Afternoon Bars, Drinks, Early Happy Hour

Le Blanc has no corkage fee so for pre-dinner drinks, you could go to your table early and start on your bottle before you order (or while you wait for others to arrive). I don’t know how long I would want to hang around there after your meal, but I guess you could make full use of what I believe is 90 minutes.

1 Like

Fourplay is the closest cocktail pub style.

Directly north near Zhongxiao has five or six pubs within 10 minutes.

15 minutes to Anhe Road area has dozens of pubs and cocktail bars and speakeasies secret entrances.

1 Like

Anybody know of any good early-ish happy hour drinking type spots in the north part of Taipei these days? It’s slim pickings.Three Lions opens early (though I barely even count that as a bar), then Malibu at 4, and Crafted and Brass Monkey at 5. Everything else I know of is later.

Party Exit opens at 4, but it’s a bottle shop, not a full bar.

2 Likes

I think it’s mostly beers at the park from the convenience store.

That whole area focuses on late night early morning party so I’ve kind of given up trying there in the daytime.

I’ve been meaning to check this Corner hostel that might have beer but I’m not sure.

I’ve heard that Roxy 36 on Jinshan South Road works for afternoons and even late mornings. Music is also probably good.

Jinshan S Rd No. 222

What is all you got is “I’ve heard”?

I appreciate the effort.

not just TW, most of the (non-islamic) world outside of the US u can drink as you pls, maybe just not glass bottles/glasses late at night for noise/safety concerns, but nothing regarding the alcohol consuption itself

I originated from canada. we had public drinking laws, standard. they also have actual prohibition in some parts. Not Muslim at all, all social related.

Ok, let’s edit to the north American region. It sounds quite sad tbh

Doesn’t Sweden have some restrictions on this. I seem to remember that New Zealand does too. If Mexico has such laws, they are completel unenforced.

My guess is that Protestant countries tend to regulate public drinking more.

1 Like

In Italy underage alcohol consumption per se isn’t illegal, just the sale of alcohol to minors (beer completely allowed at 16, everything else at 18).

So here’s a list of places that I think fit the bill:

Little Creatures, near Zhongxiao Fuxing area. Draft beer and food, opens at noon every day.

Buckskin Beerhouse, Nanjing E Rd., Sec 2, open from 11:30am daily.

The Adlon (formerly Carnegie’s) still open during the day time.

23 Public House opens at 12:30 W-Sun. 4:30 on M-Tue.

Rongjin Gorgeous Time (the former prison). There’s a place in there that serves beer and other drinks as well as Japanese food. It’s actually quite nice. I was there on a long weekend though, must have been 10/10, maybe that Monday or Tuesday… Google says that they open at 11am.

Google says that Roxy 36 is open from 10am-4am every day. I didn’t even know that there was yet another incarnation of Roxy. I checked their website and it says that they are not licensed as a bar, but as a cafe/restaurant, so you MUST order food to get a drink.

Three Lions at Maji Square is no longer open on weekday afternoons.

Other than that, the big corporate places already mentioned: Friday’s, Chili’s, Hooter’s, GB and probably also Texas Roadhouse.

Friday’s and Hooter’s always have afternoon drink specials/happy hours. Friday’s in particular has good drink offers from 3-6pm on weekdays during off peak eating hours.

Only other place I can think of it Woobar at the W Hotel, quite pricey. Any good hotel bars out there that aren’t too pricey and have a decent crowd during a weekday afternoon?

I know what you mean about how hard it can be in Taipei to find these kinds of places. Even in Seoul you could find places in Itaewon for this sort of thing. Where do the idle rich in Taipei go to get shifaced on a weekday afternoon?

3 Likes

Also Maji Square has just recently undergone quite a lot of changes. I don’t know if any of the new places in there are serving booze on weekday afternoons. Again, Three Lions doesn’t open until 4pm now, been like that at least a couple years now.

I wish some of the sleazy bars nearby in the old Combat Zone would be open during the day, besides Sundays.

2 Likes

So here’s a quick update.

Little Creatures doesn’t have happy hour until 3pm and it ends at 5pm. It is a proper happy hour, buy one get one on their delicious draft beer. They also have bar bites as part of happy hour. When they open at noon, they have a business lunch, not bad and there are a lot of hot young chicks in there during that time.

Hooters always has monthly specials that start from opening time until 6:30. Just one or two things and then their full happy hour starts at 3pm, ends at 6:30.

Chili’s is not an ideal place for afternoon drinking, as they don’t have any specials and they take a few hours off from 2:30-5:30.

Friday’s happy hour M-F offers seem to vary by location. But again, it’s a proper happy hour and each day is something different on offer, from 3-6pm during off peak eating times.

4 Likes

I made the mistake of going into the latest “Roxy” incarnation once, for about 45 seconds. It’s a severe abuse of the Roxy brand name for those of us from the olden days. Definitely a cafe that just happens to have a bar.

Yeah, Maji now has more bars than ever, but all nighttime. Even Crafted, which used to be primarily a daytime and early evening place, now opens at 5 PM on weekdays. 2 PM on weekends, though.

Malibu West on the periphery of the remnants of the Combat Zone has been abandoning afternoons, too. Opens at 5 PM now even on weekends. They said they just didn’t have anyone showing up earlier than that.

Carnegies is holding strong with the daytime hours, which is shocking, because the handful of times I’ve been there in daytime (opposite end of town from me or I’d go more often) it is quite dead. I’m usually the only customer.

How are there no day drinkers in this whole city? Not even weekends or happy hour on weekdays? Tf, people?

1 Like

the only thing they got right was the location, pretty much right where 99 used to be. God I miss that place…

Also a shame to hear that Malibu West doesn’t even open early on Sundays now, they seemed to get a decent crowd on Sunday afternoons.

Just another place that I thought of… the gay bars in the Ximen area are usually open during the day time on weekdays. Maybe not all of them, but at least a couple. And it’s nice, outdoor seating with an awning in case it rains and to protect you from the sun. And it’s not that gay during the day time, if that’s not your scene… and not that there’s anything wrong with that.

another serious problem is staffing. it’s really difficult for places to find people willing to work full time in the food service/bar industry. there are fewer young people and these p***y @$$ kids these days don’t want to work full time at bars or restaurants. day time is going to be slower compared to evenings and nights for bars, so if they don’t have the staff, they’re only going to be open during the times when they can make the most money, simple and logical. I did read that the government is making an effort to bring in more foreign workers (most likely Filipinos) to work in restaurants and bars to help alleviate this problem, because it has become a pretty serious problem for a lot of bars and restaurants.