A New Generation of Slavery in Taiwan

What is the Taiwan government thinking?

[quote]A new generation of slavery
A crackdown on undocumented workers has led to illegal detentions and stretched the resources of the police and welfare groups

By Ron Brownlow
STAFF REPORTER
Sunday, Jun 04, 2006,Page 17

Advertising Advertising
Victoria Andres was in for a nasty surprise when she came to Taiwan. She had signed a contract in the Philippines to work as a caregiver for an elderly man in Ilan. But after arriving at Chiang Kai-shek International Airport she was driven to Banciao and put to work as a domestic helper, or maid, for a family of five. She never saw the old man.[/quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003311724

Tainan Cowboy waiting for you to bring the food :whistle:

I don’t want to be sworn at.

Good article. Thanks for keeping these items posted.

One of the heartening things about the indentured labour and animal welfare stories is that more and more Taiwanese seem to think this sort of thing is important. Fair play to them. Thanks for posting that. And you would have to say kudos to the TT for printing it. (Are the local Chinese-language papers covering this though?)

Not as much as they cover the millions of illegal slave workers in the US working for slave wages doing jobs Americans won’t do …

Not as much as they cover the millions of illegal slave workers in the US working for slave wages doing jobs Americans won’t do …[/quote]

Yes, the “two wrongs make a right” approach.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Not as much as they cover the millions of illegal slave workers in the US working for slave wages doing jobs Americans won’t do …[/quote]Sat TV -
Nice to se you back.

Now about the ridiculous allegations in this post…Got Sourcing on this?

Show me the “SLAVES.”?

TC lines up, the ball leaves the pitchers hand, he squeezes out the Fred Smith time waster kneejerk to perceived American criticism and . . . plop!! Falls short on the irony. :laughing:

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]TC lines up, the ball leaves the pitchers hand, he squeezes out the Fred Smith time waster kneejerk to perceived American criticism and . . . plop!! Falls short on the irony. :laughing:
HG[/quote]HGC -
Nice to see you are joining the other poster who follows me around making wisecracks about my posts.
Maybe a confab with the other one would improve your quality.
Or perhaps you have the back-up sourcing to support the claim of [quote]"…millions of illegal slave workers in the US working for slave wages doing jobs Americans won’t do…"[/quote], eh?

It’s irony TC, the point is not about America, it’s about the Taiwanese perception that there are a zillion slaves in the US. Chill, that’s what that smiley thing is supposed to advise.

While I can empathise for the odd flurry of anti-Yank diatribe, I do think it’s made you way too sensitive, indeed to the point you see it when it simply aint there.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]It’s irony TC, the point is not about America, it’s about the Taiwanese perception that there are a zillion slaves in the US. Chill, that’s what that smiley thing is supposed to advise.
While I can empathise for the odd flurry of anti-Yank diatribe, I do think it’s made you way too sensitive, indeed to the point you see it when it simply aint there.
HG[/quote]HGC -
The post directly refers to slaves in the USA.
No spinn needed. It is a direct reference to ‘millions of illegal slave workers in the USA.’
Pretty clear. Just asking for sourcing to back-up the post.
No reason that asking for a source to support a claim should ruffle any feathers. Its either there or it ain’t. Simple as that.
Just trying to seperate hyperbole from facts.

The worldwide problem of trafficking in human beings has attracted increased attention in recent years from governments and intergovernmental organizations, but the Taiwanese government has tended to ignore the human rights abuses to which trafficked persons are subjected, instead viewing trafficking primarily as an issue of illegal immigration.

Rather than taking action against human rights abuses experienced by the migrants, Taiwan government agencies in effect treat them as criminals. Holding people in detention for extended periods, without trial and not protecting the victims of trafficking. Abused persons are likely to bear the penalties of their illegal presence in Taiwan by deportation without ever having the right to defend themselves or make an offiicial complaint.

Taiwanese officials refuse to bring to justice persons who commit human rights abuses against women in sex work who are illegally in the country. However, various Taiwanese laws and policies, in particular the strict enforcement of immigration laws against these women, actually make prosecutions difficult and protect the Taiwanese human traffickers.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]No spinn needed. It is a direct reference to ‘millions of illegal slave workers in the USA.’
Pretty clear. Just asking for sourcing to back-up the post.
No reason that asking for a source to support a claim should ruffle any feathers. Its either there or it ain’t. Simple as that.
Just trying to separate hyperbole from facts.[/quote]

Ah so my TC friend… a link for you from June 2006… seems the USA takes most from Mexico

gvnet.com/humantrafficking/Mexico.htm

Whilst Eric lambasts Taiwan he forgets to mention his own country which is loudly suposed to be seen as the bastion of freedom liberty and all that crap…

A quote from the report…

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]It’s irony TC, the point is not about America, it’s about the Taiwanese perception that there are a zillion slaves in the US. Chill, that’s what that smiley thing is supposed to advise.

HG[/quote]

Maybe he just don’t understand good old Ozie cynicism :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

This kind of stuff makes me feel sick. People who hold slaves have respect for no one, including themselves. Thank’s for the find, I’ve posted this link on my blog.

Both the Taiwan government and the Taiwanese traffickers are treating these people as if they do not have human rights. The Taiwanese authorities have a responsibility to take action to protect against the enslavement and violence being perpetrated against these people. Human trafficking and enslavement are not immigration problems, they are human rights abuses and must be addressed as such.
Pointing at other problems in other parts of the world is not going to stop slavery in Taiwan.

Well maybe the countries they are being trafficked from is the place to start? I mean how is Taiwan supposed to stop these people getting in? As an island it has a natural inherent advantage in that people cannot just run over a border but equally small boats can land just about anywhere and will not show up on the radar.

Also, is deporting them really not helping? If it gets them back home and out of the clutches of their abusers then I would have thought that this was a positive step.

slavery (noun)

1. The state of one bound in servitude as the property of a slaveholder or household.
  2. The practice of owning slaves.
  3. A mode of production in which slaves constitute the principal work force.
  4. The condition of being subject or addicted to a specified influence: the slavery of sailors newly arrived in port to their sexual passions.
  5. A condition of hard work and subjection: the wage slavery of the masses to their communist dictators.

[quote=“Eric W. Lier”]Both the Taiwan government and the Taiwanese traffickers are treating these people as if they do not have human rights. The Taiwanese authorities have a responsibility to take action to protect against the enslavement and violence being perpetrated against these people. Human trafficking and enslavement are not immigration problems, they are human rights abuses and must be addressed as such.
Pointing at other problems in other parts of the world is not going to stop slavery in Taiwan.[/quote]

This quote below from the article you quoted… seems some slaves are very agreeable about coming to Taiwan