Africans

Wow…going to Taipei soon (I’m from a ‘rich’ European country) - but I’ve just done a tour of Southern Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe) and I loved it! Are there any people from these countries in Taiwan? Some of these countries are more ‘Western’ than Western countries. I can speak basic N. Sotho, so I’m keen…

There are loads of South Africans here. But the only other people from African countries I’ve met were from Nigeria and Ghana. Nobody I’ve met could speak N. Sotho; I only know some people who speak Xhosa as their native language.

and why are u going to taiwan then?

I’m going to Taiwan to learn Chinese. I figure that along with German and English, that would be the next best language to know. I used to know some basic French and Italian, but not enough to hold even a simple conversation. Maybe one day I’ll spruce up my French…
In Africa, I wanted to learn Zulu or Swahili, but ended up with N. Sotho. For some bizarre reason flights to Kenya cost more than flights to Asia or Europe. Also, I’ve been to Asia before, just not Taiwan. I always try to go to a new place. After Taiwan (money permitting), I hope to visit Japan. Then I guess it’s time for a real job…

ok…that’s a good reason…you got my blessing…=)
got any plans already? guess you haven’t looked up the prices for a ticket to Taiwan yet, otherwise you would know, that this is probably the most expensive destination you can go in Asia…unless your under 25 and a student.
what school are you planning to go to? You do know, that you need a high school degree for the Universities language schools, do you…

mesheel, I too am from the great country…and the great the great city…although I truly believe that ours’ is the best… yes I know Taiwan is expensive - but we’ve always got the best place to go to…uf wiederluege…

your so called great city is crap compared to TPE. once you’ve been there for a while, you’ll know what i mean…
if you need any help let me know…

Let the crocodiles in hell feast on your flesh for eternity, motherfucker

This news brightens my mood. It’s not every day a monster so cartoonishly evil dies.

“In any country there must be people who have to die. They are the sacrifices any nation has to make to achieve law and order.”

On edit: Oh, that whacky auto-censor. Obviously “pleasant young person” is supposed to be “motherf####r

“Big Daddy” Idi Amin is dead. Excellent news. He truly was a monster.

That was a good article in the NYT about him. It sounds like he and Saddam Hussein possessed some of the exact same traits of leadership: a talent for survival, personal strength and courage, an ability to measure opponents weaknesses; capricious, impulsive, violent, aggressive, shrewd, ruthless cunning, and an endless capacity to consolidate power with calculated terror.

Maybe soon the world can also celebrate the death of Saddam.

and why the hell did never really anybody care about the guy having a luxury life in saudi arabia? i’d say cause his victimes where “only” africans…but this would be another threat…

Uh . . . Mesheel, there are certain conventions that are observed when a deposed dictator is given asylum. Among them are that he gets a free pass on all of the atrocities that he committed. Hey, bygones!

Saddam Hussein would have gotten the same sort of deal from any number of countries in the Middle East if he’d just walked away back in January. Nobody (except perhaps the host country, which would have probably gotten at least some largesse from Saddam) would have liked it much, but he probably could have gotten away with it.

A more important question, to me anyway, is why so many people very publicly “didn’t care” about Saddam’s current brutalities against Iraqis (prior to his getting bombed out of existence), or why so many people right now “don’t care” about Kim Jong Il’s treatment of practically everyone in North Korea. But that’s for another thread.