Abortions in Taiwan

Yea, in other places they call the spirit “guilt”.

You mean they all join together, Voltron style??? :astonished:

That is SO AWESOME!!! :discodance:

Brought up this topic with a classmate of mine yesterday (can’t remember why) and she said ‘Oh yeah, there are heaps of abortions. Especially in September.’

Why September? Because that’s when school starts.

Just… yeah. She also told me about a schoolmate of hers who was 11 and had an abortion. Her boyfriend was 27. I corrected her and told her that he was her rapist, not her boyfriend, but… damn. 11. (I’m sure this isn’t common at all, the story just shocked me and I thought I might share).

GeezUS!!! :astonished: :loco: :noway:

I thought that shit only happened in Africa!

GeezUS!!! :astonished: :loco: :noway:

I thought that shit only happened in Africa![/quote]

I remember when I was in middle school and some of my classmates had boyfriends in their late 20’s, early 30’s. Don’t know about the abortion bit but there can’t have been nothing going on there. Those girls did turn out to have major, major issues a few years later, though (think carving shit into your leg with broken glass crying on the floor in the girl’s shower room-type issues)

Off topic for a moment but at first I thought I was still reading the “Where can I find…” section of the forums and was completely bewildered that it was being asked. But I finally realized I’m way more tired than I thought and noticed what part of the site I was on.

I’m not sure if it’s the same in Taiwan, I’m sure it’s at least less of an issue, but in Vietnam the buying of contraceptives was shameful. If you bought contraceptives than people knew you were having sex and it was shameful to do so you had to keep it quiet. And it was known that shopkeepers would also tell people and it could get back to families of what was going on. I even had a roommate that would take his trash personally to a dump site because of condoms in the trash would be found when people would dig through it and then they would start talking about him and his girlfriend.

My research with locals: Girls do not like to take pills, adults depend on condom use, teenagers account for most of the abortions due to lack of knowledge.

Our previous cleaning woman one time did not show up because she would be sick she said. Okay.
Next week she did not come without telling us in advance.
We phoned her agent and asked what is the matter. Agent said she had an abortion.

We fired her then and established the “Leave K-things alone”-rule.
Specifically: Hands of KLOPAPIER (loo-paper) and KINDER (children).

She also stole the loo-paper in that final phase.

[quote=“monokuro”][quote=“Mr He”]The figure is too high to make sense, 200,000 yes, but 500,000??? We have 12 million women on this island, 3/4 of which are not fertile due to age related issues, with 1/3 of the rest not being sexually active, that means that sexually active women of childbearing age on average get an abortion every 4 years.

Birth control pills are readily available here, and someone must be using the condoms for sale everywhere.[/quote]

For what it’s worth - every girl I’ve dated in Taiwan has had at least 1 abortion - and out of all my female friends in Japan, all have had at least 1, with the record being 7.[/quote]

You ASKED about this?

I’ve never had this conversation with a female. I consider it taboo. Neither have I gotten a gf pregnant - condomns are not optional with me. :discodance:

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”][quote=“monokuro”][quote=“Mr He”]The figure is too high to make sense, 200,000 yes, but 500,000??? We have 12 million women on this island, 3/4 of which are not fertile due to age related issues, with 1/3 of the rest not being sexually active, that means that sexually active women of childbearing age on average get an abortion every 4 years.

Birth control pills are readily available here, and someone must be using the condoms for sale everywhere.[/quote]

For what it’s worth - every girl I’ve dated in Taiwan has had at least 1 abortion - and out of all my female friends in Japan, all have had at least 1, with the record being 7.[/quote]

You ASKED about this?
[/quote]

I guess they tell you by themselves when they make off with the loo paper.

That would actually not be karma…karma has nothing to do with dead spirits. (btw karma=buddhism)

It would come from Chinese folk religion, which is OBSESSED with dead spirits, ghosts, gods, etc. (ghosts=Chinese folk religion)

All those people sweeping tombs and burning paper money so their papa and meemaw can pay rent in the afterlife? They aren’t doing that based on Buddhist teachings but on Chinese folk religion. (yah, some people sorta mix them, but those are the uneducated masses)

It may look all the same to someone who doesn’t know the difference, but to many of them (ie Taiwanese people), Jesus, Muhammad and Moses were all the same as well.

Just wanted to clarify…

That would actually not be karma…karma has nothing to do with dead spirits. (btw karma=buddhism)

It would come from Chinese folk religion, which is OBSESSED with dead spirits, ghosts, gods, etc. (ghosts=Chinese folk religion)

All those people sweeping tombs and burning paper money so their papa and meemaw can pay rent in the afterlife? They aren’t doing that based on Buddhist teachings but on Chinese folk religion. (yah, some people sorta mix them, but those are the uneducated masses)

It may look all the same to someone who doesn’t know the difference, but to many of them (ie Taiwanese people), Jesus, Muhammad and Moses were all the same as well.

Just wanted to clarify…[/quote]

Some time last year in Yonghe I saw one of those jumbled-up religious parades carrying a statue of the Virgin Mary. It could have been Mazu (?) but I swear it looked like Mary. I wish I had taken a picture.

Just wanted to clarify…[/quote]

Some time last year in Yonghe I saw one of those jumbled-up religious parades carrying a statue of the Virgin Mary. It could have been Mazu (?) but I swear it looked like Mary. I wish I had taken a picture.[/quote]
Mary, Matzu, Isis, it’s all the fucking same. :2cents:

Bumping this up for 2019’s sake.

Unfortunately I find myself in this same situation. We (my partner and myself) went to Dianthus last night to confirm things. When asked about the availability of abortion pills the doctor responded that it was the clinic’s policy to to require a certificate of non-impediment to marriage to guarantee the female is single to go through with this. The problem is we are both foreign nationals and our respective governments do not issue such certificates. At another time I’d laugh about this form of Taiwanese bureaucratic coercion but now is not the time.

So, I pose this to you, Forumosa:

1. Any clinics that do not have such a requirement? We are very much foreign nationals: two people, two passports. There’s no household registration office to pull this data from.

2. In the alternative, has anyone had any luck preparing a sworn affidavit? Would this be understood by all parties or cause a mental buffer overflow?

AFAIK in Taiwan to get an abortion or to get sterilized you need permission from your partner if you are married or proof that you are not married.

So number 2 it is.

Have a look at marriage threads from your countryman since marriage also requires ‘proof of being single’. Often it is a notarized sworn affidavit.

1 Like

Try another clinic. Some don’t have that policy.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Covid-19 Research Thread:

FYI

綠黨委託山水民調於10月28至29日晚間進行, 調查結果顯示,針對八周內需墮胎的議題[added: 宗教團體提懷孕滿8周禁墮胎公投案],有8.4%非常贊成、27.6%還算贊成,贊成的比例為36%,43.7%的民眾則不認同這個做法,贊成與不贊成的差距約為7.7%。

The quoted text really doesn’t meany anything without context.

Also believing something is correct or moral because a majority believe the same thing is giving into groupthink. It’s what weak minds do to rationalize their behavior.

Abortion is a topic that should be taken seriously. Unfortunately it is done here without a second thought. Women having abortions left and right for any reason or no reason at all as they wish. But just like mental health issue, Taiwan doesn’t talk openly about abortion because it is not a nice topic. 丟臉 much?

4 Likes

One thing that surprised me here is how high the pregnancy stigma is. My understanding is pregnant students have to dis-enroll from school, or some such thing. I’ve also been surprised that many people I meet are generally opposed to abortion (‘it’s bad’) but also see it as necessary.