Abbvs in Taiwan

oooh mmt! I always wanted to go to one of those places, just so I can " :popcorn: "

Cashflow = 現金周轉

Cash Flow vs Income

Investors and business operators care deeply about CF because it’s the lifeblood of a company. You may be wondering, “How is CF different from what’s reported on a company’s income statement?” Income and profit are based on accrual accounting principles, which smooths-out expenditures and matches revenues to the timing of when products/services are delivered. Due to revenue recognition policies and the matching principle, a company’s net income, or net earnings, can actually be materially different from its Cash Flow.

Companies pay close attention to their CF and seek to manage it as carefully as possible. Professionals working in finance, accounting, and financial planning & analysis (FP&A) functions at a company spend significant time evaluating the flow of funds in the business and identifying potential problems.
SOURCE: Cash Flow - Definition, Examples, Types of Cash Flows (corporatefinanceinstitute.com)

The Difference Between Cash Flow and Profit (thebalancesmb.com)

Referenced from The “requirement” to buy property - Taiwan / Living in Taiwan - Forumosa

Cap Rate = Capitalization Rate 資本化率

The capitalization rate , often just called the cap rate , is the ratio of Net Operating Income (NOI) to property asset value. So, for example, if a property recently sold for $1,000,000 and had an NOI of $100,000, then the cap rate would be $100,000/$1,000,000, or 10%.
What You Should Know About The Cap Rate (propertymetrics.com)

Referenced

HIBOR+ = HK Interbank Offered Rate

The Hong Kong Interbank Offered Rate, known by its abbreviation HIBOR, is the benchmark interest rate, stated in Hong Kong dollars, for lending between banks within the Hong Kong market. The HIBOR is a reference rate for lenders and borrowers that participate directly or indirectly in the Asian economy

Referenced: The “requirement” to buy property - Taiwan / Living in Taiwan - Forumosa

ARM = Adjustable Rate Mortgage 可調利率抵押

An adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM) is a type of mortgage in which the interest rate applied on the outstanding balance varies throughout the life of the loan. With an adjustable-rate mortgage, the initial interest rate is fixed for a period of time. After this initial period of time, the interest rate resets periodically, at yearly or even monthly intervals. ARMs are also called variable-rate mortgages or floating mortgages
Adjustable-Rate Mortgage (ARM) Definition (investopedia.com)

References

PMP = Spanking a horse’s ass… from Chinese pai ma pi, it means to kiss someone’s ass.

ORZ= no idea what but seen it used.

炒飯 seems to be a euphemism for sex. but 炒魷魚 means “you’re fired”

A friend explained this to me as the (American) English version of ‘Netflix & Chill’.

I find it fascinating (and sometimes annoying/confusing) how many acronyms people use here. I personally think it’s due to a variety of linguistic reasons that people find it easier and more ‘natural’ to use an acronym than it is to translate it directly or to say it in English (or whatever the original language is). Some other examples I’ve picked up:

• LV = Louis Vutton (yes, this is of course used elsewhere, but the first time I heard someone say ‘ell-vee’ to reference it was in Taiwan)
  • MV = music video
  • CP = cost performance (I’ve also heard ‘cost parity’), basically how ‘worth it’ something is, comparing price to quality
  • GG = good game(s) (again, used elsewhere, but I heard someone say it out loud for the first time here - ‘我老闆說我要開始加班’ ‘乾,這樣就GG’)
  • PPT (pronounced pee-pee-tee)

I definitely have more that I’ve heard but can’t think of… Always a bit amusing the first time I hear someone say ‘這個MV很酷啊!’ and I have to ask what it means, the response is something like ‘這個不是英文嗎?你怎麼不知道??’

1 Like

The majority of these are initialisms.

A pedant writes…

2 Likes

Japanese.

2 Likes

Made me think of GGYY (for 嘰嘰歪歪).

WC = water closet, common in many English-speaking countries (UK and Commonwealth), so I don’t mind that one.

I really wish Taiwanese would stop trying to make “CP value” a thing, though. The word “value” on its own means the same thing.

It already is a thing, though. And I personally hear ‘CP’, almost never ‘CP value’ - if you scroll through shoppee reviews for almost anything, you’re bound to find comments that say ‘CP很高’ or something of that ilk. Can’t exactly stop 24 million people from using language how they please.

1 Like

I think CP just means cost/performance. This is why they never say “cp value”.

GG basically means it’s done. It really means good game but say if you have a piece of paper that is supposed to be water proof but it isn’t when you tried, you can say “as soon as the paper touched water it was GG”

1 Like

An English acronym that is primarily used by non-English speakers in one small country doesn’t meet my definition of being “a thing.” I see “CP value” regularly in Google reviews, which is the only reason I know it exists. Sorry, but it’s dumb.

Except they ALWAYS say CP value. There’s already a word for that in English. It’s value.

Okay, clearly seems like you’re particularly annoyed about this, for some reason. Good luck getting all 24 million Taiwanese to say it exactly the way you want.

1 Like

It’s one of the biggest frustration with working in retail. One merchandise can have 20 different names, both in mandarin or Taiwanese

And you won’t know what it is until you hear it.

Yep, or work-specific acronyms - My coworkers at my old job consistently shortened any name of a room, machine, procedure, etc. to an acronym (or I guess initialism, for the pedants out there) and I would constantly have to ask WTF they were talking about.

1 Like

I’m not trying to stop people from using it. Just saying that I wish they wouldn’t, because it’s dumb. I don’t think that’s an incorrect or controversial statement to make, but merely a fair observation.

Besides being redundant and poor English, there’s also the fact that it is usually used in a very cringeworthy, miserly, maybe even spectrum-y sort of context, as if getting more than you expect for your money is more important than the quality of the product or experience on its own. It’s a stupid concept to apply to things like reviews of bars and restaurants, which is where I see it used. It’s not a good reflection on the culture.

Those exist everywhere, to be fair— not Taiwan-specific like “CP value.”

What about spelling “app” in all caps and pronouncing it as if it’s an acronym. I wonder what they think it stands for?

1 Like

Value means a number that represents an amount. It might be a bit redundant to say a value of cost performance ratio, but what is wrong.

1 Like