Advice for tricky rental situation

Hello all,

This is my first time posting so I’m not sure exactly what to include…

The end of October I inspected and then agreed to move into a place, already two people living here and I was told I would get a rental contract, I specifically mentioned I need one to update my ARC information.

It’s now been close to 3 weeks and I have no contract and no direct contact with the landlord, one of the other tenants, now one of my current housemates, says he is the only person who speaks to the landlord.

Now I admit I was stupid by giving my 2 months bond on Monday before signing a contract and should have thought more, in Australia there are legal protections for tenants whereby bond must be returned if no contract is signed and everything for renting is very offical unlike Taiwan.

The housemate who talks to the landlord has “decided” he doesn’t want to live with me anymore and has asked me to move out, telling me that I will lose half of the bond and get 1 month back because it’s what the landlord says.

I don’t know where I sent the bond to, I don’t know if it was to the landlord or to my housemate.

I’m sure I have no way of getting out of this situation, but I do still have a key and can lock my room.

I read subletting is illegal in Taiwan, so I’m confused by this situation because it does seem like the landlord knows I’m here and it’s not just my housemate doing something dodgy.

I have asked to speak directly with the landlord and my housemate has said he “will ask if it’s okay”.

I feel like I forgot some things, but that’s the general gist, either way if I move out or stay I want to talk to the landlord directly.

1 Like

They want to break contract? They need to give back your money.

Did you pay by cash or bank transfer?

Not illegal. If the landlord wants to, they can allow it. Based on the contract.

Without a contract you won’t get far.

I wonder, are written statements legally binding here in Taiwan for these situations?

Do you have any written statement of them agreeing to rent you and asking for a 2 months deposit for that purpose?

1 Like

It’s still a verbal contract

2 Likes

If they don’t give your money back you could always call the police. Theft is theft. And weirdly enough the police take a fairly strict view towards the theft of money.

As Marco said they’re breaking the contract (that you never signed) so they need to return your bond and any unused rent. There should be a government department that deals with these kinds of things. Introduced after they made the fire safety changes to prevent overcrowding and give tenants an option to report dodgy landlords.

2 Likes

Yeah, i really hope you have some evidence that this money changed hands. Even text messages is better than nothing…

1 Like

If you are in Taipei, go to Tsui Mama association in Gongguan or Taipei City Hall consumer office. They can give you advice on this situation.

5 Likes

prove it. with recordings, sure. otherwise its 1 persons word against the other.

with no proof, the only way forward is collecting proof by getting the other party to admit things and have it recorded somehow. in writing, audio, video etc.

1 Like

I am not a lawyer, I know one though. But it’d be pretty sus if there is evidence of him living there, evidence of money exchanged and the landlord can’t back anything up.

1 Like

I have screenshots of all conversations

10 Likes

Oh. Beautiful!

1 Like

Bank transfer

6 Likes

Is there a free legal service in Taiwan that I can seek advice from?

I don’t know what to do and in a Facebook group there was suggestions to go to the police but I’m no sure if that’s a good idea.

1 Like

I gave you two. Both Tsui Mama and Taipei city are free.

Police would be a good idea to record the situation… before you move out. Do take pictures/video of the room before vacating.

You should have some witnesses on your side, hopefully locals or at least foreigners that can speak the language.

3 Likes

I would probably try this first. Report them for stealing. They want you to move out, but they do not return the deposit. Ask the police to come to talk to them and see if it can be worked out.

1 Like

The lawyer I have is not free. I suggest looking into @icon’s suggestions. If you need legal advice, you may request the contact of the lawyer if needed.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I’ll see what I can figure out

1 Like

I’d just start by using the free legal consultation and telling them they’re not keeping your money and you’re now contacting a lawyer (which would hopefully convince them to return it).

Perhaps ask for a letter of eviction, or equivalent. if you are evicted before the end of contract, they cannot keep the deposit, unless for damage etc. if you break the contract, then they can. although you dont have a contract, as evidence collection goes, that would be ideal. just telling them if they are keeping the money you need something in writing. sign nothing. just have it and use it. also admit to nothing in case you are being recorded.

4 Likes

Love this.

1 Like