Advice wanted for starting up a website for eco-/experiential tours in Taitung

Hey there,

This is Tortuga and me and my friends are starting a local tour website /company in Taitung, focusing on foreigners. We are working with Taitung government to provide local experiential tours, like have a day work with local farmers, aboriginal craft lessons, eco-hikings etc. We can’t arrange packages including transportation and accommodation since we’re not a travel agency. (But we can suggest) By law we can’t provide tour guides either (but interpreters are okay, and we will have English interpreters :wink: ). Just wondering if

1. anyone have any advises for us? like who would come to us, can be our first customers? and what are foreigners’ needs when visiting Taitung? What should we focus on? What can we do on the website? etc… any advises please!

2. anyone is interested to volunteer working for us? We need bloggers, photographers, marketing, or simply good travellers. We will give some free interesting tours as exchange! For example: 2-3 days green island trip, including to hike on the oldest path crossing the island and protect crabs crossing the road from the shore to the burrows… etc

Our website is not ready yet but will advertise on here soon :smiley: Wish us luck!

Let me know if there’s anything inappropriate I’m quite new on this forum and advises are really welcome. thanks!

Always some cheap ass looking for free stuff from foreigners .
Provide room and board or even a train ticket don’t be so cheap.

Best of luck with your endeavor. 台東 加油 !

1 Like

I think both of these might be important when choosing the experience. How difficult would it be for you to register as a tour operator/travel agency?

We will have some free walking tours, for those who would like to just have a look around in a town. Especially dulan, the town I live in. We cant arrange transportation really, unless we work with a travel agency. But maybe we should do that. Thank you so much!

Registing a type a travel agency (which can host foreigners) will need ntd 6 millions capital and 1.5 millon deposit, plus hiring a professional manager. I dont think we will get to that scale soon… However we can provide “activities” that dont require a lot of transportation arrangement, like a hiking, lesson, walking tour etc. There are already package tours in the east coast. Maybe I should promote our ‘activities’ to them :slight_smile: Also we can sell bnb seprately like booking websites but I think we will focus on tour first… We dont have many people! What type of tours would attract visitors?

Thank you guys so much for thinking for me!!!