t get looked at too closely by higher ups, while at the same time trying to gain perception as a level above in the pecking order from their colleagues.

Then over time the cracks eventually show and almost everyone comes around to realizing not only are they not a level above, they’re a level below.

Some people, myself included, figured it out pretty quickly, but everyone pretty much got there in time. Maybe a couple didn’t because of their susceptibility to flattery.

Had acquaintances like this too, for every subject that comes in they need to whip it out and show you who they know, what they know, and so on. Like clockwork.

Once you see it once, it’s unmistakable the next time it pops up. So as obnoxious as this kind of person can be, they serve to attune you to every subsequent encounter with someone with a similar MO.

1 Like

Sounds like a bad toupee

I disagree (again). I was interested to see the new biochemistry guy (forgot his name now) engaging with brianjones in the Coronavirus thread. He appears to know his stuff. Watching people who know what they’re talking about, or having the chance to ask them questions, is a lot more fun that arguing over nothing.

1 Like

I’ll check that out. I’m guessing said guy isn’t reminding everyone 5 times a day about their academic resume, but actually discussing ideas? Sounds worth reading.

“Being a narcissist” is not the same thing as having NPD.

Not sure what this means.

Just a note. Can you guys (I’m pretty sure it’s only guys acting like this!) quit the name calling and try to keep on track. Else I’ll dump this thread into Temp or, better yet, international politics.

I’m not naming names, either. but there might be a few posts that get deleted…

Science isn’t about facts though, particularly cutting-edge science. Certain things are accepted as “fact” because they’ve been attacked so often and been left standing. Newton’s laws are incredibly reliable even though we don’t know what mass and gravity are, exactly. But most of “what we know” just comprises a list of fairly-well-accepted hypotheses, and there’s a lot of stuff that’s being shown to be completely false. If something works then we accept it as temporarily true, but the goal of science is to poke and prod at it to see if it falls over.

Where science go wrong is when people prematurely attach the word “fact” to hypotheses, and that seems to happen because the general public, and even a lot of people in science-related careers, genuinely don’t understand how science works. Far too many people think that science “proves” things, like in a court of law.

He disappeared after a while. I think he got frustrated.

might as well just burn the whole thing

I have deleted a few personal attacks but the general debate is interesting as long as you keep it civil, and refrain from posting after 12 glasses of Scotch.

2 Likes

Eh, same experience - rather, same kind of person I avoid. You’re right they’re not quite the same, the work experience was not the same as the acquaintance one, the former being much more devious.

I tend to put em in good actor/bad actor piles, while the acquaintance didn’t do anything underhanded with me personally, I’ve certainly heard of their character issues.

It means it’s easy to spot anywhere, when people talk enough, or type enough. I thought that one was pretty self-explanatory? Anyway…

Does this rule apply to @jimipresley? He’s more amusing after the Scotch.

Of course not. Don’t want the guy to have to change his habits on our account now, do we?

1 Like

An interesting perspective on NPD. During my year stuck in Elbonia I was pondering on precisely this issue. In that benighted place, Cluster B disorders are rampant, and the distinction between ‘true’ and ‘false’ is largely a matter of personal opinion. It’s not so much that people lie - they just feel at liberty to decide arbitrarily what the truth is according to their whim.