ADD/ADHD meds in Taiwan

Back in the states I was on a drug called Adderall to help with ADD. Does anyone know if this is available in Taiwan and if so, how I go about getting it?

Check out the Shanghai Pharmacy on HengYang by 228 Peace Park.
You could also make a Dr.'s appointment… :idunno:

[quote=“bushibanned”]Check out the Shanghai Pharmacy on HengYang by 228 Peace Park.
You could also make a Dr.'s appointment… :idunno:[/quote]

Can you just walk in and get it at the pharmacy? How strict are doctors about perscribing this here? Gawd, I don’t want to sit through three hours of evaluations just to have them reach the same conclusion my doctors back home reached years ago. :loco:

[quote=“trebuchet”][quote=“bushibanned”]Check out the Shanghai Pharmacy on HengYang by 228 Peace Park.
You could also make a Dr.'s appointment… :idunno:[/quote]

Can you just walk in and get it at the pharmacy? How strict are doctors about perscribing this here? Gawd, I don’t want to sit through three hours of evaluations just to have them reach the same conclusion my doctors back home reached years ago. :loco:[/quote]

Here’s what makes Taiwan really great. No joke. Yes you can go to Shanghai Pharmacy and ask for Nina(i think is her name). She is fluent in English, very kind, cute, and very very knowledgable about current drugs.

If you go to the hospital, you’ll be evaluated or just tell them what your doctors had you on in the states and they will ask question, but more than likely they will fill your prescription. Check out the doctors at NTU hospitial.

I have found the doctors here very willing to help and enable you to get what you need. In fact, it was here that I was able to get the correct meds for my depression. None of the crap you have to go thru in the States.

If anything, living here has shown me how much a benefit National health care can be.

Best of luck. If you need help pm me and I’ll see what I can do for ya :rainbow:

—The mods, felt the need to change this post, But if you do go to Shanghai pharmacy, you WILL be able to get assistance.

1 Like

Do you think they will believe me if I tell them that I have a student that REALLY needs some medication for ADHD but his parents won’t admit/accept that he has a problem … really I’m not kidding!

… and the sad thing is that the above is true in my one specific case and in general in Taiwan.

teggs

P.s. Apologies to the OP for wandering off the topic of the thread

[quote=“teggs”]Do you think they will believe me if I tell them that I have a student that REALLY needs some medication for ADHD but his parents won’t admit/accept that he has a problem … really I’m not kidding!
[/quote]

I have several students who have ADD and ADHD. But that it is not my place to dictate to a parent what their children need.

In Taiwan, parents are very concerned with face when it comes to their children, and especially this situation. I have seen articles here in the newspapers about ADD/HD but until it’s socially accepted, the best thing to do is to educate yourself about how to manage the child in class, and teach the kid(s) methods that would enable them to learn better. Empower them, and the parents may come around and see the light. But otherwise, do not involve yourself on such a level.

Yes I’ve heard that the ADD medicine is very expensive in the USA. How about the pricing here? Hard to believe that kids need to be on drugs to behave properly. What did they do when we were all kids because in my generation they never gave kids behaviour drugs like they do today.

Yay bumping a year old thread.

Anyways I went to my dr. asked for what i’ve had before and he opted to give me something different i’m not exactly sure why.

Does anyone in Kaohsiung know of a pharmacy I can go to and pick up Adderall? I guess I could go and try another doctor but would rather just go in and pick it up myself.

Hopefully some people from k-town actually read this thing!

Please don’t bring the ritalin ADD/ADHD scam to Taiwan.

Adderall is not available in Taiwan. Only Ritalin. And it’s a restricted and NOT available in the pharmacies. You will need a prescription from a Psychiatrist. Internal Medicine Dr’s won’t give it to you.

Adderall is not available in Taiwan. Only Ritalin. And it’s a restricted and NOT available in the pharmacies. You will need a prescription from a Psychiatrist. Internal Medicine Dr’s won’t give it to you.

Which scam is that?

Edit:

If they are only available at such places, does anyone know of a location in Kaohsiung where one can go and get tested/talk to a psychiatrist?

Go to any major hospital and make an appointment for:
精神科

jing2shen2ke

They aren’t going to test you like they would at home. It’s pretty much unheard of to have ADD meds prescribed to adults in this country… most dr’s think it’s a kid’s illness that you can out-grow. If i were you I’d get a letter from you Dr. at home or just tell them what you take and why and you need more.

Any idea what the law is on bringing adderall / ritalin into the country? If I could get my family to pick up my prescription and mail it that would work as well.

I can tell you that ones diet plays a huge role in this problem. I wasn’t aware that Ritalin wasn’t being used by adults, not for it’s intended purpose anyway. I doubt you would get those drugs in the mail. Both of my nephews had this problem and had a terrible diet. When the pills were taken they would go into a zombie like state. When we tried adjusting their diet, the highs and lows were minimized. I’m not suggesting diet is the cause but a huge contributor.

I can tell you that ones diet plays a huge role in this problem. I wasn’t aware that Ritalin wasn’t being used by adults, not for it’s intended purpose anyway. I doubt you would get those drugs in the mail. Both of my nephews had this problem and had a terrible diet. When the pills were taken they would go into a zombie like state. When we tried adjusting their diet, the highs and lows were minimized. I’m not suggesting diet is the cause but a huge contributor.

Hi, I suspect I have ADD, how easy is it to get a diagnosis for it in Taiwan, (I am 22 with all the relevant evidence)

Well if you’re in Taichung, I can suggest Cheng-ching 澄清醫院 near Tunghai University 東海大學. I have pretty visible signs of it at 25.

If you want any more info, please PM.

So has anyone been able to get Adderall in Taiwan? Is it true that amphetamine-based medications are illegal, while methylphenidate-based medications aren’t? (As if that makes any sense…) And if methylphenidate doesn’t work for you, you’re just SOL? That’s how it would seem to be in South Korea, where I am now.

I’m shocked that in these wealthy industrialized countries, it’s not only impossible but illegal for me to get adequate medical care. I guess I shouldn’t expect much more from countries where you can get a degree in traditional Chinese chi-magic at medical schools, as if it were a legitimate alternative to real medicine. Is this how it is everywhere in Asia? Psychiatry isn’t available because being “crazy” is shameful, so they deal with their problems by binge drinking and jumping off tall buildings or cliffs instead?

Please let me know if you know anything about getting Adderall in Taiwan, or if you know of any country that is good for teaching EFL, where modern medicine IS available.

So frustrating! :fume:

[quote=“thegoat”]

If they are only available at such places, does anyone know of a location in Kaohsiung where one can go and get tested/talk to a psychiatrist?[/quote]

There used to be a pyschiatrist on YuChen Road. I have no idea as to their physical address. (Besides them being on YuChen Road) Head East on Yuchen Road from Smokey Joes (Ie… towards Mintzu Road). It will be on your left… about two blocks from Smokey Joes. If you hit the canal, you have gone too far.

Good luck.
:slight_smile: