Advice needed, please - employer NHI problems

I’d appreciate any advice here:
I’ve worked in Taiwan for over 20 years. My Taiwanese wife is retired. I’ve had an APRC for several years.
I work part-time, mainly to get NHI. This job normally only pays a few thousand NT per month. The rest of my income is non-taxable in Taiwan. I don’t need much to get by.
Two years ago, I arranged NHI for both me and my wife through my employer. She agreed to do this. As my wife is retired, this is the legal way to do it.
Now, my employer is claiming that I don’t qualify for NHI, and that she wants me to pay back the company’s NHI contributions for me and my wife for the past two years. (yes, I know this is bullshit, I’ve been through the mill more than a few times here).
Right now, I’m waiting for my wife to get home so she can call my boss.
In the meantime - has anyone else been in this position? What are my rights and responsibilities in this situation, should my boss refuse to budge? Yes, I could quit, and I will if she continues along these lines, but I’m just wondering what else I can do in this situation, legally speaking.
Cheers in advance for any help.

How old are you. That will allow more knowledgeable types to help you.

to contact to NHI office, and ask them. Or labor department.

If you are not qualified, the money the company paid for you may be returned to the company from NHI office, and you should pay the premium for the right category for you to NHI office. just guessing.

2 Likes

I’m 52, and semi-retired.

1 Like

Cheers - that would be my guess, too.

My wife is the same age - she was a public school teacher and retired from that role at 50 under the old system (she just made it before they changed the system).

UPDATE

• Received advice from a very helpful NHI Dept. rep
  • Told my boss what she told us
  • Boss suddenly agrees to forget the whole thing…surprise, surprise…
  • Life returns to “normal” again

I’ve done this kind of thing countless times over the past 20 odd years. It never ceases to amaze me the stunts some employers here will try to pull in order to save a few bucks.

Thanks to my wife for knowing how to “pai ma pi” while also stating a case.
I just shout at people. That sometimes works, but not often.

Thanks also to those who replied, and those who were thinking of replying. Cheers.

4 Likes