Advice on summary and paraphrasing

Everyone can do summary and paraphrasing. But is there a way to train it solidly and thoroughly.

I will take a test in Fu Jen (Fu Ren) University next April. I have to do a lot of summary and paraphrasing in the exams(Chinese and English)

Need a way or book to master such skills.
Maybe teachers or journalists or editors can give me a hand. Thank You thanks thx…

If you’re talking about the GITIS entrance exam, the best thing is to practice recognizing main points and supporting points. Writing traditional outlines in indented form is a good way to practice. You can also practice by watching brief news items, for example, and just telling someone what they said in 2-3 sentences, being careful to get the main points and leave out the “fancy stuff”.

Judging from what you’ve written (just in one short post here), however, I’d work on my English as well. The entrance standard for English is very high, and you’ve got misspellings and non-native usages (“I’ll have a test” should be “I will take a test”, for instance). I’m not trying to flame you, but if this is the test you’re trying to prepare for, it’s better to know in advance so you will know what to work on, right? You need to get away from “Taiwan-style English” as much as possible. It’s one of the main reasons otherwise qualified students either don’t get admitted, or are not allowed to continue with the program. (But maybe I’m guessing entirely wrongly and you are actually applying to another program.)

In any event, good luck!! :smiley:

I remember doing pr

[quote=“ironlady”]

You need to get away from “Taiwan-style English” as much as possible. It’s one of the main reasons otherwise qualified students either don’t get admitted, or are not allowed to continue with the program. (But maybe I’m guessing entirely wrongly and you are actually applying to another program.)

In any event, good luck!! :smiley:[/quote]

Actually, I AM preparing for that program. I have taken it this year. There is another program in Shi Da too. I did better in Shi Da but obviously not good enough.

Taiwan-style English is one of my weak spots. Preparing for this exam gives me a good chance to “renovate” my broken English. :blush:

Well, I’d advise you to worry much more about your English than about the summary exercises. Probably the best thing to do would be to get a couple of good, serious language exchanges with native English speakers (and Fujen tends to go towards American English, BTW – not sure about Shita) and work on changing your basic habits (like changing “I do prepare for” for “I am preparing for” – you need present progressive here, not habitual present tense). Try to listen to HOW your partner says things. Don’t worry about acquiring a lot of vocabulary – worry about being very accurate and native-like in the way you speak and express yourself in English. (I’m in the Fujen program so I know what I’m talking about. :smiley: )

Ironlady,

Thank you for your practical advice. I guess I need to change my habit of learning English entirely. Fu Ren’s information is precious because a guy told me that Fu Ren prefers British English. It is helpful to know the truth when I still have SOME time to prepare for it.

I hope to meet you over there next year. :laughing::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: