AAS + Tefl

It seems I’m having trouble finding a job with just an AAS and Tefl cetificate, does anyone have any advice as to how I may get started or …do I not stand a chance? Please any help would be greatful. This may also not come as a surprise but my ethnic background is Hawaiian/Chinese, will this have any effect on applying for schools as well?

What’s an “AAS” exactly? A two-year degree and a TEFL certificate (neither online I believe) is supposed to be able to get you a work permit.

Your ethnic background will often have an effect on hiring. There’s a lot of discussion linked to here:

I thank you for your honesty, my AAS is an Associates in Applied Science e.g. Associates Degree in Computer Science with a Tefl Certificate. As for being chinese/hawaiian…I understand. thanks for the advice.

How many jobs have you applied for so far?

Roughly about 20-30 online and three walk-ins, although I believe applying during the chinese new year, wasn’t so smart. I should have done more research before hand. Since schools are back in session Tuesday I’m hoping to walk into more schools seeing that this may be my only advantage. I plan to go balls out on applying here in Taichung and if no luck Taipei. If no luck there I have to consider another country or move my ass back to Maui, which doesn’t so bad right now.

I’ve never had a lot of luck applying online. I have had to walk in for most jobs. If they are advertising online, go in and ask if they are hiring. Come prepared to do a demo right away.

I’ve got a demo to do on an adult night class next week. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice. My initial plan is to have a set of at least 3 lesson plans in place in case the school cannot provide teaching material. Do you suggest I provide a questionnaire before starting a lesson?

No questionnaires, and use one tried and tested lesson plan…the one which will interest the students and get them talking for as long as possible.

What do you guys think about an Associates in education and a CELTA? Would I stand a chance for a job?

Is it worth going to Taiwan without a job lined up and looking for a job on the street, while finishing up my BA in Education online? (though still at a brink and motor school) Or should I wait until I get my BA (keep in mind I really don’t want to wait that long) End of Summer I should have my AAS, then a month after that I would have my CELTA. Then a Semester at a four year university, then I was thinking of being in Taiwan in early 2012, but then I heard summer is the best time to look for a job, so MAYBE I could do one more Semester go to Taiwan in early Summer 2012 (ugh, it seems so far) and only have two semesters worth of classes to finish while in Taiwan (I am sure it will take me longer than that though).

So, yeah, what do you guys think? Either way I’m going to look for jobs online once I get my CELTA, but if none are forthcoming, should I take the considerable risk of coming to Taiwan without a job lined up and only an AA and CELTA?

@ TheAmericanNomad:

I would complete my BA first.

But that is like, 3 years from now, at least, I really don’t want to stay in the U.S. that long, is the situation that hopeless for me there?

No, not hopeless. You are able to get a work visa with an associate degree plus a CELTA, but there is a chance that some of the smaller schools won’t know how to go about processing it. The Ministry of Education in Taiwan tends not to recognise online certificates, so the BA you gain online won’t be worth much in Taiwan. In my opinion it would be best to complete your studies as Taiwan will still be here in 3 years. Your choice, though. You certainly can find teaching work if you choose to come here before completing your bachelor’s.

Well, its going to be at a REAL university, I’m going to go there, physically, for a semester, and then, take the rest of my classes as online classes, but my degree is going to be from a legitimate, brick and motor school, like Virginia Tech or William and Mary or somewhere like that. I am hoping I can take the classes that I can’t take online I can get done in a Semester (or at worst two) but I still have to talk to them about it, to find out exactly what classes they offer online now. (different colleges are different, though most all of them are putting more and more online classes in their curriculum)

So it wouldn’t be an “online certificate” but an actual degree from a brick and motor school. It would be no different than if I stayed here, and went to half of my classes online and half physically, or even if I went to all my classes physically. My degree isn’t going to say “He took some classes online” its just going to say “Bachelor of Education from Virginia Tech” (or wherever)

Either way, thanks for the information, it seems like you are saying I could find a job there.

:smiley:

Yes, you could find a teaching job. Be aware that it probably won’t be as easy, though.

Yep, it be better to have a BA first although I got in to a couple schools last week with just my AAS and a TEFL. It did seem harder the first couple weeks. I did online searching and walk-ins, your more likely to land something if you walk in as oppose to the online thing. Be prepared to do a demo if asked. Good luck!!