A realistic third party in the US

Grace and tolerance? In politics? Good luck with that. :grin:

Thatā€™s the point. Iā€™ll vote for that.

2 Likes

Did you vote for him for mayor?

Iā€™m not entitled to vote locally. I probably would not have but didnā€™t look too closely.

You donā€™t keep your local voting rights if thatā€™s the last place you lived? Must be different than California.

Yeah, every state is different.

Well hopefully you can vote for Yang when he runs on the UBI party ticket. 2024?

Weā€™ll see! Not likely Iā€™ll be voting for either of the main gangs of lunatics. Maybe we can rely on Yang to have a reasonable Taiwan policy

1 Like

The system is so ingrained with both sides refusing to budge. Democrats get defensive and angry when I suggest that both parties are not that different and Republicans have basically gone off to the deep end. Corporations have gotten to the point that they can basically do whatever they want. A third party? All they have to do is bankroll that third party, give the people an illusion of change, and everything stays the same.

What we need is another antitrust movement.

Iā€™m not even sure democratic processes will ever result in the change we want, but other means of change is worse and often not change for the better.

Iā€™m not sold on UBI and so I couldnā€™t support the new third party on a federal level for that reason alone, though Iā€™m more likely to vote for it than either the GOP or Dems. I would like to see a few states try UBI so it could be field tested and we get to understand how well it works, but that would have to be coupled with a removal of almost all other social welfare programs (IMHO), and that doesnā€™t seem likely as we give the federal government more and more control over the states.

1 Like

Yeah, I have my doubts about the feasibility of UBI in the U.S. Brunei, no problem. Although if the government wants to cut me a check, I donā€™t see myself turning it down. I feel like Iā€™ve paid a lot into the system and not gotten much (if anything) in return.

1 Like

I thought Alaska has a UBI of sorts right?

They should definitely field test it in some states, especially ones with a high enough revenue to afford it. But they would also have to tax the rich a lot, and I donā€™t see this happening in the US.

Even with UBI I can see greedy landlords in the US raising rent so high that youā€™d still need a crap sustenance level job to survive.

Itā€™s between 1-2k a year. Iā€™m not sure that this payment could be considered a ā€œbasic incomeā€ nor would the effects on the labor market (or other markets) be nearly as effected by it.

The US already has the one of (if not the) most progressive tax rates in the world. The rich pay far more taxes as a percent of the total than in most other counties. Most of the countries that have highly distributive social programs also tax the bejesus out of the middle class and have highly regressive sales taxes. Thatā€™s what Americans wonā€™t like.

I sure hope that people will still need jobs to survive. Living off of ramen, weed, and Netflix may be ok for a couple years in college, but it is hardly a blueprint for a life well-lived.

The whole point of a UBI is to provide enough money to barely survive. It means enough money to pay rent, utilities, and very crappy food. Thatā€™s why itā€™s called basic income. Itā€™s not designed to provide for a good life. That you get a job for. If youā€™d lived on UBI you would (or should) only be able to afford a tiny apartment or shared room, ramens, and stuff.

The idea is to not have to work just to live like a monk and let your employers push you around simply because you need the job to exist. But you work because you wanted more in life than just live in a tiny apartment and ramens. It also allows people to take risks, such as say start a business or something. And if the boss wants to demand unreasonable stuff out of you such as unpaid overtimes, etc. you can tell him to f*** off.

But one reason why UBI is on the table is because of automation, and big tech companies making record profit while employing very little people, unlike in the past when companies who made record profit also employed record number of people. So obviously they would need to be some tax on this.

Actually I think I can as long as I intend to return. Iā€™ll have to take a look later.

In most places as long as you consider it your US ā€œhomeā€ while youā€™re abroad and/or that you plan to move back there when/if you go back, you keep your state residency and all voting rights.

1 Like