A week of demos?

I would say pass on this. There are plenty of other jobs out there.

[quote]Sounds like this…

Boss suddenly has a class open up. (For whatever reason.)
You are new to her. She doesn’t want to risk giving you a full time job because you might suck.
You are new here so she can make up shit. On way to airport she makes up shit about a week of demo. That way, if you suck, she can boot you. She calls you quickly and tells you this decision she has made, but says it is company policy. (Is this a lie or not? Depends on who you are.) You phone assistant who has no idea what you are on about, but doesn’t want to upset the boss, so assistant is as vague as possible, also not wanting to put their own neck on the line. Situation understood.

I reckon the boss WILL pay out, but this boss shows early signs of manipulation and decepetiveness.

Anyhoo, what she is asking you to do is totally illegal and could easily get you deported. Read other peoples horror stories if you will.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s pretty much what i was thinking too-- worst case scenario. I don’t blame them for not wanting to take a chance on someone they don’t know, but I feel like they haven’t been honest with me. I’ve also been getting a really unfriendly vibe from the other employees.

I called them today and (politely) let them know no contract, no deal.

[quote=“beautifulspam”]

I called them today and (politely) let them know no contract, no deal.[/quote]

Well done.

I’ve been reading things like this on forumosa for about a year now. I am planning to go teach there some day and I think I have a pretty good knowledge of their BS.
I know its hard to stick up for yourself but you have to. I am always worried about offending people and being paranoid but it seems that in Taiwan you’re going to have to do that or you’ll be ripped off quickly.

Well, you can always blame your parents (of course you are a very filial son/daughter and honor your parents’ instruction to the letter):

Teacher: “Sure, I’d love to teach here.”
School: “Oh, wonderful. One thing: we need one week free demo.”
Teacher: “Oh…gosh, I really love your school, but I promised my mother I would never work without signing a contract. She has done so much for me, I really can’t go against her wishes.”
School: (probably doesn’t know quite what to say…if they tell you to offend Mom, run, don’t walk.) :smiley:

[quote=“ironlady”]Well, you can always blame your parents (of course you are a very filial son/daughter and honor your parents’ instruction to the letter):

Teacher: “Sure, I’d love to teach here.”
School: “Oh, wonderful. One thing: we need one week free demo.”
Teacher: “Oh…gosh, I really love your school, but I promised my mother I would never work without signing a contract. She has done so much for me, I really can’t go against her wishes.”
School: (probably doesn’t know quite what to say…if they tell you to offend Mom, run, don’t walk.) :smiley:[/quote]

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

[quote]I’ve been reading things like this on forumosa for about a year now. I am planning to go teach there some day and I think I have a pretty good knowledge of their BS.
I know its hard to stick up for yourself but you have to. I am always worried about offending people and being paranoid but it seems that in Taiwan you’re going to have to do that or you’ll be ripped off quickly.[/quote]

It’s good to be wary, but don’t make the mistake of always jumping to the worst possible conclusion. Sometimes it pays to trust a little and give the benefit of the doubt.

My first school seemed sketchy at first but it turned out they were just disorganized and lazy, though honest and generous to a fault. Literally to a fault. They’ve been going out of business for years beacuse they’re just too damn nice.

I won’t name names but young man, if you’re new in town…