Acronym needed for foreign losers in Taiwan

Spack, I think you’ve touched a nerve.

My definition of a loser in Taiwan is not so much profession or time of stay in Taiwan, but their attitude while they’re here. Expecting everyone ‘should’ speak English (even though we’re in Taiwan!!), and if they someone can’t speak it well, it’s almost like they’re less worthy. Not bothering to learn/appreciate/respect the society and people (my friend’s old coworkers used to have one ‘non-Chinese’ day a week, in which they’d all get together, no Chinese was allowed, no Chinese friends could come, and would only cook Western food). Looking at women as objects. Not behaving themselves even though they are guests in a foreign country and represent ‘foreigners’ to most Chinese, as most have never met very many before (giving us all a bad rep… :imp: ).
This list could go on. But I think most people agree its not profession, or future plans or whatever; its your attitude.

ooo, intelligent, thoughtful comments - that’s such a novelty, in this thread anyway!
It might catch on, but I doubt it.

Why do you have to respect the local “culture” whatever that is? Plenty of stuff not to respect… Met plenty of “losers” who were wide-eyed in awe of everything Chinese… even when Chinese attitudes were clearly conservative and parochial…

Foreign undesirable chasing kinky women in Taiwan

[quote=“Anonymous”]Why do you have to respect the local “culture” whatever that is? Plenty of stuff not to respect… Met plenty of “losers” who were wide-eyed in awe of everything Chinese… even when Chinese attitudes were clearly conservative and parochial…

Foreign undesirable chasing kinky women in Taiwan[/quote]

Exhibit A.

I agree with some “losers” being superficially infatuated with the culture. But then there are others who believe the culture/society here has no redeeming value, and may not even be considered culture. Such as ‘Guest’ here.

Oh Great Lord Spack, don’t act so superior (ooooh intelligent comments, what a novelty). For five pages of this stupid thread, a dozen people have asked you to define Loser and you have steadfastly refused, insisting that we all know one when we see one. An equal number have asked what are your credentials that qualify you to be the great definer of loser and what is it that excludes you from that definition. Again, you have steadfastly refused to answer (until you finally confessed on page 4 that you are indeed a Loser).

If you really think there is any merit to this discussion and it is not simply a desire to arbitrarily, subjectively insult those who displease you, then I will repeat the same questions that you have consistently refused to answer:

1. How do you define loser?
  2. What qualifies you to decide who is a loser and why is it that you fall outside of that definition, if that is the case?

Thank you for the courtesy of your response.

Gao Li Tsai

1. I wrote something about that on the first page of this thread, as follows:

"I figured it would come down to requiring a definition. That is why I said at the outset that you know a loser when u see one. We could get bogged down for about 12 pages before we even get close to a definition. Besides, that is not the purpose of my orginal post.

Everyone has their own definition and criteria for what constitutes a loser.

My own personal notion (as opposed to definition which can easily be picked apart) of a FLIT is a ne’er do well who is happy just pissing his life away with no purpose, earning only just enough to support a pathetic existence. FLITs only care about themselves, never have any meaningful relationships, and have been fired from numerous companies/schools because they just can’t handle even the slightest level of responsibility."

1. I don’t meet the criteria of a loser according to my own personal notion of a loser, described above, but no doubt I am a loser according to other people’s definition.

Actually, prefer underachiever (from someone else’s post), so:

Foreign underachiever chasing kinky women in Taiwan

Littleiron, you jumped the gun…

“Culture” is in inverted commas because I am not sure what defines any country’s “culture.” Quite often, what people see as being specific to their own “culture” or 'identity" (another overused word) is identical to what others think makes them special, too. At other times, “culture” is just an excuse for exclusionism/nationalism/racism…

Spack appears to be one of the few people on this forum with a sense of humour. Don’t let the mongrels get you down, mate.

And as for all the sad people who are squabbling about the definition of loser.

Congratulations! I think you found it.

SPACK: “My own personal notion . . . is a ne’er do well who is happy just pissing his life away with no purpose, earning only just enough to support a pathetic existence. FLITs only care about themselves, never have any meaningful relationships, and have been fired from numerous companies/schools because they just can’t handle even the slightest level of responsibility.”

Obviously, all of the above criteria are based solely on your biased, subjective opinions, speculation, conjecture and prejudices and reflect more upon yourself than those you define. But your admission that many may deem you a loser is a good start.

Can we now delete this whole stupid thread or flush it down the toilet or something?

Sciolist Penguin Aeolist Criticaster Knave

Superfluous egotistical gormless underachieving expats.

Lame brains.

Gao Li Tsai
Just before you flush the toilet, Gao Li Tsai, would u mind first responding to these points?:

1. The definition of a loser, if we really must have one, (remember that I didn’t want one right from the first post) is always going to be subjective and based on personal experience.

2. Of course my opinion/notion/definition/whatever is based on my own experience because there simply are no objective criteria for evaluating a loser in Taiwan.

3. I am curious as to why you are so irked that I am trying to think of an acronym for FLITs. It’s because u think I shouldn’t consider myself better than a loser, right? Well, so what if I think I am better than a loser (as I have defined him)? Doesn’t everybody? Don’t you?

Hey, ya’ll lighten the fuck up! Nothing racist or sexist or classist in this thread… I am a fucking loser, after all I am stuck on this hell hole of an island… aren’t you…?? Look at me for cristsakes, I am only a “Cai Niao”!

Call me a flit, a fart, a toad, a troll.

Smoke another doobie dudes, relax and go with the flow… and more importantly if the shoe fits… dude, you have 2 choices, wear it, or go barefoot :sunglasses:

Would the moderating moderator read hearbie’s his rights again.
I don’t tolerate such profanities in excess of expletives:)

I’d rather we speak with decorum and remember the netiquette.
I know the so-called counterlocutor will storm back with flaming objection. But I just can’t help seeing all this expletives floating around in segue.

segue,

anton xie

[quote=“antonxie”]Would the moderating moderator read hearbie’s his rights again.
I don’t tolerate such profanities in excess of expletives:)
[/quote]

Lighten up
What do you expect in a thread with the inane subject “Acronym needed for foreign losers…” It is not meant to be taken that seriously. Herbie did not seem offensive; he was just using f*cking (to protect myself from the wrath of the prudes) to emphasize his point. This to me seems a standard usage it many people’s colloquial English. Anyway, there were no words used that I and just about every 10 year old on the planet have not heard before.

Sorry, man. Nothing worthy of a mod’s attention here. Herbie said it best:[quote=“Herbie”]Hey, ya’ll lighten the BLEEP up! …Smoke another doobie dudes, relax and go with the flow… 8-)[/quote]

Would the moderator get rid of Mr Xie’s post on account of the fact that its boring?