Acrylamide and arsenic in local fried fast food

This news story came out today, reporting that the arsenic levels in fried fast foods at local chain restaurants were nine to eleven times higher than allowed:

連鎖速食炸油檢出重金屬「砷」 超標9到11倍
央廣 更新日期:“2009/07/07 19:45” 張嘉芳

Of seven restaurants chosen for inspection, all seven were found to have acrylamide in their food (these included McDonald’s and Domino’s), and even arsenic was found, in levels exceeding permissible standards by 9 to 11 times. (I stopped reading there. Someone else can fill others in on the rest if they want.)

台北縣政府法制局7日公布連鎖速食業者的油品檢測報告,被抽檢的7家速食店全都被驗出「丙烯醯胺」,部分業者包括麥當勞與達美樂,甚至還發現含有重金屬「砷」殘留,而且超過標準值9倍到11倍,恐怕會引起膀胱、皮膚與肝、肺等癌症,造成免疫失調。

消保官日前抽檢台北縣7家知名連鎖速食業者,包括麥當勞、達美樂、拿坡里與肯德基共7家分店,結果所有業者都被檢出「丙烯醯胺」。台北縣政府法制局局長陳坤榮說:『(原音)丙烯醯胺都有被檢測出來有數據,但是目前國家的標準裡面並沒有規範,但是我們認為這種物質對人體本身不是一個很好的物質。』

除了丙烯醯胺以外,麥當勞與達美樂還被檢出含有重金屬「砷」,其中達美樂的砷含量更是標準值的11倍;2家麥當勞分店的油品中,砷含量也超過標準值9倍及10倍,民眾一旦吃下肚,恐怕會對人體造成傷害。消基會秘書長吳家誠說:『(原音)只要溫度超過120度,裡面有一些澱粉、有一些蛋白質的東西,丙烯醯胺就會產生,本身就有致癌性。砷這個東西不可以出現在我們的油裡面,也不應該出現在我們的食物裡面,(造成)後續末稍神經的破壞。』

對於速食業者被檢出砷含量超標,衛生署食品衛生處簡任技正許景鑫表示,衛生署對於食用油規範重金屬的最大容許量,砷為0.1ppm(parts per million,百萬分之一的濃度)、銅為0.4ppm、汞則是0.05ppm、鉛為0.1ppm,業者檢出的砷含量實在太高。許景鑫說,這不太可能是鍋具及食物所引起,應該是食用油本身有問題,目前衛生署已經要求衛生局採檢業者未使用過的食用油檢驗,一旦確認砷含量超標,將對業者處以新台幣6萬到30萬元罰款。

林口長庚醫院臨床毒物科主任林杰樑則指出,無機砷的毒性相當強,是人類確定致癌物,恐怕會引起膀胱癌、皮膚癌、肝癌及肺癌等,同時也會抑制免疫力,造成人體免疫失調。不過,林杰樑也說,部分廠商使用濾油粉「合成矽酸鎂」過濾油脂,濾油粉過去在工業上主要用來除色與脫臭,一旦廠商使用非食品級的濾油粉,不排除遭砷污染,他建議衛生單位應一併檢測。

English article here:
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003448521

Is there a good recipe for arsenic? I’m sure it’s better if you make it yourself.

I don’t know, but my acrylamide is to die for! :discodance:

Reminds me too much of:
http://taiwanjournal.nat.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=46333&CtNode=430

But DOH says it’s fine, because only a few outlets were affected. Problem is: where does teh oil cme from? How can it become contaminated by arsenic?

The main supplier claims Mc D is using other “suppliers”. Are they buying off the black market or is this framing by the competition?

[quote]McDonald’s spokesman Tsao Chang-chieh (曹昌傑) questioned the validity of the tests conducted by the Taipei County Government Bureau of Health. He said the same oil that tested positive for arsenic was sent to a lab at SGS Taiwan for tests and that the results were entirely different.

“SGS Taiwan approved our oil. We have faith in ourselves and will continue operations,” Tsao said.

Tsao said that all McDonald’s branches used the same oil from the same manufacturer and that it was tested regularly.
[/quote]
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2009/07/09/2003448223
Ahhhh… :ponder:

Forget arsenic. What about old lace?

You can just chew on some LED diodes for cheap doses.

It occurs naturally, doesn’t it? In oils. Wheat and olives contain small amounts. Fish is full of it, too. Or is that because of contamination from groundwater?

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I’m talking about: I just remember reading it somewhere … :cactus:

It smells like a good old-fashioned Chinese scam to me. Ask Rio Tinto right now how they feel about dealing with the Chinese.

The big fail: Arsenic is an essential micronutrient for animals. We normally get all we need from water.

Hope you guys enjoyed Mister Donut. Caught twice. Plus one of teh oldest and more venerable pai ku -pork chop- places in town. :frowning:

There’s arsenic in my mechanically recovered offal, sugar, salt, and plasticised glyceride burger!!! OH NO!!! :runaway:

Don’t forget fly poop.

Just to spice things up a bit:

-the inspector that broke the case against McD has received serious death threats. Currently under protection.

-the prosecutors have brought charges against the managers of the McD’s and Domono’s of the locations where they found arsenic. Same with their general managers. Big papara… ehem excuse me, reporter mayhem at the site of the indictment.

-inspections and evaluations will continue, so expect more fun to come…

My imperfect understanding is that acrylomides are created when heat is applied to cooking oils - it is what makes fried food so dad-gum bad for you. (A primary reason you don’t want to fry with olive oil, or even heat olive oil too much as it converts to acrylomides relatively easily…?) Of course they are in abundance at fast food outlets, but I doubt a test for them in uncooked food inputs is meaningful - you would need to test finished product, and results would vary depending on the temperature of the heat used, and the type of oil. Don’t even bother testing those street vendors selling chicken deep fried in palm oil. Put it on a stick and you have an Acrylomidcicle. Yum!

Of course the big issue is that nobody trusts the authorities. It could just be an old fashioned shake-down. Health department looking for some payola. With all the recent food scares, I wouldn’t be surprised to learn there is a racket in operation at the health department.

Anyway, people stupid enough to eat excessive amounts of fast food deserve to die a horrible death.

So Mc D lost 10% of business because of this “scandal”, so they promptly come up with a Hello Kitty sale!! :loco: :raspberry:

Yes, my friends, they hope to repeat the Hello Kitty madness of ten years ago. :astonished:

Seems to me they eat way too much of their own products.