A Personal Statement from Zain Dean

I got the feeling of sickening, utter desperation in here though not like what Raskolnikov felt after hacking the old lady with an ax.
The people, the media needs a ‘bad guy’ and no matter how saintly good you have been in the past and trying to prove it, it wouldn’t hold a bit if there is no ‘bad guy’ and to get the diversion more difficult, the police are in connivance to protect the actual criminal and KTV’s reputation.

Mob rule is fueled by the press and unless you can get the media on your side, this is a sad story indeed. Don’t point your finger at the police or politicians, and the story will go from bad to worse, like a tragic B-movie.

I don’t think this is a special case for a foreigner, it can happen to anybody, anywhere where power, money and ignoble reputation or otherwise is involved.

I hope you win the case if it ever goes to court, leave Taiwan and never look back.

[quote=“sandman”]Ach! Zain! You’re a stalwart, as far as I’m concerned. Who to believe? Who to believe? The Da’an cops? The local (HA! HA! media?) You?
I know where MY money is. Peace and serenity to you, my friend.
I just wish this was the first time I’d heard of the cops and the media colluding to win a case here. Alas, its not the case. Rule of law?
PISS THE FUCK OFF! This is a backwater, second-world piss-stain on the face of the planet. You know it, I know it, we ALL know it.
Thinking of you, my man. Be strong.[/quote]

I hate to admit it, but my sentiments exactly!

Good luck to you. The longer I am here, the more I realize that we are always playing against a stacked deck. Justice, and doing what is ‘right’ is never what is important.

You have some folks prayin for ya. I hope you and all involved in this mess can quickly move on past this tragic story.

I love Taiwan , but it seems the rule of law doesnt apply when guanxi is involved, which makes Taiwan appear quite backwards to outsiders. A lot of work for them to do before they even think of joining the UN

Good luck to you, Mr. Dean.

Home is even worse than Taiwan in this sense, and not only are we part of the UN, but have a seat in the Security Council, so membership in this organization is no guarantee for rule of law to triumph over endemic factors.

To Mr. Dean: this is a diificult and bitter ordeal, but as with all things, it shall pass, too. For good or worse, it shall pass.

Even though I never met you Mr Dean, I hope it all works out. It is unfortunate to see how the media and police handled it.

Your experience sounds truly horrifying. I am hoping against all reason that things end well for you.

Take care.

Mr. Dean, I hope you hang in there and come out on the other side of this thing in OK shape.

Mr Dean made an appearance in court today. Although his lawyer did a reasonably good job when making a brief statement to the media the Chinese-language TV coverage looked hopelessly biased IMHO.

The assumption of his guilt was spread through all three reports that I saw. None of them mentioned anything that actually happened in court. It was all about the fears of the victim’s family that Mr. Dean has three or four passports and might flee the country etc. The story was labelled “English Businessman that killed filial son in court”

ICRT looked much more professional by comparison:
Subject: British National Pleads Innocent At Opening of Trial

British businessman Zain Dean pleaded innocent today … in the start of his trial for a fatal hit-and-run in Taipei back in March.

When asked by the judge if he was responsible for the accident … Dean denied the charges.

Dean has been indicted for involuntary manslaughter and fleeing the scene of a traffic accident … with prosecutors seeking a 2 1/2 year sentence against him.

32 year-old Huang Jun-de … who was on a scooter … died after being hit from behind.

Dean … who is currently out on bail … .has claimed a pub worker was
driving his car at the time … and that he was in the passenger seat.

The judge today also banned him from leaving the country … calling him a potential flight-risk after suggesting he might be holding a second passport.

Tearful family members of the dead man accousted Dean outside the court … demanding to know why he has so far refused to apologize.

what risk could there be? One could only leave the country with the passport that one came in with, so what does it matter if one has 2, 3 or even a hundred passports?

[quote]
ICRT looked much more professional by comparison:
Subject: British National Pleads Innocent At Opening of Trial[/quote]

So much for professionalism.

There is no “Innocent” choice.

It’s “Guilty” or “Not Guilty.”

Rubes.

helpful edit:
There are a brazillion cameras on Taipei city streets. You’d best find some footage that support your claims. Because, even I cannot support a conspiracy THAT big in dontknowmyassfrommyelbow land.

It doesn’t matter and won’t get you any trouble as long as the name on those passports matches the indentity of the passport holder :smiley:

The question is… from my understanding on the news report, Mr.Zain Dean is as known as 林克穎.
However during the trial today the court found out he got a different name,“柯瑞明” on the other ID document (I am not sure what it is, as I saw one TV station said, it’s another passort whereas some other TV station said it’s APRC) .
During the trial, the judge questioned him whether he holds another passport, according to the report, Mr. Dean bit the tongue. And the departure prohibition order on Mr. Dean was issued.

I feel really sorry for the family. It’s a terrible event for everyone concerned.

As someone who once stopped to help an accident victim only to be accused by said person of being the one who hit her, and as someone who’s ex-SO lost a beloved mother to a drunk driver, I have to say that I just hope the real culprit is discovered and made to pay–whoever that may be.

