Agents for musicians in Taiwan

Hi all,
I am a jazz performance major from Canada (double bass) working as an English teacher and doing music on the side. If ever possible, I would love to eventually be able to earn money playing music gigs, either part time while still teaching English for fewer hours or full time at some point (although i’m aware i’m dreaming big here).
I’ve heard about music agencies from acquaintances in the field that you can apply to and, if hired, they could get you gigs and help apply for an artist visa.

My qestion is : Anyone here know how to find one of these agencies?
Can they really help you get a work permit or is there some illegal stuff going
on?
Is it worth it to seek out employment with them?

Thanks!

I don’t know but unless you are Jolin your chance of making even beer money playing music on the side is very low.

Perhaps Mike Mclaughlin can help, but even he’s struggling, and he’s a great musician.

2 Likes

There are gigs to be had. Some nice venues around. There are a ton of really good musicians around.

The problem is pay. I’ve always spent more on drinks and food at the places I’ve ever played at. Before COVID there wasn’t any money in it.

I remember making several hundred USD each weekend back home in the 80s. Hard to imagine making that here.

So, you have open-work rights as a JFRV holder or APRC holder? If so, you can do anything you want and there are lots of opportunities for you. However, if you don’t have open-work rights, then you must have someone sponsor a work-permit for you which is going to be much more difficult.

You’re not working (illegally) on the side, are you?

I could be wrong but I think they changed the rules to allow performances etc where this hobby is a very small portion of income. I think this change happened several years ago.

OP should search this forum and the Taipei Times for an answer to this question about the right to work

1 Like

Well now, to be fair, we should never say things like,

Instead, we should research things carefully and give out proper advice because otherwise someone could end up like our old buddy Scott Ezell who got in big trouble for engaging in activities that were inconsistent with his visa status and got deported for it. Remember that?

So, it’s either, “The law has been changed and here’s the relevant official reference.”

Or

“The laws have not been changed and here’s the relevant official reference.”

1 Like

I cannot find the content of the notice, but it is 勞動部104年9月18日勞動發管字第1040511452號.

there they say foreigners with certain kinds of resident permits can apply. each local government may have this kind of platform.

https://cloud.culture.tw/frontsite/inquiry/cityAndCountyTheme.do?method=view

1 Like

But, but…you DO have to apply and be approved, is that not correct?

yes, you need to get certificate to perform at designated places.

2 Likes

Excellent official information. @tando You’re always quick on the trigger with the good stuff! Thanks.

This is related to busking at MRT stations and places like that. Everyone needs a license to play there, not just foreigners. The permit is kinda tricky to get as you have to audition for it, and it’s competitive. And 99% of the license holders who do play are utter shit, only playing shit people want to hear.

It doesn’t answer the question as to whether or not you can play at private venues.

no. they just need to register now. someone brought it to court, and they say government judge the performers is illegal.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/LawClass/ExContent.aspx?media=print&ty=C&CC=D&CNO=806

in some cases you can, but should not be paid.

https://laws.mol.gov.tw/FLAW/FLAWDOC03.aspx?datatype=etype&N2=1070507378&cnt=1&now=1&lnabndn=1&recordno=1

已持有本部核發工作許可者,於工作之餘,因個人興趣於公開場所提供短期表演或無償表演者,例如:
於親友家中公園或酒吧舉辦之生日派對上彈奏樂器為親友慶生
至酒吧等場所,因一時興起上臺表演,場所並未給付外國人任何報酬,亦未向其他客人收取費用
與朋友組成之樂團在酒吧於固定或不固定時段表演,外國人並無預定之表演節目,酒吧亦未給付樂團任何報酬
與一群愛好表演話劇的人自發性地參與表演,表演者均無獲取相當對價報酬,而表演者與參與之觀眾共同分攤場所的租金及清潔費用等

here is the requirment to get a work permit as an employed performer.
https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=58B2636709C308AB

the requirment to get a work permit without an employer
https://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/cp.aspx?n=8BDC9560BC975DAC&s=BE950A154544288D

1 Like

Here is one article I guess I read some time back.

It didn’t come to me in a dream. It wasn’t something I heard from someone’s cousin’s boyfriend. I read it in the GD newspaper.

1 Like

That’s harsh, they never offered you (limited) free drinks and food?

1 Like

They probably will but it’s certainly up to each individual venue, and the free drink and food will certainly be extremely limited, and not in any way compensation for the low cost service you are providing.

Basically, do not think to play music for any money at all. Unless you are Jolin, accept that you will likely not be paid much, if anything at all.

Of course there are a number of free drinks and sometimes an appetizer but I still end up owing.

I do remember playing with one group here where if we could bring in a good crowd. On those nights we’d get maybe 2-3k each.

Bloody stingy that is. You’d think they’d give you a few shots of whiskey and a sandwich. I’m not being sarcastic but yes seriously stingy.

1 Like

Like I said, they’d give you some drink tickets but I can drink like a fish.

It’s never even close to break even. Rehearsal studio rental, buying gear, buying costumes, hair, makeup, massages, gym fees.

I love playing. I’ve been doing it almost 40 years.

2 Likes

think outside the box. advertising, games, media, education etc etc. every industry pays for sound.

3 Likes