Advice for tricky rental situation

Sounds like a scam by the other resident, not the landlord, to steal your money.

I don’t know how to resolve.

But would be useful to know to whom your bank transfer was given.

1 Like

Go to the police. This is a scam.

3 Likes

Indeed. There was some publicity of a case involving a semi famous Japanese YouTuber who was scammed by people “renting” her a sublet, different from pictures, overcharging, making her life miserable so she would leave and then not giving back her money and deposit. Oh the kicker was they charged like 3 month deposit and monthly payment in advance, which is illegal. Remember: only two month advance.

2 Likes

Garauntee that if you make life a hassle for the homeowner, they will dump the person subletting. not saying be a pain in the ass. but if the actual landlord ends up with a tax notice, they will surely evict the D bag stealing money.

this situation seems easily solved with subtle hints of honest and innocent legal “inconveniences” coupled with logical evidence collection. I would also be sure to somehow get proof of their ID (full name, ID number and address specifically. picture is a major bonus if on official documents). in innocent data collecting fashion, obviously.

if the “middle person” is actually doing this to scam, they are scum and deserve some karma. But always make the effort to make things right before going to war. It could just be they are too lazy and entitled to sweep. a coffee could easily remedy that situation and result in a new friendship. That would probably be preferable, especially seen as said middle person is related to your career sphere.

In Taiwan, shit can escalate FAST! Choose your battles.

1 Like

this is where a basic education is truly important so people know their rights. there are loads of places in the cities to rent. I feel more for countryside areas where it can be very hard to find a home sometimes and people settle for bullshit.