Advertising on Forumosa

I think Loretta’s cellphone advertisement thread on “Living in Taiwan” sets a bad precedent. Does anyone agree?

Sorry, not really. Why do you think that way? His thread provides useful information, guidance, and most importantly, a solution to a lot of foreigner headache problems and issues w/r/t cellphone service. That’s a good thing isn’t it?

I think it’s great! A foreign enterprise targetting foreigners - what could be a more appropriate thing for Forumosa than this? Alleycat’s, Satellite TV, and other start-from-scratch foreign-run enterprises deserve all the support they can get. :slight_smile:

I dunno, I thought there were supposed to be separate forums for advertising and for discussion. This is an advertisement, but it has been placed on a discussion board.

What is Forumosa’s policy on advertising, or isn’t there one? Surely you get some sort of revenue from the likes of Alleycats and Sat TV, with those great banners (and with the banners, at least they look like ads, not discussion threads).

Advertisements are supposed to provide accurate information and guidance anyway, YC, surely that goes without saying?

[quote=“smithsgj”]
Advertisements are supposed to provide accurate information and guidance anyway, YC, surely that goes without saying?[/quote]

Sure, so what’s inaccurate about the information provided?

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”][quote=“smithsgj”]
Advertisements are supposed to provide accurate information and guidance anyway, YC, surely that goes without saying?[/quote]

Sure, so what’s inaccurate about the information provided?[/quote]

Nothing at all… but why did you say it if you weren’t attempting to justify the placement of the ad in the discussion forum on those grounds?

I just find the whole thing a bit reminiscent of those newspaper ads masquerading as articles. “2 million men defeat baldness”.

:slight_smile:

Trying out a new banner size or the Desktop view of the website

2 Likes

Somehow this damaged the rest of the ads…
Screenshot_20180402-133146_1

That ad established itself as alpha and is now getting rid of all the betas, we need to get used to it.

All I can see is the word ADVERTISING…its quite minimalist.

The ads are still bugged… Or is “Oops! That page doesn’t exists” an advertisement itself?!

No, but separately for the last week or more I have no advertisement at the top of the Forum listings where I expect to see an advertisement. It’s just a huge empty space. Mac Book Air and Chrome

same no advert, chrome on windows pc

Been blank for awhile.

15%20PM

That’s because you are smart and absent minded, so you forgot that you have “ad blocker” installed :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey guys above us regular users, I have noticed that the link in the Amazon add doesn’t seem to be correct (an ID is missing), and although I already reported this to the highest authorities I also told them that I don’t think that Amazon banners are going to provide any sort of income to the Forumosa Gods. Who would be so stupid that needs or feels the urge to click on that banner when browsing Forumosa?

Please post their nicknames in the next post.

I mentioned that contextual advertisements would be the only ones that would make sense if we were going to place ads from big companies such as Amazon or other online shops. And I just saw that they exist (and I’m sure that there are other options from Amazon, and there’re definitively other options from Google and others).

https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/home/ads

So… the only objection is that maybe Forumosa would become something that users wouldn’t like. Personally I don’t see many ads because most of the time I access it from a PC, not from the cellphone, and I use adblocker which makes the Internet experience way better.

So anyway… just to let you know… although I’m sure you guys were aware of these things.

Oooops, just saw that the link doesn’t explain anything about contextual banners. will look for something better when I find some time for it.