A Question About ARC Renewal before or at the End of a Contract

I know there are lots of topics about this but all the cases seem to be a little different. I have been here on a 9 month contract which is coming to an end–as is the ARC. Both finish on December 31. The employer is saying they think they will need me again but they need government approval. They advise me to go for a month and come back in February when they will have approval. However, it would give me more options if I could simply extend the present ARC for 6 months and say I am looking for another job. Then if another job comes up it’s fine and if this one comes through in February it’s fine too.

I have read about people who resign and then extend their ARC for 6 months. Is it just as easy to do that if the contract is expiring? If so, when should I look to extend if it expires December 31? I assume the extension gives the right to freely travel out and come back during that time. Or maybe not or there is a special procedure?

Any up to date advice/information appreciated.

1 Like

when your contract is expiring, it is more simple than you resign, so people don’t ask much on those cases here. You may apply for the extension 30 days before the expiration date. Processing time is 10 working days, so you should visit NIA at least two weeks before Dec. 31. You can travel in and out with the extension ARC as with other ARCs.

1 Like

Thanks so much: the main point is already answered then. But as often happens the ‘big’ answer gives rise to a lot more smaller/lesser questions. For me these are:

1. My employer nor the agency who got me the job has mentioned this option. Perhaps they prefer people to go back home at the end of contracts? Do I need their help in any essential way? Or can I just ignore them if they are unhelpful?
  2. I am mostly based in Thailand when not hopping across to do jobs here or elsewhere. Would I be able to stay in Thailand for January for example and then come back to Taiwan in February? What are the rules for this and how long can I be absent?
  3. Is there any chance there might be problems with last payments at the end of December if the ARC has been changed? Does a work contract go together with one ARC ? Or perhaps the ARC number doesn’t change? It’s an extension, right? All important numbers would be the same?
  4. They owe me about 70000 dollars in tax. Should I see them before I go–or just leave it to my February return and see them in May or when I leave permanently?
  5. I assume extending the ARC will protect my bank accounts here–no sudden closure demands when job stops?
  6. It is a simple procedure to continue the Health Insurance payments after December? How do I do that and is it expensive?
  7. I know they take the old ARC, but do they issue a new one or just give a document of some kind?

Again, all help appreciated. I have only been here 8 months and have been fed answers so far through an employment agency.

Thank you.

1 Like
  1. My employer nor the agency who got me the job has mentioned this option. Perhaps they prefer people to go back home at the end of contracts? Do I need their help in any essential way? Or can I just ignore them if they are unhelpful?

No need of any involvement from your employer. You just go to NIA with your expiring ARC and valid passport.

1. I am mostly based in Thailand when not hopping across to do jobs here or elsewhere. Would I be able to stay in Thailand for January for example and then come back to Taiwan in February? What are the rules for this and how long can I be absent?

You can be anywhere while you have the ARC.

1. Is there any chance there might be problems with last payments at the end of December if the ARC has been changed? Does a work contract go together with one ARC ? Or perhaps the ARC number doesn’t change? It’s an extension, right? All important numbers would be the same?

No. The new ARC most probably has the same number. In addition, it is for 6 months from the next day of the expiration date of your current ARC.

1. They owe me about 70000 dollars in tax. Should I see them before I go–or just leave it to my February return and see them in May or when I leave permanently?

The latter.

1. I assume extending the ARC will protect my bank accounts here–no sudden closure demands when job stops?

Right.

1. It is a simple procedure to continue the Health Insurance payments after December? How do I do that and is it expensive?

You visit a NHI office in your location to change your status. It is about 500NTD per month.

1. I know they take the old ARC, but do they issue a new one or just give a document of some kind?

You will get a receipt paper when you apply for an extension at NIA, and visit them again about a week later to receive a new card in exchange for the paper.

1 Like

Thank you so much. That clears up everything One small point: is it important to apply for the Health Insurance change of status before the end pf my contract or is that less urgent?

Or I guess I must get the ARC first and then apply–probably in early days of January as I am covered until the end of December? Could I just give them around 3000 dollars in the office to cover 6 months?

You are supposed to visit a NHI office within 3 days from your status changed. You can set the bill automatically deducted from your bank account.

1 Like

Thanks. Will I be denied after 3 days? It’s a tight turnaround. I would have thought it made sense to do it in early January if the new ARC only becomes effective from the day after the expiry of the current one?