A Question for all you Britons

I see your Pound is not so sound these days.

Any idea on how far the Sterling will go down?

Is it at the bottom now, or are things about to get extra salty?

Thinking a-boot buying a bit of your precious cash with the hopes it might appreciate.

Care to advise, currency speculation is not my forte.

Thanks.

Nor ours.

Nor ours.[/quote]

you speak for everyone?

Nor ours.[/quote]

you speak for everyone?[/quote]

Just our economists/politicians/bankers/business leaders.

If people knew, they’d get rich off of it. But they don’t.

great replies, very helpful opinions.

Annnnny time, no problem. Buy high, sell low!

And nor I suspect will it ever become thus as long as you rely on the razor-sharp minds of a bunch of bored expats wittering away on a bulletin board.
As for advice, though, I fear the poond has a long way to go yet under the mindboggling ineptitude of that fart in a bottle, Broon, our Most Revered and Honourable Dear Great Unelected Leader (may angels feast on his arse-sprinklings). Read some Brit papers and then buy… god! Pretty much anything BUT the quid, I’d guess.

And nor I suspect will it ever become thus as long as you rely on the razor-sharp minds of a bunch of bored expats wittering away on a bulletin board.
As for advice, though, I fear the poond has a long way to go yet under the mindboggling ineptitude of that fart in a bottle, Broon, our Most Revered and Honourable Dear Great Unelected Leader (may angels feast on his arse-sprinklings). Read some Brit papers and then buy… god! Pretty much anything BUT the quid, I’d guess.[/quote]

well to be quite honest, I wasn’t looking for the inside scoop that was going to make me rich, I was just curious as to the sentiment back on your bland and dreary rock. Figured some of you escapees may still keep an eye what goes on back there, or even discuss current events with relatives back home from time to time. Are people upbeat (probably not)? Do they feel this is the low point(perhaps)? Do they think things will get much worse (maybe)? Perhaps there was a specific reason for the drop (gov’t wanting to increase exports for example)?

Funny how everyone responds with the tired old: “how do we know? If we did know we’d be cashing in now wouldn’t we?”

Many of the same folk who posterially pontificate at great lengths about shit they know nothing about, like American politics, suddenly have nothing to offer in the way of opinion.

Sandman yours was actually the best response. Cheers!

I actually live and work here.

But ‘bland and dreary rock’? Erm, that’s not really going to make anyone feel inclined to ‘share’, now is it?

But you can prolly find some random folk who will speculate til the cows come home, around here.

There’s a strong likelihood of the pound falling a lot further, and little prospect of it rebounding to any significant extent in the foreseeable future. The UK economy is being hit especially hard by the global financial maelstrom. Since financial services were such a big part of the country’s economic boom, the meltdown of that sector is turning that boom into all the bigger a bust.

I reckon this marks the beginning of the end for sterling, and that we’ll soon be making serious moves toward becoming part of the euro zone.

The pound is somewhere around bottom right now if you are an optimist, but there is still a strong possibility that the currency may almost completely collapse. A lot depends on the coming months and how the housing market trends (which will be down). As far as my call, I would say the pound isn’t going up any time soon and if you want to invest in something then buy gold, silver and after that if you want an excellent profit in the long term, then go for platinum. Platinum is off its average by a long, long way, and although is mainly driven by the industry (being an important component in catalytic converters for cars), it is often pushed up quickly when the yellow gold price increases. Now is potentially a very good low to be getting in to gold, so get your skates on. Taiwan Bank will allow to you to open an account which you can manage online if you need.

Paper currencies are likely to trend downwards over the next year to three years. Stick to precious metals and you won’t be disappointed.

Who are the Britons?
The only people who can use ‘pound’ and ‘bottom’ in the same sentence.

I think we should ask Forumosa’s resident climatologists to make predictions from the data, which you can get from here

oanda.com/convert/fxhistory? … directed=1

After all, even though it’s a bit noisy in the short term like the weather, it should be predictable in the long term, just like climate is.

We Britons say ‘Buy the Groat!’ and only trade in eggs and chickens.
As an Englishman, I would say buy gold to be safe, as any of the major currencies could take a fall at any time, but the $ and Yen are probably the safest bet at present. The once mighty £ has been well and truly fucked by Crash Gordon and his merry band, so it may look tempting at its current rate, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

I’m currently trying to save a wad of cash say the equivalent of 6000UK before we think of having kids. Are we better to keep it here, or send it home and hope the exchange rate goes up again?

great responses on page two, thanks guys

:laughing: So are you buying?

yes, Forumosa is the last word in money talk

[quote=“Anyone for Tiffin?”]We Britons say ‘Buy the Groat!’ and only trade in eggs and chickens.
As an Englishman, I would say buy gold to be safe, as any of the major currencies could take a fall at any time, but the $ and Yen are probably the safest bet at present. The once mighty £ has been well and truly fucked by Crash Gordon and his merry band, so it may look tempting at its current rate, but I wouldn’t bank on it.[/quote]

I disagree about American dollars, as they are hanging on a cliff edge at the moment. The Yen is also a bit of a bubble right now, although I haven’t done much research into the Japanese currency as it affects my investments little if any at this time.

I’d put my money in pounds way before U.S. dollars for the long term, not to say that I would buy pounds either. We are selling ours at this time to buy more gold.
You are right about purchasing gold to be safe, and that is the pill that is needed at this time to ride out the serious bout of flu that the U.S. is sneezing on everyone.
Gold will outperform all currencies by the end of this year. Yes, you can quote me on that.

Easy! Buy gold and silver!

I’m rarely so insistent about things, but I simply can’t see any other alternative. If anyone has any evidence that U.S. dollars, or pounds can somehow magically become worth more long term in the face of serious inflation by bailout process, than I’ll be damned, as it simply flies in the face of reason and all logic.