[quote=“hardball”][quote]ICRT looked much more professional by comparison:
Subject: British National Pleads Innocent At Opening of Trial[/quote]
So much for professionalism.

There is no “Innocent” choice.

It’s “Guilty” or “Not Guilty.”

Rubes.
[/quote]
That’s actually a standard practice for many professional journalists. The stylebook of the Associated Press, for example, gives “Use innocent, rather than not guilty, in describing a defendant’s plea or a jury’s verdict, to guard against the word not being dropped inadvertently.”

But my copy’s a little old. I don’t know if that has been changed.

[quote=“Zain Dean”]This repair shop only has one slot for vehicles, so other cars waiting to be repaired must be parked outside on the public road. The owner of the repair shop (Mr M) asked me what had caused this, I said I didn’t know (not wanting to tell him that I had been to a hostess bar, etc). He estimated the repair cost to be quite high if we used new original (Mercedes) parts, but lower if we used second hand parts. Either way, he was not able to give a price, so I left the car outside his shop in full public view and then went home. By this time, it was noon Thursday, the 25th March.
(Note the car in question was a 1994 Mercedes Benz E320, which I bought for 100,000 NTD approximately 2 years ago, at the time of the accident, the market price for such car was approximately 60,000-80,000 NTD).
After a day had elapsed, I visited the repair store and learned that second parts would not be easy to find (radiator) and chassis straightening, numerous panel repairs and a new front bumper would cost over 100,000 NTD using original parts, and for second hand parts, he’d have to take a few weeks to find out.
As I had originally been planning to leave Taiwan at the end of March (all my friends on Facebook and at the Rotary club for example had known this in early March when I had told them) I decided to have the car scrapped instead. I didn’t see the point of spending a lot of money to repair a car, more than it’s worth, nor did I see the point of waiting for weeks until parts could be found as I was planning on leaving in the next few weeks.
(I had made the statement on Facebook and given a speech at the Rotary club to that effect. I had already started giving away my books and paintings to charity, etc. The fact I was getting ready to leave at the end of March, latest April, was not a secret to all those that knew me).
On Friday I told Mr M at the repair store of my idea, and he then proceeded to remove the DVD player etc from the car. I asked my wife to have the car scrapped. After she contacted the scrap yard, she received another offer instead. Instead of scrapping the car (which would be done immediately, on the 26th March) she was offered the option of selling the car instead (which would mean an ownership change that would happen on the 31st).

(Of course, if I had been planning to ‘destroy the evidence’, I would have taken the quicker option, and the car would have been converted to a block of metal immediately. By taking the slower option, I would be leaving the ‘evidence’ open to future investigation, not something one would do if he had the motive to destroy the evidence).[/quote]

This seems like a very reasonable explanation. I know for a fact that Mr Dean was planning to leave Taiwan very soon because, just before the accident, he promised to donate a load of tools to the SPCA because of it.

Innocent or guilty? Who knows? I don’t. You say you do; I say you don’t. That’s what we’re disagreeing on.

This is not that complicated to sort out.

Like the other posters said there are lots and lots of cameras in Taiwan. Solution to prove innocence should not be that hard.

1. Hire a private detective
  2. Get private detective to check all video footage on the route in the time frame

Video footage should be there. If it is not then why not? If the footage has been destroyed or is missing then this is a good defense in itself and causes doubt on the whole case. The private investigator can investigate as to why there is no video footage. If there is video footage the private detective will find it. Either way time is of the essense and I’m not quite sure why extra footage has not been sought in this case. I find it very hard to believe there is no clear footage of this accident or at least a few mintues up to or after the accident. It is out there so find it.

By video footage i mean footage that has not been found yet and there has to be some right? This would clear things up somewhat no?

Also try and obtain the full night’s footage from the KTV camera which has supplied what you believe to be ‘tampered’ footage (of the KTV worker returning to the club 6 mins after he left). The club ‘should’ :laughing: be able to give you a full 6 hours of footage from midnight to 6am, and it is harder to seamlessly replace ‘tampered’ footage back into the full 6 hours.

Of course, the KTV will claim that it has been deleted, blah, blah, but get a PI on the case. You never know what he can get hold of.

I’m not quite sure why you think this hasn’t been done. Because its not been in the papers or on the flob? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Footage has been known to vanish. No private dick in the world would ever be able to bring it back. I’ve seen pretty much the same thing once at a police station in Taoyuan. And as if to hammer the point home, the same thing happened about 2 months later in Zhong-li. Others have similar tales of disappearing evidence.

Quite amazing to me that nobody has picked up on this. All the blathering about “camera evidence”. Pathetic. Easily manipulated.
Whatever.
I don’t know this Zain bloke, but he’s been found guilty by the media and numerous flobbers, so he must be guilty. The ongoing nastiness and trial by flob is really starting to irk me. Scant human compassion going around for my liking.:2cents: