Afternoon hangouts?

What’s with this town, is everyone sleeping in the afternoon ???

Most pubs/restaurants/etc don’t open until early evening, and don’t really get started until later.

Any suggestions for afternoon hangouts ?

Tienmu. Up the hill a short way, there is an Italian Restaurant with outdoor seating. One doesn’t need to order food.

If you like sitting on the street on a sunny afternoon, having a few and watching the peoplegoby, another option is a seafood restaurant. Order a couple of light snacks (you don’t really even have to do this) and plenty of drink.

Bri

The recommended Italian Place in Tien Mu is probably “Diamond Tony’s” - they are just next to my apartment and responsible for sleepless nights because of the “nice outdoor seating” Anyway, expatman: I feel even better for afternoons is the Haagen Dazs (Psuedo-Scandinavian Icecream from the US) next door: outside under a tree with nice music.

Thanks for the Tianmu info. people, but come on … Tianmu is not the only place that offers food in the afternoon. Seafood restaurant?! There’s a lovely idea. It’s time for expatman to climb out of his hole, 'cause Taipei is chock full of cafes and tea houses that serve beer and food in the afternoon. Granted, some of this food may not live up to the scrumptious cuisine served at overpriced restaurants with nasty decor - only open for dinner - but it is there for the taking. And I’d like to know how a quiet, working-day afternoon in Taipei differs from an afternoon in expatman’s hometown, where I assume people begin to party on the streets at … oh, say 9a.m.

Like Shita Road, like has, like, quite a few cafes open all day, you know. And you know, I think there are lots of cool cafes all over the city, you know? Like Starbucks. You can get coffee too, in cafes, you know. Oh, and like there’s Jakes, and Granma Nitti’s and Swensons with milkshakes, you know?
VVG and Cafe Tutto are bitchin hangouts, dude
and don’t forget 45 is open from lunchtime onwards and have some killer subs…but the urine smell is like totally unbearable in the midafternoon.

But seriously, this sure is a silly question, don’t you explore, expatman??

Good news for you ExpatMon
Malibu West is now open from 11a.m.
You can get pissed, play pool, whatever to your hearts content.
Here is the address
www.taipeipubs.com

Fountain Coffee, corner of Xinyi Rd and DunHua S. Rd, next to Dante Coffee shop is a nice place and it has free wireless too! :thumbsup:

Where in Tainan?..where in Tainan?

TC, check out Taiwanfun.com. They list dozens of cafes in Tainan. Jiankang road seems to have an endless number of cafes.

A small contribution to this topic is too difficult to resist. We (Carnegie’s) have a nice balcony to sit out on any given afternoon. Parasols to shade you from the sun when it deigns to appear and an awning to shelter you from the rain. Prices are Happy Hour prices each afternoon. Teas and coffees are also available as well as a full a la carte menu; pretty much everything really. Not only that but Efi, who works the daytime seems to be developing a bit of a cult following amongst a certain strata of our more appreciative customers.

Cheers,

Bob Marshall
General Manager
Carnegie’s Taipei
(& Singapore for the time being)

If you want a nice relaxed atmosphere and you have a few hours to kill say on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I would suggest you venture down to the Danshui river. Towards the end where the mouth hits the ocean there are loads of outdoor bar/restaurants that have great atmostphere and you’re right along the coastline. They have jetski rentals available or you could just lay out on the beach. There’s even a bar out there that serves 50 imported beers which is the largest selection at any one place in Taiwan. It’s a wonderful place for a nice relaxed lazy Sunday afternoon.

Oh and of course there’s always Cafe India if you happen to be in Tian Mu. Cheers.

[b]Caf

[quote=“TpeBob”]A small contribution to this topic is too difficult to resist. We (Carnegie’s) have a nice balcony to sit out on any given afternoon. Parasols to shade you from the sun when it deigns to appear and an awning to shelter you from the rain. Prices are Happy Hour prices each afternoon. Teas and coffees are also available as well as a full a la carte menu; pretty much everything really. Not only that but Efi, who works the daytime seems to be developing a bit of a cult following amongst a certain strata of our more appreciative customers.

Cheers,

Bob Marshall
General Manager
Carnegie’s Taipei
(& Singapore for the time being)[/quote]

Carnage is without a doubt the best venue for an afternoon session.

Moga is also a good alternative. Attentive service, good food and not terribly crowded. It’s on Anhe Rd, just a couple of blocks down from Carnegie’s, next to the NikoMart and 235 bus stop, across the street from the Post Office and 7-11s.

The cafe shops Cafe Indian Raja speaks of are great places no doubt…if you have the time.

Coffee and Tea 18hr at the corner of Anhe and DunHua S. Rd, across the street from 24hr Eslite bookstore is a very nice afternoon hangout place. Quiet, hardly anyone there when I’ve visited. Teas are very good. Coffee decent.

Mucha I wish it were as easy as that. That web site is about as useful as tits on a bull. There must be somewhere in Tainan that is open in the afternoon that simply serves draft beer, but dammed if I can find it.