Affordable, lively, reliable, exotic Blue Line restaurant?

A former class of mine have kindly offered to take me out for dinner. Here are the criteria:
[ul][li]Not too expensive. A few hundred for a meal, I’d say.[/li]
[li]Not too deathly quiet. There will be eight of us, and while they won’t be dancing on the table, they do like to have a bit of a laugh.[/li]
[li]Reliable. I don’t want them to lose our reservation or bring someone’s starter after someone else has finished the meal.[/li]
[li]A little exotic. Exotic, that is, for local people who don’t often eat foreign food. So it could be a decent burger joint, a middle-eastern type place, or anywhere else that’s not regular Taiwanese or Chinese fare.[/li]
[li]Near the Blue line.[/li][/ul]Any ideas? Forker’s might be alright- anyone know if their booking system actually works and eight people could sit down at the time they booked and get food reasonably soon?

Anywhere else?

What’s that pizza place at Xinpu? Le Rouge?

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]What’s that pizza place at Xinpu? Le Rouge?[/quote]That’s an idea. I’m not sure whether they’d want to go that far west - I think a couple of them change at Taipei Main on their way back from out east. But it’s definitely worth suggesting.

Even farther West is Bravo in Banqiao.

Lots of options near Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT. It’s about as centrally located as you can get on the blue line.

The Pizza Pub is by the Linsen south road stop. Something temple station. It might not be cheap enough.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]The Pizza Pub is by the Linsen south road stop. Something temple station. It might not be cheap enough.[/quote]That would be Shandao Temple station. Have you been to the Pizza Pub? Is it good?

I checked through the Zhongxiao Fuxing thread and nothing leaped out at me. Pie Boy sounds nice but I don’t think there’s enough variety for this purpose. If they don’t like pies and potatoes they’re stuck.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]The Pizza Pub is by the Linsen south road stop. Something temple station. It might not be cheap enough.[/quote]That would be Shandao Temple station. Have you been to the Pizza Pub? Is it good?

I checked through the Zhongxiao Fuxing thread and nothing leaped out at me. Pie Boy sounds nice but I don’t think there’s enough variety for this purpose. If they don’t like pies and potatoes they’re stuck.[/quote]
The Pizza Pub is a fun place. Sometimes they have a cheesy little band playing. The food is good. The pizza is one of the best in town.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“joesax”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]The Pizza Pub is by the Linsen south road stop. Something temple station. It might not be cheap enough.[/quote]That would be Shandao Temple station. Have you been to the Pizza Pub? Is it good?

I checked through the Zhongxiao Fuxing thread and nothing leaped out at me. Pie Boy sounds nice but I don’t think there’s enough variety for this purpose. If they don’t like pies and potatoes they’re stuck.[/quote]
The Pizza Pub is a fun place. Sometimes they have a cheesy little band playing. The food is good. The pizza is one of the best in town.[/quote]Oh, nice. I guess they have salad options and other stuff?

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“joesax”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]The Pizza Pub is by the Linsen south road stop. Something temple station. It might not be cheap enough.[/quote]That would be Shandao Temple station. Have you been to the Pizza Pub? Is it good?

The Pizza Pub is a fun place. Sometimes they have a cheesy little band playing. The food is good. The pizza is one of the best in town.[/quote]Oh, nice. I guess they have salad options and other stuff?[/quote]
They have the usual Italian stuff. I always get the lasagne. I don’t remember what the prices are. There’s a thread on it somewhere in here.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“joesax”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“joesax”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”]The Pizza Pub is by the Linsen south road stop. Something temple station. It might not be cheap enough.[/quote]That would be Shandao Temple station. Have you been to the Pizza Pub? Is it good?

The Pizza Pub is a fun place. Sometimes they have a cheesy little band playing. The food is good. The pizza is one of the best in town.[/quote]Oh, nice. I guess they have salad options and other stuff?[/quote]
They have the usual Italian stuff. I always get the lasagne. I don’t remember what the prices are. There’s a thread on it somewhere in here.[/quote]Thanks.

I searched before but couldn’t find anything. I’ll search again. I’ve never been defeated by the Forumosa search engine before, and I won’t let it get the better of me now.

It’d be a bit of a walk (10-15mins), but Dan Ryan’s is not that far from Zhongxiao Dunhua. That seems to be exotic and popular with Taiwanese.

Forkers should do you alright. From what I’ve seen, the problem is that they hold reservations too well: you walk in, there are two empty tables, and you’re told that they’re full. Meanwhile the tables sit, waiting for people to return.

Call them up and talk to Joe. He’ll take care of you.

I went by the Pizza Pub tonight. I didn’t realise it was inside the Sheraton. Looks nice and I do want to try it sometime but I think it’s on the pricey side for this particular gathering. Same with Dan Ryan’s, and that’s really quite far north. We’ll be meeting up on a work night so they really just want to hop off the MRT, have dinner, and get back on the MRT.

Thanks for the tips though.

[quote=“Jaboney”]Forkers should do you alright. From what I’ve seen, the problem is that they hold reservations too well: you walk in, there are two empty tables, and you’re told that they’re full. Meanwhile the tables sit, waiting for people to return.[/quote]That’s good to hear. I am tending towards Forkers. The price is good, there’s a fair bit of variety on the menu, and there’s a nice lively atmosphere. It’s something a bit different from the regular kind of American or Italian places too.

For students, I think Forkers is a good bet.
The salad portions are silly small; on the other hand, you get two of them.
And I wasn’t at all impressed with the spicy fries last time I was in there, but I’m still dropping in there every other week, so that’s still a big thumbs up.

[quote=“Jaboney”]For students, I think Forkers is a good bet.[/quote]They’re not actually students as in the very young, poor variety. They’ve got salaried jobs in a decent company. I dunno–maybe they’ll think Forkers is too cheap for the purpose of inviting teacher out for dinner. I’d be fine with a low-key place like that, but maybe they’ve got something slightly fancier in mind. Very hard to tell. Maybe I should suggest two or three places so they can make the choice.