APRC - Plum Blossom Card

Here are some English-language articles on the newly streamlined path to citizenship for Plum Blossom APRC holders, first from CNA:

A few more details were added to the Taipei Times version:


Hey Guys, Is there any update on APRC plum blossom card holders’ Spouse visa? I heard that APRC PBC card holders’ spouses are eligible to apply for APRC as well, but I do not have any valid link to verify this. Anyone?

Thank you.

I do not have a spouse, so I have not inquired about this.

Since there are currently so few of us in Taiwan, I think the best plan of action would be to make an appointment with the Plum Blossom specialist at your local NIA office (or the office to which you applied). When you find out what’s the current situation, let us know!


Article 15 of Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals

OK. So we have these terms used in the Act:

Terms used in this Act are defined as follows:

  1. “Foreign professional” means a foreign national engaging in professional work in the State.
  2. “Foreign special professional” means a foreign professional as referred to in the preceding paragraph who possesses special expertise needed by the State in science & technology, the economy, education, culture, the arts, sports and other fields, as announced by the relevant central competent authority.
  3. “Foreign senior professional” means a senior professional needed by the State as prescribed in Article 25 Paragraph 3 Subparagraph 2 of the Immigration Act.

Are Plum Blossom holders considered to be “foreign professionals,” or “foreign special professionals,” or “foreign senior professionals”?


As best I can tell: Foreign Senior Professionals.

Is it possible to change from a normal APRC to a Plum Blossom?

I have not heard of anyone doing so.

If you think you qualify, then make an appointment with the Plum Blossom specialist at your local NIA office. I suspect they will laugh and say you already have residence rights, so why would you do that? But you could still ask.


Why on earth would you want to do that?

Major difference is that with the normal APRC you need to remain in Taiwan for at least 183 days per year, while on the APRC plum blossom you have exactly the same rights as a normal APRC plus the benefit of not being required to stay 183 days/year, and on the top of that the process for citizenship seems easier. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The citizenship issue is correct. As noted in this thread, the path to Taiwan citizenship without renunciation is now quite clear for Plum Blossom Card holders. The rationale seems to be that these folks have already been “vetted” by professionals, so they don’t need to be vetted again for the citizenship step.

But the 183 days part mentioned here by owleyes is news to me. I have not heard about any definite changes affecting Plum Blossom Card holders on this matter.


Only if your APRC is issued as a Non-professional . If your APRC is issued as a "Professional " , then you are entitled to 5 years away , without notice.

Correct. Because people who got it through marriage (even if they are professionals working here) are less worthy in the eyes of the government. Oh well, what has a parent of a little Taiwanese and forever spouse of one of Taiwan’s citizens has of importance to Taiwan, right? I mean, parenthood, and years of providing to the family is nothing, the best ones are the ones who come for job, have no family ties here and might leave at any moment, for those, sure, lets give them citizenship easily because Taiwan is more important for them.
Where is the sarcastic emoji?

Yes , sadly , Taiwan is still a long way from getting it right :pensive:

1 Like

How do you know if your APRC was issued as a “Professional”? Is there some distinction on the card?

Interesting question. My card says nothing about marriage on it, and doesn’t list my wife’s name.

I would disown you , after all this time , too. :joy:
I am not sure, but doubtful , that there is anything on the Card. It seems to be at the time of application , and there is a record at NIA. They can confirm on what basis it was applied for.

I honestly don’t even remember the basis I applied under. I suppose I qualified either way.

Quite a critical distinction, in terms of the 5 years rule. Silly really but …

Both cards are identical. So they must have a record in their files when you want to apply for citizenship that also works when you leave the country more than 183 days and they block you at immigration.