Academy Awards thread 2023

Imagine someone telling you 5 years ago the Short Round actor would win an Oscar. Well, congrats to him! He just got one for Best Supporting Actor.

What’s the over-under on something as dramatic and entertaining as “the slap” happening this year?

2 Likes

Go Banshees, but it looks like Everything… has a lock on most awards. Distant relation of mine has been nominated. Not the donkey.
And Barry Keoghan said he will get three oscars in future not tonight though.

1 Like

I haven’t seen it. It sounded good when it came out, but I didn’t hear “best of the year” hype at the time tbh. Is it just a weak year, or is the Academy thinking outside the box a bit?

I though Banshees was watchable but not best movie material. A bit Oirishy. BUT the story was quite original and thoughful. Not seen the others. According to surveys aa members haven’t seen all the films either.

Sorry, I meant Everything…

1 Like

Pressure on them to give minorities awards but the black lady didnt get it.

1 Like

Lots more Asian presenters, nominees, and so far winners.
Looks like the academy has an agenda, not that it never has had one.

Maybe some would argue everything isnt a oscar worthy movie but i think its time Michelle Yeoh gets an award. she deserves it.

I’m really happy for Michelle Yeoh and Short Round… but to have it sweep does seem like it’s either pandering or a really weak year. The fact the mediocre Avatar sequel is also up for BP is just yeesh…

Probably should’ve just gone with Maverick on this one. Top Gun sequel is the only film from that list that people couldn’t stop talking about when it was released.

1 Like

Im just after discovering that guy who won the oscar was the Asian kid in the goonies and Indiana Jones.
I’m a slow learner.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a year for comebacks of forgotten actors. Him and Brendan Fraser for ‘The Whale’, too.

1 Like

Jamie Lee Curtis same really…

I guess you could include Michelle Yeoh too then. Kinda.

There’s “oh, I’m glad they’re still getting work” forgotten, and “wait… that person is still alive??” forgotten. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Michelle Yeoh won as did her film for best picture.
This year of Oscars goes to the Asians of Hollywood.

Just like 3 years ago with Parasite.

It’s unfortunate that Banshees got blanked as Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and especially Kerry Condon kneecap all the other nominees in their their respective category. The Irish gang this year are all incredible. Paul Mescal is my new favourite person. I find EEAAO quite overpraised but I’m happy for Michelle Yeoh for being the second WOC winner in the category.

I’m glad that All Quiet dominated the tech categories too. It was made with 20 million which is a fucking miracle. If this was made in Hollywood the budget would’ve been 200 million and wouldn’t have been half as good.

2 Likes

Holy shit i just saw this. Who is it?

If minorities don’t win, the Academy is racist.

If minorities win, the Academy is pandering and being “woke.”

Can’t win these days.

I’ll just be happy for EEAAO because it was a thoroughly entertaining and thought provoking film (even though my girl Stephanie Hsu didn’t win).

3 Likes

Speaking of EEAAO, funnily enough, when Ke Huy Quan couldn’t get work in Hollywood after he did Indiana Jones and Goonies, he got some acting gigs in Taiwan lmao.

He was on this show :rofl:

3 Likes

2 Likes