Abbvs in Taiwan

Nah, you can say something is a “good value,” and it’s understood that it means a good ratio of product quality to cost. That would be English. Introducing a dorky acronym into the mix is redundant and sounds like you learned English from an economics book.

CP 値 is not English.

3 Likes

The thing is, CP值 has long since broken its ties with the English language and become a fully Chinese expression. @tando beat me to it. Good thing this isn’t Pic Quiz. :grin:

2 Likes

It’s an acronym of English words that Taiwan thinks is a thing. This is a thread about weird English acronyms that are unique to Taiwan, no?

Thinking it’s a thing makes it a thing (at least in Taiwan) though, doesn’t it? Everybody is entitled to their pet peeves though, so I get it. Personally, I find APP much more annoying. Although it does keep them from pronouncing it “ape-poo” I guess.

1 Like

I, too, find APP to be annoying, which is why I mention it. I find it to be somehow more understandable than “CP value,” but I realize that’s largely subjective.

1 Like

Right, at some point, it is no longer ‘English’ and has become part of ‘Taiwanese Mandarin’ instead, the same way that people here use Taiwanese and Japanese words when speaking Mandarin without batting an eye.

2 Likes

“Ape poo” and “ay pee pee” is probably a tossup in the obnoxious pronunciation department.

Oh and if you hear someone say “ape out” it means happy hour but they couldn’t pronounce it correctly.

1 Like

It’s neither, but I’ll meet you halfway and call it Engrish.

That’s kind of like when people chant “uncle” because they want to hear another song at the end of a concert. This probably warrants its own thread, though.

2 Likes

In Germany they chant “zugabe” for encore but I don’t know what it means, sounds like it had to do with trains.

Would “O 不 OK” falls in the category of acronyms too?

1 Like

because it really just means encore. or “add more”. nothing to do with trains^^

1 Like

I haven’t heard it, but I love it. Reminds me of when I heard an American say (as a joke) “把它yeet掉”

1 Like

I once mentioned something regarding APP (ay-pee-pee) at an academic conference in North America. The looks of bewilderment made me realize that I was also going of this bastardization.