A List of Edible Wild Animals Found In Taiwan

Please ad to my list of edible wild animals found in Taiwan Here’s mine:

1. Deer 2. Wild Boar/Feral Pig 3. Squirrel 4. Small fowl-Dove 5. Formosan Bear 6. Fish-both fresh/salt-sea life in general 7. Smaller Rodents.

Thanks in Advance-anyone want to have a hike and lunch on Friday afternoon?

Apart from all the mammals and stuff (and you never mentioned Bats there, me boy), what about snails, earthworms, scorpions, spiders, bees, many ants, most snakes, almost all fish, and just about anything else that wriggles, slithers, flies, farts, and burps across the terrain.

But not cicadas or roaches. Both of those are icky. Very icky.

Snakes and frogs

[quote=“urodacus”]Apart from all the mammals and stuff (and you never mentioned Bats there, me boy), what about snails, earthworms, scorpions, spiders, bees, many ants, most snakes, almost all fish, and just about anything else that wriggles, slithers, flies, farts, and burps across the terrain.

But not cicadas or roaches. Both of those are icky. Very icky.[/quote]

I said fish-and would want a Bug Doctor like yourself to an exact list of edible insects. archanids, mollusks and sub-genus etc. plus which snakes-all of them? And the terrapin/turtles?

You can’t eat bats they carry diseases from China. I know that because I saw it in a movie with Matt Damon. And he would never lie.

And to answer your question I’m creating a culinary adventure tour of edible wild animals for Mainland Chinese Tourists. Especially the almost extinct ones.

Are you trolling my forum, Mr 2 Guns? :smiley:

Flying Fish Cookies, yum,yum :lick:

Canadians (they’re kinda like a free-range, more organic American).

Actually, bamboo worms are quite tasty. deep fried with a bit of ginger, until crunchy, in a sweet and sour sauce. :thumbsup: Try them, really, I’m serious.

1. Formosan Cooze. Tender, mild in flavor, relatively hairless and makes a great snack.

You can’t eat bats because they are usually protected by national and international law and the bad Karma will outweigh the nutrition thereof.

EVERYTHING carries diseases from China. But I’d guess if cooked thoroughly bats would be OK. I saw some Discovery shlokumentary with this geezer “surviving” in some mountains in China, and he ate bats (cooked). He did also eat a raw toad, (idiot EDIT: The presenter, not the toad. I dunno how you’d tell with a dead toad. ENDEDIT) but I suppose that was for the TV shock-factor.

You can’t eat almost extinct Chinese Tourists. They carry diseases from China.

We go camping up in San Xia and the owners are an aboriginal family. The brothers often go hiking for days hunting down a flying squirrel type mouse and say it is delish. :thumbsup:

I’d give it a go.

+1 on the flying squirrel type mouse.

Japanese wood spiders (Nephila maculata) make a tasty snack if all other available options consist of twigs and earth.
Actually, they’re not that bad.

Also, pigeon or squab. Pigeon sandwiches are great, and pigeons are in pretty decent supply.

You can eat badger or civet cat, but any mammal that eats meat is generally not as delicious as an mammal that is a herbivore. Cook them well.

And rabbit. Rabbits can be found here, although they are a little small.

You’ll need an awful lot of spiders to feed a coachload of Chinese tourists.

Stray dogs. Widely available, though I suppose they might not fit a restrictive definition of wild.

The one time I ate dog, other dogs (I think) smelled it on my sweat and started a mournful hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck howl-fest.

Made me feel guilty for violating some ancestral interspecific “contract” (like I’m Inuit or something, I didn’t even kill the thing myself :unamused: ). I havn’t done it again.

Mr 2Guns is probably made of sterner stuff, though, and Chinese tourists almost certainly are.

Rice field rats
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=94597&p=1240939&hilit=Rice+Field+Rats#p1240733

Fair bit of meat on them too.

I couldn’t eat a dog. I am a firm believer that dogs have played a huge and integral role in the evolution of human beings, and have influenced human society to such an extent that without the human co-existence with dogs, or indeed vice-versa, we would now be leading a life as very different people in wildly different societies.
There are lines to be drawn and for me, a very thick line has been drawn with a very thick brush around dog.

Just seeing if you were awake boss. It’s more of a mental exercise and has something to do with something I’m writing about. Thanks for the input!

Rats.
Cockroaches.
Human beings.

Pangolins. Slow, tasty, and not afraid man.

I was going to suggest pangolins, but didn’t want to tempt or encourage people, no matter how unlikely.

If I was going to break my vegetarianism, I’d do it with a pangolin.
Roasted, then very thinly sliced onto a French baguette, with tomatoes & horseradish sauce.

[quote=“jdsmith”]We go camping up in San Xia and the owners are an aboriginal family. The brothers often go hiking for days hunting down a flying squirrel type mouse and say it is delish. :thumbsup:

I’d give it a go.[/quote]

Mmm, the Taiwanese equivalent of capibara, didn’t know that. Where can I find this delicacy?