Advantages & disadvantages of naturalization

The biggest obligation is military service (if you are a military-age male).

As Dr_Milker mentioned, military service ( based on ur age). If you have a third world country passport, Taiwan passport will give a lot of advantage. For instance, you can travel ( tourist) to many developed countries without visa. However, if you have a developed country passport, I do not see any advantage in Taiwan passport (my personal opinion).

What she the screening method the government uses to follow this up? I mean one may be a may below 32yo and never bother to go present himself after getting citizenship.

Not sure how this works, but I’m pretty sure they’ll know. Maybe one of our posters with personal experience in the matter can respond?

1 Like

Biggest advantage to being a Taiwan national is that you can live, work and retire in Mainland China with relative ease if you so desire to. For any other nationality, it’s a pain in the ass to get a work visa, and often impossible to retire in the country legally.

Second biggest advantage is not being treated like a foreigner on paper when opening bank accounts, getting mortgages and applying for special deals that usually don’t include foreigners. However, when dealing with real people, there will obviously still be some discrimination depending on your ethnicity. I’m going through the process right now, and am looking forward to getting a mortgage and taking vacations to the mainland without stopping in Hong Kong on the way to apply for a tourist visa.

I can’t speak for the process of naturalisation from a plumb blossom APRC, but from a marriage ARC, you do still need to renounce your original citizenship (but only after your application to naturalise has been approved). Some nationalities, like British and Australian can regain their original citizenship back after renunciation by paying a small fee, meaning they can have both Taiwan and British or Australian nationality at the same time.

2 Likes

Doesn’t that still suck then?

Depends where you are from.

Some nationalities, like British and Australian can regain their original citizenship back after renunciation by paying a small fee, meaning they can have both Taiwan and British or Australian nationality at the same time. I’m British, so I should be able to maintain both after a bit of paperwork.

I think we get BTFO being Canadian. :sob:

Sorry, what’s BTFO?

EDIT: Oh, blown the :banana: out.

1 Like

We get screwed. I think you have to give up your Canadian citizenship.

Sucks, I personally think Taiwan will one day change the rule, so there’s still hope for you yet.

Same for us Yanks…er, Americans.

1 Like

My wife has her Canadian citizenship now. It pisses me off that it doesn’t go both ways.

I could always give up my Canadian citizenship and seek refugee status in Quebec. :grin:

1 Like

Well, you could renounce and then get her to sponsor you as a foreign spouse if you ever want to live in Canada again.

1 Like

That makes me too angry to think about…

2 Likes

I was bustin the balls of this dude working at the NIA and him and his coworkers seemed to think that it will happen someday.

They were embarrassed that it worked that way.

1 Like

Don’t count on that. At least a year ago the law was that a naturalized citizen loses their Taiwan citizenship if they voluntarily accepts any other citizenship. (I doubt this was enforced.)

The Nationality Act ( https://www.moi.gov.tw/english/english_law/law_detail.aspx?sn=391 ), which is full of the various ways to gain and lose nationality, does not have anything along those lines in it. Is it possible you might be thinking of something different (eg rules for PRC nationals)?

1 Like

I doubt this is true, I actually first heard about the ability to regain your renounced British citizenship from an NIA officer, and he seemed to think it was a perfectly fine thing to do, he recommended it.

1 Like

They only want super duper foreigners to naturalize to be able to keep their own citizenship