A Latino superhero

Very interesting stuff.

https://www.ozy.com/rising-stars/a-stuntman-turned-director-makes-the-first-latino-superhero-movie/94129?utm_source=SM&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_name=Organic&fbclid=IwAR0opgGRvuoYsjLhN36JWtuhugkR6P8rhKif2wwnYe4zBPk_HeQbE8bl0Ss

Bray wanted to explore the origin story and mystique of El Chicano more in the film — opening with a Los Angeles history montage including the Battle of Chavez Ravine, the Zoot Suit and Watts riots and the Chicano Moratorium — but he was held back by budget constraints. Still, if Latino crowds flock to the film as African-Americans did to Black Panther, the door will be opened for El Chicano sequels, comic books and even more.

Somehow I doubt the whole “Chicano” theme will resonate with most Hispanic Americans.

maybe wrong place

First??

Come on…

ETA:

7 Likes

2 Likes

Remember the movie Bruce went to see as a child? usually, it is presented as El Zorro.

Maybe first modern superhero, with origin story and al that jazz.

I do agree that yes, Chicano being a particular segment of Latino population, this may not have the pull of say, panAfrican Black Panther. But at least it will be genuine.

Batman’s roots in (or debt to) Zorro are confirmed by the fact he was walking home from seeing ‘Zorro’ when his parents were gunned down as a kid.

1 Like

There’s actually a bazillion of them in both MCU and DCU, but none of them ever really made the Hollywood short list.

Well, except for

And they pretty much whitewashed him for the movie.

Yeah, that’s known

Are we counting all those Nacho Libre masked wrestlers?

Blue Beetle III (the one with the alien implant) and Ghost Rider III (the one with the car) are among the more prominent racially-Mexican superheroes.

https://youtu.be/Q2EIBU9khEU

Sorry, there will only be one Speedy Gonzales, “The Fastest Mouse in all Mexico.”
Saving all those starving Mexican mice from the villain Sylvester the Cat guarding the cheese factory

“¡Ándale! ¡Ándale! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba! ¡Epa! ¡Epa! ¡Epa! Yeehaw!”

All those are very good role models and yes, heroes, but I guess that a superhero has to be well, above the rest.