Afghanistan is at war (again)

Taliban is thrashing the government. They already have more than 10 provincial capitals under their control, including the major cities of Herat and Kandahar. After all those lives and money wasted on these people. It’s a sad turn of events, especially for the Afghan women.

1 Like

It’s time for the West to butt out and let it play out. And the hypocrisy of bombing Taliban forces and then asking them to spare the embassy. That’s fucking embarrassing. I’m hoping for a stable Taliban rule that eventually opens up like Saudi Arabia is doing.

Yeah, was gonna say: Afghanistan is not gonna be at war for long, given how fast the Talibans are progressing.

Back to 2001 we go.

Nobody has ever ‘won’ in Afghanistan. It’s pointless trying.

6 Likes

Easy for you to say sitting back in your armchair in Taiwan or the US or wherever… certainly not in Afghanistan. I bet if you were a girl living there and trying to get an education, a return to barbaric and medieval Taliban rule is the last thing you’d want.

11 Likes

This is Vietnam all over again.

2 Likes

Exactly. Except the communist North Vietnamese were not nearly as brutal and vengeful on their conquered enemies, as these medieval Islamic fundamentalist savages will be on theirs. We will probably see a return to people getting publicly executed in the soccer stadiums.

1 Like

That’s just luck. But there will never be lasting change unless it comes from within. Having a long stable rule is the only hope.

1 Like

This is going against common thinking, but I disagree with the pullout. I think people forget the reason the US went there – “OIL!!” oh, wait not oil, the real reason – China. China was using the region as a proxy since the fall of the Soviet Union. Until the Chinese Communist regime which is hell bent on world domination collapses and stops malicious cooperative relations with Pakistan and Iran, the Allied Forces must maintain a strategic position in the region.

It might also be possible this whole “we’re leaving” marketing is a political head-fake to trick China/Iran/Pakistan.

In the long term, if the US wants to maintain entry point into Xinjiang to liberate the millions of oppressed Uighurs, they need Afghanistan as a jumping off point. The quad can also work together in the South China Sea to take care of the coastal areas so its not as burdensome.

In WWII, the Allied Forces were using the mountain paths through Burma to transport supplies into deep China, but this area has been destabilized in 2020 with the Myanmar Coup (probably backed by CCP to eliminate another entry point for Allied forces).

This leaves the Allies with fewer and fewer options - strategically I think that’s a bad thing. But maybe its a head-fake?

That’s what India is for…
They got people, land and a shared hatred of China.

2 Likes

lol… That will never happen. No one cares about the Uighurs enough to start a war with China. Nor should they. That would be a disaster.

1 Like

Again, easy to say since you’re not an Uyghur. You really lack empathy. You must have some ties to Taiwan if you’re posting on this forum; how would you feel if other countries take that mindset with us if we get invaded one day?

5 Likes

I have plenty of empathy. I’m just smart enough to tell it to shut up sometimes.

Taiwan is different. It’s very strategic. If someone comes to help us, it won’t be for empathy.

Gotta keep it real.

2 Likes

Then why not tell your lack of empathy to shut up too.

2 Likes

I think if Afghanistan stopped fighting, it would be newsworthy.

For an on-the-ground view Afghanistan, I can recommend Rory Stewart’s book about his trek across the country. If being a shithole were an Olympic sport, they’d have a whole collection of gold medals. They’ve turned shitholery into an art form. The “rights of women” is probably the least of their problems, and the fact that the US reconstruction teams even spent time writing reports about such things suggests that they never had a hope in hell of achieving anything there. In places like that, you start at the bottom and work your way up to first-world problems much, much later.

2 Likes

LOL was my reaction too. An entry point into Xinjiang for the US. lol I’m glad I wasn’t drinking coffee when I read that.

4 Likes

Come on, you’re just posting on this forum while these other guys posting are actually bravely parachuting into Afghanistan and Xinjiang to engage the Taliban and the Chicoms in hand-to-hand combat.

6 Likes

Step away from the Risk board (showing my age- I’m sure this is based on a new video game.)

2 Likes

Speaking of Afghanistan, I still haven’t read The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

2 Likes

Great books. I highly recommend them, along with ‘And the Mountains Echoed.’

1 Like