Acquiring aboriginal land

You sure about the number 10 acre, that would be about 12,000 ping? Most of the properties I seen were around 4,000 ping, and many of the properties I seen advertised are around 1,500-2,000 ping. So, 12,000 would be quite massive(and expensive)

Sorry, 10 acres is in New Zealand where land is very cheap. I guess in Taiwan weā€™re talking mini-lifestyle blocks, big enough for a lawn and a flower garden and a few trees.

10 acres anywhere in Taiwan would be a ridiculous amount of money.

Even 4000 ping is really big money in Miaoli.

My in laws have land in miaoli they sold a hill side to 'lifestyle developers ā€™ a few years ago who built some overpriced cabins to sell to others. They sold at a ridiculously low price of around 1 million NT but people are wiser now. They still own a whole mountain though which I always find kind of hilarious as they are not really rich but if the mountain was closer to any city or if they lopped the top off of it they would be! (Thankfully EPA stopped the illegal mining there ā€¦).
The mountain is probably owned by ten individuals Iā€™m really not sure how it works.

Plenty of money in Taiwan anyway because of all the cashed up owners of concrete boxes in the cities.

Most of the hilly land is owned by Hakka families, often multiple owners as well as they inherited it from granddad.

Miaoli hillsides are still quite natural and not overdeveloped , yet.

I think what he means to say is, technically legal but good luck :wink:

Itā€™s a wise decision to buy land you own, really is. Although aboriginal land might be cheap, few hundred k per fen, you donā€™t own it and will lose it. FYI. Land sizes here are roughly 4 fen to an acre and almost 11 fen per hectare. 10 fen to 1 jia. Just in case it wasnā€™t clear.

But also be aware of landslides, soil erosion etc. Taiwan has it had, so itā€™s worth paying attention to geography, roads and logging/zoning types of the surround.

A foot hill would be wise. Plus land deemed mountain land has a shit tonne more rules than the plains. Cutting trees, digging, building etc are all essentially not allowed without permission. Cutting trees is easier, but digging without permission or good connections can be bad news in many areas. So if youā€™re thinking of building that little cabin like all the other weekend warriors, be prepared for police and excavators showing up one day. The times are changing and they are starting to care/do their jobs now. I suspect up north Korea than down south.

yeah, thereā€™s some stunning land in Miaoli. I had great fun exploring the area on bike when I lived in Baoshan.

I know parts of Miaoli very well , there are many small beautiful valleys in the foothills . Itā€™s really very quiet though . Thatā€™s a good thing overall but I think could be a bit lonely for some. Hakka people are nice but also not outgoing.
Unfortunately Miaoli city is also crap.

Yes, I have dropped the idea of the aboriginal land.

I work from home, so the plan would be to spend half the time in Taipei and half at the mountain cabin, hence I want something nice with all the amenities I got in Taipei.

But, I wont spend a few million building a house(plus whatever I paid for the land)if I do not feel secure about the land.

I will go and have a look at some non-aboriginal land in Miaoli in a couple of weeks, so we will see.

Ha, no one cares about that, until they have a :poop: problem.

[slightly edited by mod]

Exactly so lots care now. Donā€™t underestimate jealousy, pettiness and the swift action due to phine calls. Thatā€™s why I mentioned itā€™s not like 30 years ago, people do care now and thatā€™s a good thing. If even shit holes like pingdong care and tear down little cabins in remote areas, I suspect itā€™s on a far larger scale up north.

All the illegal campsites have created controversy and the govt has them on their radar now also.

Indeed. In my opinion, the way Taiwan is going (which is overall a very good direction in this case) it is VERY important to cross your ts and dot your i s. Sure itā€™s fine now, was before. But there are actually laws, even before, just not enforced. As people become educated and the nation continues to decline things like this will be targeted more and more. So have everything done right, on paper, and government stamped. If there is a problem, the finger, preferably the middle one, gets pointed at the authorities if they messed up.

The days of just build then pay fines later and get the paperwork are pretty much gone. As are many of the mountains ironically.