Advice: apartment in XIMENDING AREA. Nice to live there?

Hi and thanks to all for all the advices!!! :notworthy:

I am looking for an apartment in Taipei, mostly in some downtown area. I live in Tien Mu now and I feel I am far away from everything, but the air and the environment here is nice.

I was thinking about Ximending, because I like the people and the shops… I used to live in the center in Barcelona, but I am not sure the thing is the same here…

I heard there are lots of rats and cockroaches ??? Whenever I ask to my Taiwanese friends or my Taiwanese boyfriend, they really despite the area and say I am crazy for wanting to move there.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!!!

West of Chungshan is generally a shittier area to live.

That area (the Wanhua and Datong districts - once the towns of Bangka and Twatutia) is the oldest area of Taipei, with a lot of run-down buildings…and the closer you get to the river, the shabbier it gets. But don’t let that discourage you…if you look around, you may find a gem of a place. And it is an interesting area given its age.

I’d give HsimenDing a thumbs down if you’ve just come from Tienmu.

They said it best.

You’re in Tiemnu, what about Shilin? It of course has the convenience of the MRT line which makes everything that little closer and more convenient. I’m presently living very close to Shilin MRT and I can honestly say I can’t think of anywhere better, unless I was still in my twenties and looking to get myself hooked up in a bar once every other night. :wink:

[quote=“elitxan”]Hi and thanks to all for all the advices!!! :notworthy:

I am looking for an apartment in Taipei, mostly in some downtown area. I live in Tien Mu now and I feel I am far away from everything, but the air and the environment here is nice.

I was thinking about Ximending, because I like the people and the shops… I used to live in the center in Barcelona, but I am not sure the thing is the same here…

I heard there are lots of rats and cockroaches ??? Whenever I ask to my Taiwanese friends or my Taiwanese boyfriend, they really despite the area and say I am crazy for wanting to move there.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!!![/quote]

I live in Ximending right now. After my apartment lease is over I’m going to look for somewhere more affordable than here. I have to pay for the privilege of being near the trendy area, and on hindsight, I’d live farther away for a cheaper rent. Also my window faces in the direction of the temple on Chengdu road with nothing big blocking it so every now and then I get to hear gongs and firecrackers. Also the occasional ambulance trying to take some poor soul through traffic to the hospital and no one will let them through.

It’s nice to walk around Ximending but it gets old after a couple weeks. There are a couple of good sit down restaurants but they get pricey if you eat there every day. The street food vendors are pretty good when the cops aren’t running them off. Most of the shops are clothing and shoes though.

But yes, there are lots of rats and cockroaches. Until it started raining recently I’ve had an infestation that came up through my kitchen sink. It was one every other day until I got up at 2 am and found a dozen chilling near my coffee pot. I got 10 of the bastards in that skirmish. No rats though in my place, but if you go to Ximending after things get slow at 11 or 12 you’ll see some gigantic fucking rats running around.

Yeah, ditto here in Datong District. Cockroaches, mosquitoes…I have to kill about 20 rats a year. Kill one lot and more will come up the drainpipe to replace them. We’ve got’em right now munching their way through packets of spaghetti or whatever takes their fancy. I imagine Wanhua would be even worse. Try Jiangzicui or elsewhere in Banqiao. Public transport will have you in central Taipei in a jiffy, and they tell me the rents are cheaper (maybe not in Jiangzicui.)

To the OP:

If you can afford it, Zhongshiao Fushing area, up to the Sun Yat-sen Memorial, is trendy, people, shops, restaurants, art galleries… and a bus/MRT ride away to Ximending. Closer to teh city and the “action”, but a step away from “close encounters with bugs of every kind”. Don’t expect miracles, though.