Advice on Taiwan visa requirements

I am considering a move to Taiwan and currently hold a Chinese tourist visa, as I want to look at getting a teaching job there. I am American so I also hold a US passport.

Would it be best if I go to Taiwan first while I apply for a jobs and wait for my paperwork to go through? Or a friend suggested I reside in Hong Kong until I get everything back…

Any help would be appreciated

For China it is best to get tge work visa in your hone country. They can or will send you back to get it, hard to fix it from hong kong, impossible from taiwan.

You mean for a mainland work visa, right?

I think OP is talking about getting a work permit for Taiwan, in which case there’s no problem.

ok great. so you can easily get a work permit for Taiwan if you are in Hong Kong when you apply for it?

Normally, you get a work permit (or technically your employer does) when you’re in Taiwan and have a firm job offer. Once you have the WP, you apply for an ARC.

Whether or not you need a visa (visitor aka tourist visa) instead of a visa-free entry when you apply for your ARC has been discussed many times. The short answer is it usually doesn’t matter.

thank you for your help!

1 Like

yea, sorry my mistake, i read it wrong. I was confused by the ‘chinese tourist visa’